Body study as seen from my perspective

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Body study as seen from my perspective

Postby Mindfront » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 pm

punkduck wrote:If you like a film where the leading actress (Gal Gadot) plays a comic character with super natural powers, but also is sometimes naive, sometimes is surprised about mankind, sometimes is angry, also shows empathy and has a good sense of humour (and therefore seems to be a normal human instead of being a superhero) then you should watch it.
Superhero movies is not my favorites but sometimes in lack of better things to do I have seen a few, so it wont hurt to give Wonder Woman movie a chance.

punkduck wrote:which was the reason for this emotional picture, which I did after watching the movie:
download/file.php?id=5470&mode=view
Sad and very beautiful picture at the same time. Today many people start wars, even in the virtual world for imbecile reasons e.g. someone have hair in their armpit. So Wonder Woman have alot to learn about the human kind.

punkduck wrote:Sometimes I ask myself, who inspired you to create her exactly the way she is ...
My inspiration when made Zakiya is the "San People" and "Ancient Nubia", another inspiration is my favorite character Michonne in The Walking Dead. Most important was to make her look like an almost real person with perfect defects. That goes for Jennifer aswell which have a big operation scar on her stomach. I dont know if anyone notice it on the bikini render.
09_Jennifer_scar.png
Jennifer's operation scar

wolgade wrote:What a great image. And I still can't believe that the lady is just a bunch of vertices.
Thank's :D These test and other renders have revealed some texture flaws I had to adjust along the way but in the whole it seems both Jennifer and Zakiya is close to acceptable enough for more serious work. If they look alright in closeups with only a sun lamp, and then in this studio light, they should look good in almost any lighting environment HDRi or not. Also a good practise in learning to do poses.

Zakiya's hairdo is now finished and can be downloaded as a particle scalp from User contributed assets - Custom content - African hair with bun. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... h_bun.html
Some hairstrands can change position when fitted on another head, also when posing. I dont't know why Blender does the curls flat but it only shows in certain angles. Level of steps is 7. The scale is metric 1:1 and important to know as most of the particle settings is dependent on the scale.
Zakiya_hair_with_bun.png
Zakiya's hair with bun

More of Zakiya:
02_Zakiya_feet.png
Feet
I have tried to get the nail material to look better but in some light they still look a bit unnatural.

03_Zakiya_Hands.png
Hands
Here it would look better with some creases when bending the thumbs and someday I will try to do something about that. The hand part of the texture is mirrored but when I first did this render it looked to bad, so I made some minor texture editing to make it less obvious and did a rerender.

04_Zakiya_back.png
Back

05_Zakiya_closed_eyes.png
Time to rest
Zakiya need to rest. Here it shows that the elbow crease looks wrong but I think it may pass this time.

After this it's time for my male characters test renders and adjustments, it should be intresting to se if they look "decent" enough. So far they have been on hold and stil using the old skin material and specular texture. When and if I got them to look good enough, I will update my previous contributed "skin male african middleage" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/skin/ ... leage.html
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Great images and and a simply breathtaking good job done.
Mindfront wrote:Here it shows that the elbow crease looks wrong but I think it may pass this time.

The elbow crease reveals a little bit of too much SSS, but this might go away by fixing the deformation.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 am

Mindfront wrote:[My inspiration when made Zakiya is the "San People" and "Ancient Nubia", another inspiration is my favorite character Michonne in The Walking Dead. Most important was to make her look like an almost real person with perfect defects. That goes for Jennifer aswell which have a big operation scar on her stomach. I dont know if anyone notice it on the bikini render.

I found some impressive pictures, when I googled for the African terms you mentioned.

But okay, so Michonne is not a kind of superhero?! ... well maybe she is different from these old classic DC characters, like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, but in a way she is also a superhero ;) :lol:

I'm fascinated about your characters. When you pose them, the skin is sometimes deforming not in the way it should deform (especially armpits, knees, elbows). But I think, your characters are most natural ones we have in MakeHuman and the huge skin-texture will hide the problem because it does not become blurry like the 2k ones.

And thanx for presenting the details. In a way this will be unreachable for me ... I guess I don't have enough patience for that.
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 pm

wolgade wrote:The elbow crease reveals a little bit of too much SSS, but this might go away by fixing the deformation.
Yes, the SSS can be to visible when the mesh intersect, the corrective shape keys need more work. I just saw your comment on the "African hair with bun" and happy you liked it :D . The bun was made by placing the cursor in the middle and use it as pivot point and rotated, scaled and twisted in all kind of directions. The number of steps makes those tiny waves and 7 is the minimum for this hair, higher gives better waves but then Blender may crash, avoid number of steps 20 ask punkduck :mrgreen: . I made a post in the tutorial "strand hair for MH models in Blender" viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13734&start=10 with some hair setting details. (I sent you a PM)

punkduck wrote:But okay, so Michonne is not a kind of superhero?! ... well maybe she is different from these old classic DC characters, like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, but in a way she is also a superhero ;) :lol:
Michonne is my kind of a natural fictive superhero :D

punkduck wrote:I'm fascinated about your characters. When you pose them, the skin is sometimes deforming not in the way it should deform (especially armpits, knees, elbows). But I think, your characters are most natural ones we have in MakeHuman and the huge skin-texture will hide the problem because it does not become blurry like the 2k ones.
Texture stretching is a big problem but the corrective smooth modifier keep it more together, but it must use a weight group to avoid smoothing the corrective shape keys and some other areas. Along the way I have done some weight adjustments and when it is good enough I will upload it in your "Adding corrective Shape-Keys" viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15595

punkduck wrote:And thanx for presenting the details. In a way this will be unreachable for me ... I guess I don't have enough patience for that.
I want to encourage MakeHuman users to try making their own skin textures not despair you :cry: Patience it unfortunately a must even when making only one grayscale texture.
Last edited by Mindfront on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 am

After some texture adjustments my male character Samuel is ready for close ups. The color texture is a mix between Zakiya, MakeHuman original skin texture and a full body BW texture with body hair and other skin details (I think I will try Samuel's ear texture and place them on Zakiya to enhance her ear details). As the hair is textured it is not fitted for extreme close ups, but that is not my intention with this character.
01_Samuel_portrait.png
Samuel portrait

The 2048p version of this textures "skin male african middleage" can be downloaded here http://www.makehumancommunity.org/skin/ ... leage.html
I did a comparison render to show the difference between 2048, 4096 and 8192 textures using my material with wolgade's procedural skin details.
Texture_resolution_comparison.jpg
Resolution comparison
(I have totally forgotten it is possible to use jpeg images instead of png)

Before boring you with more test renders of my characters, I decided it was time to try enhance an original MakeHuman skin as most of them is quite good. In this example i decided to use the 2048p texture "middleage_darkskinned_male_diffuse.png" and update it, in this case, to 4096p.
In Photoshop I scaled the 2048p original texture to 4096p to match the specular texture resolution. Added the specular texture with "Soft Light" to give the color texture more details. If I haven't had an normal map I would used the specular texture also as bump or baked it to a normal map.
Enhance_01_original_skin_texture_2048p.jpg
original skin texture 2048p

Enhance_02_specular_map_4096p.jpg
Specular texture 4096p

Enhance_03_new_skin_texture_4096p.jpg
New skin texture now 4096p

This is the result using a default male african character.
Enhance_04_middleage_darkskinned_male_diffuse.jpg
Step renders
Mindfront

Postby namuhekam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Hello. I'm new to this forum even though I have been a reading spectator for a couple of months now. I'm impressed the artwork you have shown and the material you have generously given. I want to know what software that you use to generate your normal maps. I haven't used those a lot and in the cases that I do, it was already generated.
namuhekam

Postby loki1950 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Normal maps can be generated with blender where it is called baking really just an other kind of render just do google search with blender normal map about thirty or so YouTube tutorials will be in the results.On Windows there is xNormal it's been around for quite awhile you need two meshes to generate the normal map(base mesh-low-poly and a hi poly) it also has the ability to generate several other types of texture maps it also has a viewer built in.There are plug-ins for both PhotoShop and the GIMP as well don't be afraid to post your questions we where all beginners 8-)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby wolgade » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Mindfront strikes again. Some day I'll have to learn to do textures like this on my own. My experiments weren't too succesful, but they were done a while ago.
wolgade

Postby Mindfront » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 am

namuhekam wrote:Hello. I'm new to this forum even though I have been a reading spectator for a couple of months now. I'm impressed the artwork you have shown and the material you have generously given. I want to know what software that you use to generate your normal maps. I haven't used those a lot and in the cases that I do, it was already generated.

I'm happy you like my work and hope to inspire artists to try making their own MakeHuman skins and/or assets (hopefully to be contributed).
As loki1950 wrote the normal maps is made in Blender by baking. I prefer doing it that way instead of using an generator as I have better controll over the result. In the thread "Tips and tricks to create a 3d version of real clothes" viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14024
you can find some baking tips.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 am

Todays test renders of Samuel.
02_Samuel_full_body_front.jpg
Samuel full body front
The lack of veins is prominent but I don't care to make any, at the time being. The swimming trunks have some small problem with this pose and if this had been an serious scene render I would do some corrections.

03_Samuel_full_body_back.jpg
Samuel full body back
I know this pose is such a cliche, a male showing muscles, but I had a moment in lack of imagination :oops: . This show my improvised corrective shape-keys for the upper arm muscles and is not ment to be other than a deforming enhancement not physical accurate as I am not intrested to be a muscle artist.
Mindfront

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery