Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby wolgade » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 am

What a nice jacket. This should be available in the user repo.
wolgade

Postby o4saken » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 pm

wolgade wrote:What a nice jacket. This should be available in the user repo.

Thank you - i will try moving it there this weekend :)
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Fur shoes i just finished - These came out great - i just ran out of time today to really focus on the texture, but its ok as it is. Its needs a normal map still and will try tomorrow and fix very small issues. oh obviously with the angle of the shoe i had to assign the delete groups otherwise the feet would stick out (which i think i did correctly, unable to test this... :( )

shoerender.png
Attachments
furshoes.zip
(6.26 MiB) Downloaded 480 times
o4saken

Postby wolgade » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Also nice, although I'm glad that winter's over. :lol:
wolgade

Postby Mindfront » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:51 pm

o4saken wrote:
Mindfront wrote:
o4saken wrote:My first jacket after all the fur experiments... think it came out quite good,
The attachment FURJACKET.png is no longer available

Yes! It is great, I am about to try it on Jennifer. Jackets is something I need and this model looks very good and is now part of my favorite assets, thank you :D

Thank you - coming from you this means a lot - i just look at some of your work, now especially the new ASKEL Model, and im in AWE, my work cant even compare to this level.

Well, thank you back :D My characters needs clothes, and some of your work is amongst my favorites. I also wishes they were available in user contribution, much easier to find :)

I did a fast render when Jennifer tried your Furjacket. It has a small problem on the chest but that is possible to correct when posing in a serious scene. For this angle, I had to change the render value for Transparency, from 8 to 40 for the fur. That fur is the best non particle fur I ever seen. The hard edges on the shadows is from Blender as the HDRi sun cast very hard shadows in many times generate this kind of glitch.
Jennifer_Furjacket.jpg
Furjacket

About my work, the best is to not compare and find an own path depending on the goal. My goal was almost photorealistic characters to populate my scenes. For now, I am satisfied (a word I seldom use) with what I have achieved, the characters looks decent enough for my purposes but it has taken alot of practise texture painting an bake normal maps. I have learned alot of important steps by making clothes to MakeHuman.

I found this video for about a week ago "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Artists" by Andrew Price https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM39qhXle4g
It is very inspiring, but as I only do this for fun I have no deadline and can afford spending weeks on tiny details. Highly Effective is not part of my vocabulary :oops:

Are you also trying skin texture painting? And what is your goal?
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Mindfront wrote:I did a fast render when Jennifer tried your Furjacket.

Well, If there was the need for an argument why this jacket should make its way to the repo, you provided a quite convincing one. Great.
Mindfront wrote:That fur is the best non particle fur I ever seen.

Wait a second! The fur is not made with particles? :shock:
wolgade

Postby learning » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:19 am

o4saken wrote:My first jacket after all the fur experiments... think it came out quite good,
FURJACKET.png

This is awesome. Will you make a male variant as well?
learning

Postby Mindfront » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 am

wolgade wrote:Wait a second! The fur is not made with particles? :shock:
Yes, and it looks awesome even on close ups, just have to adjust the render transparency as it has a lot of transparent layers.

I havent tried the shoes yet but that is sertanly a must. Meanwhile I made two more fast made renders, Jennifer takes a stroll wearing "Laceshirt" and at the beach wearing "Floral" and "Skirt" which can be found earlier in this thread.
Jennifer_Laceshirt.jpg

Jennifer_Floral_and_Skirt.jpg
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Today I started with your human.001 hairdo and ended up in a mhx2 problem when I wanted to reload the character.

But I uploaded the first version with dark brown hair and I will do another texture with blond hair tomorrow. Here it is:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/o4saken_curly01.html

The texture is done with Blender. I simply rendered strand hair on a transparent background, like in the picture below (it is not presented with an alpha layer here). For the camera I used orbital view. For the scalp itself (I created a new one) I rendered a few hairs on a transparent sphere which was created with subdivision from a cube.

longstranddark1.png

For the problem I got, when I tried to import the mhx2 file into blender, here is a quick workaround (two lines must be changed in the exporter).

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16081

This might not be the best solution but will work until you create your first asset with 1000000 vertices ;)

(btw. makeclothes needed approx. 20 minutes to do his work).
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks again to Mindfront for the render of the Fur jacket, and reporting the issue with the chest in front. So this is the same jacket but i have tried to fix this error by assigning those problematic areas to Rigid groups - i am hoping that this fixes the problem, unfortunately i am unable to test this myself. in the meantime i have left the old version on here as well just incase this one somehow turns out worse :) ... once i manage to fix this problem then i will gladly move the jacket to the REPO.
As seen in the image below - the chest distortion i am hoping that the rigid group will fix this, then the zipper at the bottom i pulled out a bit more as it seemed to disappear into the jacket
Capture.PNG

As for a male version of the jacket - yes i will definitely be making one asap.

Mindfront wrote:Are you also trying skin texture painting? And what is your goal?

I guess my goal is also realism, i am still learning when it comes to getting realistic skin, skin shader, but yes i am trying to paint my own.
but the realism doesn't stop at the skin, clothing is also important, especially with texturing - which is why i try (dont always succeed) to make clothes where on close up images you can see the actual fabric textures, my hopes is that when you look at them you can almost imagine what the fabric would feel like just because of the details.

*** Also a BIG thank you to Punkduck for help on the hair texturing, and uploading to the REPO.
Attachments
furjacket (2).zip
(7.08 MiB) Downloaded 606 times
o4saken

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)