Clothing mesh distorted in MakeHuman

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Clothing mesh distorted in MakeHuman

Postby Tbdanny » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to do up some steampunk clothing for Makehuman. I decided to start with corset and undershirt, to go with a character model I'm creating. After doing the corset, I just did a test-import into Makehuman in order to see how it fit, what adjustments would need to be made, etc. When I look at it in Blender, it looks like this:

However, when I put it into MakeHuman, it looks like this:

I am using the auto-generated texture groups on both the human and the clothing in Blender before exporting as MakeHuman clothes. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Tbdanny

Re: Clothing mesh distorted in MakeHuman

Postby RobBaer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:54 pm

I think that you used the human without helpers in MakeClothes. The clothes stick to the body too tightly and you see nipple distortions. Try the fitting to the female with helpers and this should smooth things out.
RobBaer

Postby Tbdanny » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Thank-you for that. I tired loading a human female with the helpers, and exporting the corset off of that. It has partially resolved the issue. The clothing now looks like this:

There's less distortion around the nipples, but it's still there. The eyelets down the bottom also seem to have the same distortion as before.
Tbdanny

Postby wolgade » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:01 am

Make sure that your human vertex groups only contain tight helper vertices and no body vertices. It's important to exclude the arms from the vertex groups. Try somthing like this.
vertex_group.jpg
wolgade

Postby Tbdanny » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 am

Thank-you. I've just tried that, and it seems to help a little bit. Here's how it looks now:

I've just worked out what's going on in the bottom left. It's been corrected since I took this screenshot.

Here's what I'm using for the vertex groups:

Here's what the corset model looks like on top of the helper model:

Image Image
Tbdanny

Postby wolgade » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Well, better, but still issues. These small distortions might be caused by simply having more vertices than needed. Make Clothes isn't too good when it comes to preserving details.
wolgade

Postby MTKnife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 am

Also, eliminate the centerline helper vertices between the breasts: your piece actually looks fine there, but the centerline valley on the helper is what causes the "painted-on" look you see in a lot of the assets.
MTKnife

Postby Evelia » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 am

Make sure that your human vertex groups only contain tight helper vertices and no body vertices. It's important to exclude the arms from the vertex groups
Evelia

Postby MTKnife » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 am

Oh...and in general you should only use helper vertices that like directly beneath your assets.
MTKnife

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader