8k bump map

Postby PrefectF » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 am

Rendered with bump
a.png
with bump

Rendered without bump
b.png
no bump

I have given up sculpting a Hi-res model and baking it to a normal map. Blender just does not handle a model of that size to sculpt. So I have been texture painting a bump, height, map as a black and white texture map in blender. There are still lines that need broken up but so far I am pretty happy with the results. The diffuse map is just the light skinned female packaged with Make Human.

I am using an 8K texture for the bump map. Only the front of the face is done, well almost done. There are still too continuous of lines in the forehead area and a bit on the nose that needs fixed. There are no spec or roughness maps, so those qualities are lacking but are on the agenda. Also the subsurface scattering is generic through the entire model which needs work.
PrefectF

Re: 8k bump map

Postby wolgade » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 am

Looks quite good. I think SSS is a bit too high. Did you paint the bump map manually or did you use something to generate it?

You could use your high-res bump map to influence the diffuse values by using a color mix node to get a more detailed diffuse texture. If you haven't already done, I highly recommend reading http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545. The tricks Mindfront does with procedural skin cells should also work with your bump map.
wolgade

Postby Mindfront » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am

This looks really great! :D That bump map can be used as base for the specular map. When I do my clothes textures I always begin creating a bump map and a displacement map. That bump map is then slightly modified and used as a specular map. The color texture is the last I do and is often also based on the bump map. The bump map is then baked together with a displacement map to an normal map. One can also begin with a specular map and use that as a base for bump map :roll:
Mindfront

Postby PrefectF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:39 am

wolgade wrote:Looks quite good. I think SSS is a bit too high. Did you paint the bump map manually or did you use something to generate it?

You could use your high-res bump map to influence the diffuse values by using a color mix node to get a more detailed diffuse texture. If you haven't already done, I highly recommend reading http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545. The tricks Mindfront does with procedural skin cells should also work with your bump map.

The SSS is too high. I basically set it by looking at the ears and tip of the nose but its probably too high in those areas too. I plan on painting a map to change the levels of SSS but that is still in future plans. I probably should have posted this in WIP.

I am manually painting the bump map. I am using texture paint in blender. I started by creating a 50% grey texture, RGB (0.5, 0.5, 0.5), then painting with alpha textures. I am using the anchor mode under the stroke setting. This allows the brush to be resized and rotated with every stroke which is very useful! I tried using a tablet to paint but it did not work well for the bump map. In order to see what I am doing I work in material mode and plug the image texture, that I am painting, into the normal input of a glossy shader and then to the material output. I'll post the tutorial where I saw the set up. He as a few tutorials on skin texturing but this tutorial is the nuts and bolts. His channel has some good stuff on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZyRimOBU-g

I have been reading through Mindfront's post. It is amazing stuff. There is a ton of good information and I am learning quite a bit from it. I am definitely going to use a lot from it. I would like to be able to blend multiple bump map and I think the procedural texture you posted may be where I start. There is a lot to learn from your procedural skin post too. I am still behind the learning curve with the node setups but I am trying to catch up.
PrefectF

Postby PrefectF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 am

Mindfront wrote:This looks really great! :D That bump map can be used as base for the specular map. When I do my clothes textures I always begin creating a bump map and a displacement map. That bump map is then slightly modified and used as a specular map. The color texture is the last I do and is often also based on the bump map. The bump map is then baked together with a displacement map to an normal map. One can also begin with a specular map and use that as a base for bump map :roll:

Thanks, glad you like it. When I am finished I will post it if people are interested. It is, however, far from done. Thanks for the tips, that is definitely the way I am going to start working. I slowly came to that conclusion the hard way...LOL! It is good to hear that is the way you are working. I have used spec, normal, and bump maps in game asset creation but never to this detail or effectiveness. I am enjoying reading through your human study post, it has a lot of really good info in it and I am learning a ton from it.

I did not know you could bake a normal map that way, good to know. I am going to look into the procedure for sure!
PrefectF

Postby PrefectF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I added a normal map with the bump map and added in a spec map that was made from the bump map. I also cut the SSS way back and added a color map for the SSS color. I have not done anything with the diffuse texture, such as adding detail with the bump map, but that is going to be the last step I believe.

c.png
PrefectF

Postby wolgade » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:52 pm

It's quite an improvement. Keep on experimenting. That's what we all do. :D
wolgade

Postby PrefectF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 pm

I've made some improvements. The bump map has been edited and the node setup is quite a bit changed. The SSS node setup and the bump and normal textures are re-arranged. The render with the shirt is Mindfront's tank top 01. It has been re-textured and there are 2 bumps, just experimenting, and a normal map. However, it is pretty much the texture Mindfront uploaded. The tank top has also been sculpted. The images are fairly big so they need to be clicked on to see the detail.

I did run into some problems with doing a secondary bump for the skin texture, which I am researching. I wanted the bump I used to be fine skin detail and have a secondary bump map to customize wrinkles in the skin and finer detail in the lips. For some reason, cycles when texture painting a bump can double the intensity when going back to add the secondary bump. I just saw a tutorial explaining to use blender internal to paint bump because of that very reason but I don't totally understand what is happening...I am working on how to add the secondary bump but it is still being a process. It worked with the shirt. I think it may be the base of the bump which I used 50% grey as a base for the fine detail but the mix messes every thing up. I have tried both 50% grey for the secondary and a complete transparent background for the secondary but it goes wonky either way. I've also tried a math node for non-color data and a RGB mix changing it to color data. It should be non-color as far as I understand.

If anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them!

save.png
Studio Lighting

save2.png
HDRI Lighting

save3.png
Tank Top
PrefectF

Postby Mindfront » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 am

Blender Internal is my choise when texture painting or baking. Much faster and easier.
On thing you can try when using the math and color nodes is to use the "clamp". Clamp force the output to between 0 to 1 as the value otherwise can be higher than the node input can handle and cause all kind of strange unvanted results.
Mindfront

Postby lorddaroth » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Is this available anywhere? Because fuck it looks awesome
lorddaroth

Next

Return to Gallery