WANTED: 1850s Southern USA Cloth and Hairstyles

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

WANTED: 1850s Southern USA Cloth and Hairstyles

Postby Hirnsausen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi community,

I am working on an 1850s Southern USA Mississippi river scene in 3D, but I find it so hard to find appropriate 1850s cloth and hairstyles anywhere.

is here anyone who did create such things or could do that? I have many photos and illustrations to assist.
Last edited by Hirnsausen on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hirnsausen

Re: WANTED: 1850s Southern USA Cloth and Hairstyles

Postby Elvaerwyn » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 pm

You state its a river scene for southern US fashion, so I gather spring or summer..early fall? What seasonal garb are you shooting for exactly? Also what ages would the garb be ranging for wear? Another question to mind is are these well to do folks or lower end socio economic peoples? I may take on a piece or two but would like to know what to shoot for! Gl
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby Hirnsausen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks for your reply, it gives me hope.

I created in Facebook an album for the purpose of showing people of that era. If you have access to FB, please see this link to my 1850s photos and illustrations:
https://www.facebook.com/sven.littkowsk ... 8451654733

If you want to see images of the 3D ship that is now in development, i can send the images by e-mail.

People needed:
- 1 or 2 white lower class children, both sitting comfortably with feet in the water and hands behind their backs on the ship main deck (position), 10y. old
- 5 engine workers, white, middle-aged
- max.20 boiler workers (shows, pants, some no shirts, sweaty, coal-dirty faces and cloth, carrying lumber blocks or coal buckets to the boiler and loading it into, youg to middle-aged workers
- max. 60 lower class men (incl. cowboys) and women, sitting, standing, walking, young to old adults
- max, 40 upper-class men and women, sitting, standing, or walking, young to old adults
- 40 black male workers (slaves), young to middle-aged adults, working positions and sitting and standing and walking, some carrying load above head or buckets on hands (just the positions, not the items needed), just cotton pants and shirt some without shoes
- max. 20 black dining room servants, one serving, all others standing behind dining persons, dressed well
- 4 native Americans ("Indians"), talking, some sitting some standing, middle.aged
- 1 captain, old, hands on the steering wheel looking forwards out of the front window while standing at the wheel
- 4 ship officers, standing, middle-aged to old adults, white

I admit, the numbers are high, but I am okay with lower numbers, too.

NOTE: I am very opposed to the slavery system (I compare it to fascism), but I want to create a realistic Southern US scene and therefore have to give a reflexction of the society of those days. I hope, I won't offend anyone. If so, I apologize.
Hirnsausen

Postby brkurt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:44 am

Hirnsausen wrote:Hi community,

I am working on an 1850s Southern USA Mississippi river scene in 3D, but I find it so hard to find appropriate 1850s cloth and hairstyles anywhere.

is here anyone who did create such things or could do that? I have many photos and illustrations to assist.

I posted these a long time ago, but they basically work:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/sun_king_courtesan_one.html

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/southern_belle_ringlets.html
brkurt

Postby punkduck » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi

I guess you should give us some additional information, because there are some, hmm, very challenging parameters you added.

Hirnsausen wrote:If you want to see images of the 3D ship that is now in development,

Depending on the details you create for your ship, the details for the characters should be made. You will not equip a ship with high-sophisticated textures and details with some "plastic guys", because it looks awful and ruins the image. On the other hand, if the ship is the "main actor" and all characters should be displayed at one time and the size of each character is then e.g. less than 200 pixel it doesn't make sense to use 8K textures for the skin.

Normally, if I created an asset like a model of a train or ship I will reuse it for different scenes. Because I want to see it from different perspectives. Just an example: to see it somewhere on the e.g. Mississippi or only to show the bridge or the boiler-room. According to each scene I have to supply characters with different "resolutions" or details.

Hirnsausen wrote:
People needed:
= 196 :geek:

Well you need a very good system to render that amount. The base mesh (without clothes etc.) is about 15000 vertices and (internally) 30000 triangles. Then textures etc. No teeth and other special parts included.

You must consider that before, otherwise you will be very disappointed. Just an example: the very sophisticated textures of Mindfront use 1 Gigabyte in the system. But also the normal MakeHuman ones migth use a big amount of memory. And I guess you want the characters look different, beside of the servants wearing, maybe, some kind of uniform.

I just checked how people populate their artificial railway layouts like in German EEP forum https://www.eepforum.de. They scale their characters down and put all textures of all clothes on a small map. They sometimes use MakeHuman, also I did find my assets over there.

So depending on what you will do, you normally have to work with different setups. We have low-poly proxies. But as far as I know this does not change the size of a texture. So you have to scale it down also. But these "guys" should not be used for details then of course ...

Another topic: when you place characters with long clothes in different positions, like walking or even sitting on chairs (dining room!) be aware that the clothes will not work as you expect. Especially the ladies with the long dresses of those time but also some male clothes (coats) will have the problem. Either you work with cloth simulation or you must change all posed characters manually.

I had the discussion when I wanted to create "native American" clothes. I checked different pages of heritage centers, but I ended up in creating a version of clothes of today made by Native Americans. The reason was the problem with the fringes. When you pose the character, these fringes stab into the character. Only with cloth simulation you may get rid of the problem. But to solve that properly the clothes should be made to work with the simulation and for most of the clothes made for MakeHuman this does not work without modification.

So for your project:

Best thing is to start with some smaller setups like captain on the bridge ... to see what will happen. Or just put some unchanged but clothed characters into your scenery and check the limits before. You do not even have to use the ship in the beginning, you can also do it with a few "boxes" to simulate the ship.

If you have an own computer center forget about my comments ... :mrgreen: but even then it seems to be a life-time project. Although I personally like the idea of creating a realistic historic scenery.

I have created these model-like girls and typical a lot of clothes for them. So maybe I can also do a dress for an 1850s young female. Well typically "upper class" I guess. Unfortunately I've not yet created an African model, so clothes for the servants will not directly be on my list. I've done some assets also "by request" but I'm only doing that if I like the clothes or assets or idea ... and at least I want to see one of my models wearing the clothes otherwise there is no benefit for me ...

For communication: You can add some links here in the forum, after a few posts your name is not longer blue and you can send PMs also.

I personally don't like FB :(

Hirnsausen wrote:NOTE: I am very opposed to the slavery system (I compare it to fascism), but I want to create a realistic Southern US scene and therefore have to give a reflexction of the society of those days. I hope, I won't offend anyone. If so, I apologize.

History stays history, if I would be able to change it like in "back to the future", I will start in my country ... for sure ...
punkduck

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader