Symmetry

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Symmetry

Postby TBruning » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:22 am

Symmetry.
I use external programs to create and modify details/parts of my MakeHuman Creations as I'm sure others do as well.
Unfortunately, because MakeHuman exports an asymmetrical model/mesh/object, this can be a very slow going and
tedious process as I tend to make changes intended to modify both the left and right sides of the model.
A perfecly symmetrical base mesh would help ease tedium and speed such processes along.
TBruning

Re: Symmetry

Postby Manuel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm

It's perfectly symmetrical.
In example, using maketarget script for Blender, you have the "symm" buttons to quickly mirror left side or right side: this is possible because perfect symmetry.

Why do you think it's not symmetrical?
Manuel

Postby TBruning » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:30 am

Hmm.. After exporting to .obj format, I imported my creation into LightWave to make some modifications and found very little of the mesh to be symmetrical. Maybe the problem I encountered had something to do with LightWave's .obj importer. I'll try importing into Blender and Exporting to LightWave's native .lwo format from there. Thanks for replying.
TBruning

Postby TBruning » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 am

After Exporting mesh to both .obj and .dae formats, neither appeared to be perfectly symmetrical in Blender nor LightWave.
Nuh uh. I tried exporting the unmodified mesh that MakeHuman starts with and that wasn't symmetrical, though some parts/areas of each mesh objects were, most were not. Have you guys tried doing any of this to test symmetry of exported objects?
TBruning

Postby pistacja » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:19 am

I'm using max and it looks pretty symmetrical to my. Maybe it's something with the import/export plugins? If you post a picture showing the unsymmetrical areas you'd probably get more help or we all could compare it to what we get.
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Postby TBruning » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:26 pm

The two captures ( Upper-left and Bottom-right ) in this image shows areas of the mesh that are asymmetrical.
In the production of both said captures all points on the right side of each mesh were selected while symmetry
mode was on. The light-grey points on the left side are areas of the mesh that were not selected automatically.
( LightWave automatically selects any points that mirror points selected by user while symmetry mode is on )

The capture in the Upper-right corner shows that the center points of the mesh are not aligned with Blender's
vertical center.

I understand that the mesh objects appear symmetrical ( at least from a distance ) and the difference appears
negligable. Technically, on the ther hand, they are not. This is problematic when trying to modify certain areas
of my MakeHuman mesh objects.

One workaround, in LightWave, at least is to select all the points and/or polygons on one side of the mesh
( without symmetry mode active ), delete and then mirror the remaining polygons. However, there are
caveats to this approach as well. First and foremost, doing this causes the UV vertex map to mirror thus
causing only one side of the UV image maps to be used for both sides of the body. Second, it's a slow and
tedious process if you plan on editing more than one MakeHuman creation, this approach becomes a terrible
time-consumer.
TBruning

Postby mmff » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:56 pm

??? Possibly, My Lscript might be able to be used.
It is a very simple code.
There might be a little wrong part.
(Translate with the translation software. )

http://vip.45.kg/ise/
http://vip.45.kg/ise/mh_symm.zip
mmff

Postby TBruning » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Very nice script. Works like a charm. Thanks.
TBruning

Postby crayotic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 am

I have the same thing happening in MAX (just posted a report in the bugs forum). It appears to only be an problem with the torso though, and not the head, itself. Have not checked the tongue or teeth, though.

What's even worse is that I can't just delete half and mirror/weld it again, because they're not all equally off the centerline. They vary slightly (and some surrounding vertices with them). It may be an issue with MAX (I'm using version 8) perhaps, but it is very frustrating, nonetheless.
crayotic

Postby Manuel » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 am

In MH phoenix the obj exporter will be rewritten in python. I hope this will solve the problem.
I'll post here some objs to test as soon the new exporter is ready.

Ciao,

Manuel
Manuel

Return to User contributions