Body study as seen from my perspective

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Body study as seen from my perspective

Postby Mindfront » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Some more testrenders.
05_Jennifer_full_body.png
Jennifer wears my "F Bikini 01"
My character "Jennifer" has an fairly detailed comprehensive texture.

I wanted to try how fast I could do an reasonable scene from null to finished without thinking to much of all tiny details (Fast is one thing I not known to be).

The progress was: Dress the character and adjust the clothes, do a pose (in this case I had one prepared and did only small adjustments), comb the hair to better fit the pose, choose an suitable HDRi and add a shadow catcher with some glossiness, choose camera angle and do some minor adjustments. It took about 30 minutes, then render about 58 minutes at an resolution of 2400x3600 400 samples and CPU. so this was my most sloppy render (I publish) so far but fun to test the limits.
06_Jennifer_at_the_beach.png
Jennifer wear Wolgade's "f swimsuit 02"
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks again for your detailed description. You provide a deep insight on what you did, where you failed and where you succeeded. This is very valuable knowledge for anyone interested in making photorealistic skins. I'll have to play with the Blender file you provided. Thanks for sharing.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:16 am

Mindfront wrote:That I discovered when I started texturing with this photos, the photographer missed, like many do, to make the model evenly lighted so I spent most of the time texturing to make toning and color corrections.

I was doing the same. But as far as I know, the photos of my models were not made for CG guys like us. The photographer made them for ... ehm ... entertainment for us males ... I guess? :? :lol:

But even if you take textures from some of the "models for artists" pages, the light is often only supplied from one side. When you try to draw a character with paint or even as a "simple" pencil drawing you work with light and shadow. For those artists the shadows are helpful.

Your tutorial or detailed description is very useful, even when I only take parts out of it, some of the characters will look more natural in future. And I'm quiet sure the two characters in the background of your tennis match render will not use three 8k-textures and vellus hair, so we need this knowledge only for detailed renders :mrgreen:

You mentioned Zakiya, the name itself is mostly used in African nations. She is one of the characters I like especially because it shows the diversity which can be "simulated" using MakeHuman. I will also be interrested in a detailed picture. I'm still looking for an African or Afro-American character ... but until now, I didn't find pictures of a girl I like to model. Except from the Chinese girl I made last, the origin of the other three is East-Europe.

So you are right, at the end the "bunch of pixels" as I called it, has some kind of a personality. But you create it by putting them into a scene like you do in this mother/daughter (it could also be two sisters) ice-skate scene or the guitar player. And for this purpose sometimes also a comic character can be used as we all know from daily life. This should be a statement for those members of the forum, who do not want to use so much effort as we do.

I also must agree to the statement, that it is possible to create a realistic looking character only using free software. The reason why I joined the forum and created about 100 different clothes ... so that others also are able to get some benefit from our work.
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 am

wolgade wrote:Thanks again for your detailed description. You provide a deep insight on what you did, where you failed and where you succeeded. This is very valuable knowledge for anyone interested in making photorealistic skins. I'll have to play with the Blender file you provided. Thanks for sharing.

You are much welcome :D Maybe help someone to not needing go through all long time consuming tedious processes and think that's impossible.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 am

punkduck wrote:Your tutorial or detailed description is very useful, even when I only take parts out of it, some of the characters will look more natural in future.
I'm sure it would be possible to enhance your texture without to much work as you already have a good color base. A detailed BW texture can be reused in many way. First as a specular map, then as an color overlay on the color texture and finally as an bump map or baked as an normal map.

Here is a very quick example on how the original MakeHuman skin "old_lightskinned_female_diffuse.png" look like with this methode.
(Bellatrix made this character to acnowledge there is old people in the world also allthough much better looking than this)

To the left, the skin "old_lightskinned_female_diffuse.png" direct pluged into the Principled shader.
To the right, a very fast modified version of the same skin texture and by using my skin material (whitout any changes).
I used Jennifer's 4096p version specular map as a color overlay and of course as specular map, and Jennifer's normal map strength 2 to make it look older. (Just to show the possibilities, if this had been a serious skin texturing I had put more work on the skin color and normal map.)
Before_After.png

punkduck wrote:And I'm quiet sure the two characters in the background of your tennis match render will not use three 8k-textures and vellus hair, so we need this knowledge only for detailed renders :mrgreen:
What? It was the vellus hair that gave the whole tennis scene the right lighting :mrgreen: , just kidding. I havent got to do vellus hair at that time and Zakiya and Samuel in the background used the 2048p texture version and Jennifer and John got the 4096p version. When I did this scene I discovered Jennifer's knees was to low so I had move them up a bit by rebake all textures.

punkduck wrote:You mentioned Zakiya, the name itself is mostly used in African nations. She is one of the characters I like especially because it shows the diversity which can be "simulated" using MakeHuman. I will also be interrested in a detailed picture.
Zakiya is my absolute favorite and I worked long time to make her to not look perfect as imperfection is perfection as a wise person once said (Blender Guru). Now she is perfectly imperfect and almost natural looking. Testrenders is soon coming :)

punkduck wrote:So you are right, at the end the "bunch of pixels" as I called it, has some kind of a personality.
As they are a bunch of pixels 8-) they are aslo made with great love by a real person like a writer with it's fictional characters that have personality and names, there is no difference at all only the source of manifestation. I guess we soon will se more digital actors in movies than real humans.

punkduck wrote:But you create it by putting them into a scene like you do in this mother/daughter (it could also be two sisters) ice-skate scene or the guitar player. And for this purpose sometimes also a comic character can be used as we all know from daily life. This should be a statement for those members of the forum, who do not want to use so much effort as we do.
Yes, we have all our own way of expression and no way is better than the other. This is the best part of MakeHuman and Blender, one can make whatever one wants without almost no boundaries.

A wedding scene made just efter Blender 2.79 got out and things begun to fall into place. (In this render Jennifer have an old bad hairdo (and no vellus hair ;) ))
Wedding_by_Mindfront.png
MakeHuman and Blender wedding photo

punkduck wrote:I also must agree to the statement, that it is possible to create a realistic looking character only using free software. The reason why I joined the forum and created about 100 different clothes ... so that others also are able to get some benefit from our work.
And in many cases much better software than the commercial ones. The same here, except the number of clothes :D

To end this, kind of long entry. A close up on Jennifer's teeth.
07_Jennifer_teeth.png
Teeth
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Mindfront wrote:As they are a bunch of pixels 8-) they are aslo made with great love by a real person like a writer with it's fictional characters that have personality and names, there is no difference at all only the source of manifestation. I guess we soon will se more digital actors in movies than real humans.

There are allready movies with more artifical than real actors. But hopefully only in this kind of movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvoUMH9Ghpo

In normal life I prefer real actors. Same with the girls I created, furthermore mine are not really fictional. I did an artifical version of existing models, same procedure like modelling a landscape for a model railway. Sometimes it is the other way round, I created Wonder Woman and then I watched the movie, I did pole dance scenes and will visit a competition near-by in future.

But you are right, even toon characters got some kind of personality from the people creating them ...

Sorry not using the techniques I learned in my last picture :roll: . But these shape-keys are more important than the skin this time (did you ever close the eyes when posing your characters?) :?
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:28 pm

punkduck wrote:Sorry not using the techniques I learned in my last picture :roll: . But these shape-keys are more important than the skin this time (did you ever close the eyes when posing your characters?) :?
You are excused :lol: It's the feeling the image communicates that counts not how detailed it is :D

I have only closed the eyes on trial before you asked and decided to do this sleeping scene to see how the eyelid on Jennifer looks like when closed. No makeup this time. On Jennifer I did not need to use shape keys to get this result.
08_Jennifer_sleeping.png
Sleeping
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Time to present Zakiya and my second full body MakeHuman skin texture and very difficult to make as the reference photos was not as high resolution to get good details and had alot of different skintones, shadows and highlights. More work has to be done, sometime. The specular/roughness is open for more fine tuning as I am not all satisfied with this result.
01_Zakiya_portrait.png
Zakiya simple portrait
Mindfront

Postby joepal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am

"Not satisfied" he says. Me, I had to take a closer look to convince myself it wasn't a photo. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby punkduck » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Joepal is right.

But I also know the feeling that there could be some imperfect details we just aren't aware of ... (and only the creator is able to figure that out, because everything looks perfect for all others) :lol:

This picture is absolutely convincing. As you mentioned somewhere above it is this "to make her to not look perfect as imperfection is perfection". But she is perfect when you consider skin, hair etc. and she also is beautiful.

The only thing I could imagine is to give her a bit more reflection in the eyes area (cornea). But I guess that is the way I'm doing it and it might be not a good idea for her.

Unfortunately I didn't find an African character I like to model until now. I don't know how much time you need to create her, but in my case I always need for the first version something between 40-60 hours. So I take some girl that I really like, otherwise the endurance will fade away :? .

And when I'm successful one day, she wouldn't be as perfect as yours ... :shock:
punkduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery