Scavenger thread

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Scavenger thread

Postby wolgade » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:Using these assets on characters that appear in projects like videos and pictorials doesn't violate copyright because using several different computer programs to create art is part of that whole "royalty free usage" thing

Publishing a 2D representation of these assets doesn't violate copyright laws, because you paid for this right when you bought the asset. You can publish any rendered image done with these assets.
However, it is quite another to share the assets themselves

Very much another. As far as I remember DAZ' license, it's considered a straight copyright violation. You bought the right to use these assets and publish your rendered images. You didn't buy the right to publish the asset itself.
I really would like to share because some of these assets are really well done.

They are extremely well done and their creators try to earn money by selling them. There's nothing wrong about this. It's a very bad idea to publish DAZ stuff in the user repo. It will create legal trouble for Joel. Once Joel had his share of legal trouble he might decide to simply get rid of it by taking down the user repo. I really wouldn't like this to happen. If I remember correctly something like this already happened to MH a few years back. At the end of the day user created assets were abandoned because some people posted DAZ stuff.

Every single user has the right to publish assets. Every single user has the obligation to exercise this right in a responsible way. General rule of thumb: If in doubt, don't publish.

BTW: Welcome to the community. First woman here?
wolgade

Postby MargaretToigo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You are correct, if in doubt, don't publish -- or at least ask somebody about it before doing so. I certainly don't want to cause any legal problems here because this is a very important resource for me. (BTW, I love your diamond ring and earrings, very pretty with the materials applied.)

Besides, what I did to get the Daz assets into MakeHuman and Blender can be done by anyone with intermediate skills -- that script I linked in my previous post is essential to the process -- and the free version of Daz 4.9 comes with a lot of assets.

Back in the day, I was often the only woman on a job -- a benefit of being in the tech business in the 1980s and 90s -- but not so much nowadays. I note from the selection in the user contributed assets that there must be a lot of straight men here, but I don't go all feminist outraging about that because I happen to need such assets for a scene I'm working on, which takes place in a gentlemen's club.

As I work on my project, I will try to share some of the original assets, such as that MAGA hat, I create for it. I often rely upon the work of others, and I want to give back in some way.
MargaretToigo

Postby loki1950 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 am

Hi Margaret you might have a look at http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.ca/2016/0 ... orter.html it's written by Thomas Larsson one of our code mavens it even has a routine to convert DAZ hair styles to particle hair systems I have used it succesfully when I bother to boot Windows ;) .BTW you are not the only lady on board just one of the few that has posted check out the qipao in the asset repo for just one.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Marco_105 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:52 am

The tricks for Daz Studio is very interesting, maybe you can find another way to share your assets than the repo. At the opposite we don't know if some company use repo's assets also... Some of them are very high quality !
Marco_105

Postby learning » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:I will wait to hear back from some folks here before posting anything.

I'd say it's "when in doubt, share". In fact, even if you know that there are laws against sharing, share anyway, because information should be free. If you are afraid to post something on the forum proper, just post it on some anonymous file sharing service and post the link here.
learning

Postby learning » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 am

I'll post the haircut for Asian characters that I mentioned in my thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15977 here. It is the one from a character named Makoto Makimura from a game called Yakuza: https://cunihinx.deviantart.com/art/Mak ... -726015668 By the result of that thread I did a remap and retexture for it so that it'd work better out of the box. It still looks like this:
preview.png

I also ripped other Asian girl hair from the same game series, the one of the character called Noa. I found the model on the same deviantart page as the previous one, but I can't find the exact link right now because the site doesn't work for me. It looks like this:
preview.png

Please check if everything works ok for you and use for your own pleasure.
Attachments
noahair.7z
(409.61 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
makotohair-retex.7z
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 783 times
learning

Postby jujube » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm

wolgade wrote:BTW: Welcome to the community. First woman here?

Not quite, I'm a woman too (been here since 2015) :P
jujube

Postby wolgade » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:13 am

Well, I posted this question more than a year ago and was told immediately by other users that you're also a woman. So, we have two of them? :D
wolgade

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:24 pm

Well I was going to refrain from comment but this is getting extreme lol...Woman here ....hand up for roll call. :S

Also I think you will find there are many more in such communities ;D
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby learning » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:11 pm

Indeed, the whole "omg there are women on the internet!" trope is getting a bit old.
learning

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions