Anyone got mocap libbares for any makehuman skeleton?

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Anyone got mocap libbares for any makehuman skeleton?

Postby ROCKINFOXY2365 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm

I'd like as many make human mo cap libraries( such as bvh) as possible so I can make a make human model, pick the armature associated with a walk animation and make it walk in blender, for later use in unity. Can someone please send me a link to such mo cap files as I cannot find any that are made to any make human armatures. Also a tutorial. With plenty of clear, step by step instructions narrating every move and action are welcome, I can't get enough of that. Please help and thank you for your time.
ROCKINFOXY2365

Re: Anyone got mocap libbares for any makehuman skeleton?

Postby jujube » Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 am

There is a CMU mocap library available. This page links to bvh conversions that are compatible with blender. People converted them differently for use in poser, daz, 3dsmax, and motionbuilder. (they're the same pose but presumably formatted differently).
http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/resources.php
https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/ ... on-capture
I'm guessing you saw the ones that were made for motionbuilder skeleton, and wanted one that fits the MH base skeleton. I don't remember which one works best with makehuman's skeleton, but I did get them to work. Using the MHX2 format was the most reliable IIRC.

(Skip the first two if you already have MHX2 and makewalk)

1. Exporting with MHX2
Google to find the MHX2 plugin.
Download, unzip, and place the unzipped folder in the plugins folder of your makehuman installation, in C:\[place you put the makehuman folder]\makehuman-1.1.1-win32\plugins
(The plugin folder is called 9_export_mhx2 and has these things in it:
tttt.PNG
tttt.PNG (5.14 KiB) Viewed 13053 times
)

2. Import with MHX2.
Download the zip files of the MHX2 import blender addon and makewalk blender addon. Addons are installed by file -> user preferences -> install add-on from file -> clicking on the zip folder containing the addon.
Enable addon to import the human. Save settings.
makewalk, when enabled, is located in a tab in the left-hand ribbon thing that you expand by clicking the plus.

3. Animating the human
What I did just now that worked for me:
Open blender 2.79
Import mhx2 human
Select the armature/rig/skeleton in object mode
Press "load and retarget" button at the top of the MakeWalk tab
Navigate to the place I put the cmuconvert-daz bvh files and pick one at random
It works flawlessly, except the animation is a little weird, but that might just be a flaw with the database. Also, the toes don't move, so it looks weird if you don't give the characters shoes, lol.
(for example, I tried folder 01, animation 01 just now. the animation works in a technical sense but the poor character's elbow is bending the wrong way......)

(I tried with a .dae file and just as I recalled, it doesn't work. It has to be MHX2, apparently.)
jujube

Postby jujube » Wed May 09, 2018 2:22 am

More tips.

I believe that in the CMU folder, the numbered folders are the test subjects. The files are numbered in in the form of [subject number]_[trial number].bvh.

This page lists all their data, search for the ones with "walk".
http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php?subjectnumber=%&motion=%
For example on this page subject #2, trial #1 is "walk". So the bvh file is named 02_01.bvh, located in folder 02.
or go by motion category, here is all the walks http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/search.php?maincat=3&subcat=2

https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/ ... ly-release
The cgspeed page splits up the data into many parts as there are apparently 144 subjects.
So that's why you should look at CMU's listings to find which of the many zip files will contain walking animations.

The videos on this channel/playlist also show the animations. Someone else apparently got them working with makehuman and blender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZqQ3T7 ... IsyOTkGOFK

...Actually, maybe i should ask them how they did it. The hopping animation I tested has the character's arm behaving normally. They may be using the bvh files optimized for motionbuilder + the motionbuilder (or whatever other simple skeleton) previously available with makehuman.

Oh also, one of the files included with the zips says this:
cmu-mocap-index-spreadsheet.ods wrote:CMU says: “When browsing for motions, start with the higher numbered subjects first.
The lower numbers contain some of our earliest motion capture sessions, and may not be as high quality.”
jujube

Postby RobBaer » Wed May 09, 2018 2:56 pm

In addition to the CMU libray mentioned by Jujube, the female (but not the male) .bvh files in the AACAD collection work well and should certainly get you started (https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/smith.35 ... p_data.htm).

You could/should export the Makehuman with the CMU skeleton and then use MakeWalk plugin in Blender to apply the animation. Be sure to set you final frame beyond the end of the last frame of the .bvh file. Now you've got the motion on the MakeHuman character and can use downstream tools to transfer it to other skeletons appropriate for you game engine or other environment.
RobBaer

Postby jujube » Wed May 09, 2018 4:40 pm

RobBaer wrote: Be sure to set you final frame beyond the end of the last frame of the .bvh file.

Oh yeah forgot about that too. Some of the animations are quite long. (Sort by file size to see which ones). There's something in the makewalk tab or "load and retarget" dialog (don't remember, on mobile rn) that lets you choose how many frames to import. Otherwise they will get cut off at 250 frames, and you won't see the rest even if you view more frames via the animation bar at the bottom.

(Similar issue when exporting bvh. It's 1 to 250 by default. To export pose for usr in MH, change it in the export dialog (not the animations timeline) to only export one frame))
jujube

Postby ROCKINFOXY2365 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm

OMG! THAT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!! Thank you SO much! :D
This problem has been solved, thanks to jujube the miracle worker.
Thanks again man :D
ROCKINFOXY2365

Postby jujube » Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 pm

You're very welcome. :)
jujube

Return to Tutorials