MakeClothes Universal Fit -- or at least close.

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: MakeClothes Universal Fit -- or at least close.

Postby MargaretToigo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm

loki1950 wrote:Not chiming in so much as much as to encourage you to continue and show that we are paying attention :) also feel free to update the wiki with your discoveries which should help us all when blender makes it's workflow shift with 2.8 as all of the quirky things will most like have new expressions with the change in blender's API so documenting the current behaviour will be critical so thank you for the effort 8-)

I am glad to know that folks are paying some attention because this whole fitting clothes and having them deform well thing is rather important. I have even read all the MakeClothes scripts for clues about what it's doing with which data and how.

I can read code, but I am not a coder. I know just enough Python to not break stuff too badly when I mess with it.

I don't even have Blender 2.79 yet. I'm still on 2.78c and I keep 2.78a and a few older versions because they all work slightly differently and "upgrading" Blender is an upgrade of some things, but not everything.

I love Blender and all of its quirks and features that can be bugs and bugs that can be features.
MargaretToigo

Postby joepal » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:09 am

Picking up 2.79 is worth it though, if nothing else for the principled shader alone. Also, from what I can see on the dev discussions, 2.79 seems to be the last planned major release in the 2.7 series as all development effort is going to be put into 2.8. So 2.79 is bound to be the major stable blender version for the foreseeable future.

(There are going to be patches to 2.79 though: 2.79a etc)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm

joepal wrote:Picking up 2.79 is worth it though, if nothing else for the principled shader alone. Also, from what I can see on the dev discussions, 2.79 seems to be the last planned major release in the 2.7 series as all development effort is going to be put into 2.8. So 2.79 is bound to be the major stable blender version for the foreseeable future.

The issue--as I see it here--is severe mesh distortion. My solution works great all the way back to 2.49b (the joy of having a Xeon Quad x 4 rack server!) and forward.

There is an important point to add, however: the solution (like the one I've presented) must adhere to the 'Least Mean Squares' rule, or the UV map will distort during an animation. Notice how the polygons in my solution are nearly the same size, even with the most distortion.

brkurt

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:38 pm

@brkurt: This still works when the clothing was piped through MakeClothes?
Aranuvir

Postby brkurt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Aranuvir wrote:@brkurt: This still works when the clothing was piped through MakeClothes?

It ought to, as it is symmetrical.

Here is the same garment, after having Shrinkwrap and Smooth Vertex administered, in Blender render;

If if survived those two modifiers, MakeClothes ought to be no problem. But try it yourself, to be sure.

Otherwise, here is the model:

http://www.geekopolis.ca/valentina/evaTPose1_276b.blend

brkurt

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 pm

brkurt wrote:It ought to, as it is symmetrical.

So, I'd propose to pipe it trough the process of MC to see if it works. And I'm not sure if symmetry is a grant for a working clothing. BTW, the sort of clothing MargaretToigo is currently creating is only in parts symmetrical. How do you think to solve this?
Aranuvir

Postby brkurt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Aranuvir wrote:
brkurt wrote:It ought to, as it is symmetrical.

So, I'd propose to pipe it trough the process of MC to see if it works. And I'm not sure if symmetry is a grant for a working clothing. BTW, the sort of clothing MargaretToigo is currently creating is only in parts symmetrical. How do you think to solve this?

Not a problem either; the approach here is: build the shoulder harness first.

Build this harness fist, then drape the rest of the garment around it. Even if there isn't left/right symmetry, the ring around the armpit, connected by to the chest, will solve the mesh distortion problem.
brkurt

Postby MargaretToigo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:56 pm

joepal wrote:Picking up 2.79 is worth it though, if nothing else for the principled shader alone. Also, from what I can see on the dev discussions, 2.79 seems to be the last planned major release in the 2.7 series as all development effort is going to be put into 2.8. So 2.79 is bound to be the major stable blender version for the foreseeable future.

Oh, I will get to it eventually as I always have. I've been into Blender since 2.4-something and it has improved greatly via fits and starts -- sorta like MakeHuman and perhaps even humanity itself.

Right now, I am rather obsessed with this suit thing. I am gonna have to eventually get to a result I can live with. And I will share it in the assets. Heck, maybe someone can download it and improve upon it somehow.

I'm sure that whatever it is will have something to do with the methods described in the tutorial about making teeth with MakeClothes -- in the wiki, with the medallion and sword with *rigid groups -- and probably also with that Offset Scaling menu, whose function remains a mystery -- outside of how it selects the various boundary vertices so you can see the boundaries of those parts for whatever reason that might be useful. :)
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:11 pm

brkurt wrote:
Aranuvir wrote:@brkurt: This still works when the clothing was piped through MakeClothes?

It ought to, as it is symmetrical.

Here is the same garment, after having Shrinkwrap and Smooth Vertex administered, in Blender render;

If if survived those two modifiers, MakeClothes ought to be no problem. But try it yourself, to be sure.

Just as an experiment, I downloaded the dress model, fitted it to the female human form with a little proportional editing, applied the scale and rotation, set the origin to the same as the fitting form, removed the orange material slot (only one is allowed) and ran MakeClothes.

The same armpit distortion happens with this model and when it is aged, it gets distorted as well...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 8.03.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 8.03.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 8.03.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 8.02.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 8.02.30 AM.png
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Now, I could probably get better results fitting the dress on the tights and skirt helpers, rather than the human, but in my experience, the armpit distortion during posing thing happens slightly less when the human is used, but then the fit in rest pose is more universal when helpers are used.
MargaretToigo

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions