Blender Render is Retiring

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Re: Blender Render is Retiring

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:07 pm

I've updated mhx2 a bit. It uses the principled bsdf, now and can handle bump maps, normal maps and glossy maps (will be inverted to roughness maps) when defined in the mhmat file. normalmapIntensity and bumpmapIntensity can hold values from 0.0 to 1.0. This is not an official build. The exporter and importer need to be replaced. The code should work on both Python2 and Python3. Beta testers are welcome...
https://bitbucket.org/Aranuvir/mhx2_python3/downloads/
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:25 pm

That's very cute. I've been thinking some time that MHX2 would benefit from migrating to principled.

Good work :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Since BI has gone, now (Link), and we are rewriting or glcode, we should review our materials pipeline, too, I guess. :mrgreen:
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 am

Aranuvir wrote:Since BI has gone, now (Link), and we are rewriting our glcode, we should review our materials pipeline, too, I guess. :mrgreen:

Yes. This will be a nice and natural byproduct of working over the opengl code.

As to pipelines, there have been any number of "special node set-ups" published by our artistic experts on this forum. I wonder if collecting links to as many of those posts as possible in one place would give us some ideas about PROPERTIES we need to support. I'm not convinced MH should support a whole node system. This is partly why Manuel moved back to being a Blender plugin when he started MBL. He hated the idea of code duplication and saw .mhx2 as becoming unnecessarily bloated by duplication of downstream function in MH itself.

Thomas upgraded from mhx to mhx2 precisely so MH creations could be imported into other downstream tools like Maya, Max, Unity, or Unreal with the help of custom importers. The idea was to create independence of the export and import process. I suppose we could take the approach of making a Blender plugin to Export node setups in some sort of node descriptor file that could be associated with MH material files and parsed by the Blender Importer or any other importer that would be written. Joel has taken a few steps toward creating direct transport layers communication in his one Blender plugin that avoids the need for a "saved file" altogether. This concept scales to multiple downstream apps as well. All this by way of saying, we need some thinking about natural breaks in the artists pipeline to make the creative process as seamless as possible.

Anyway, there is a lot to think about here. We need some thought about HOW to support advanced materials as well as thought about how to make those MATERIALS FLOW downstream in a seamless fashion to a variety of downstream apps.
RobBaer

Postby jcpalmer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm

I got today's Blender build & started checking my exporters (JSON & inline JS) for Babylon.JS. They die at around line 10. :(

I just wonder if switching to glTF exports might be a way out. True, the glTF importer with Blender is still rudimentary, but the glTF Standard is fully fleshed out, and testable from dozens of places right now. I think there is just too much behind glTF for Blender 2.8 not to have an importer at some point. Reworking mhx sounds expensive.
jcpalmer

Postby RobBaer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:49 pm

FWIW, the fixes that I mentioned in my previous post (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15981#p44345)
have now been merged into MHX2 source. (https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/mhx ... ommits/all )
RobBaer

Postby Robitron » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks for all the info guys and prompt work on the issues! You are awesome!

But just in case it's been missed, Blender is now updating its wiki to the 2.8 manual so I'd say 2.8 is right around the corner.
Robitron

Previous

Return to Community discussions