Face modeling

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Face modeling

Postby Innos » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:07 am

Hello,

I am totally new to this and I would like some help if possible.
I try to make a model that corresponds to a real person but I don't know how to do this. I have tried with makehuman and I have gotten as close as possible but it needs more to resemple. So what you suggest I can do? If I import the mhx on blender, can I work the face from there and how, any good tutorials for face details?

Also another problem is that the skin material for the model is not as white as I want it to be, how can I make it whiter?

Thanks in advance!
Innos

Re: Face modeling

Postby joepal » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:16 am

You won't be able to get a toon to look very similar to a real person with only MakeHuman. The mesh is not detailed enough for that, and it will probably never be. The intended pipeline is to export the toon to continue working with it in another program, for example blender.

In blender you can apply sculpting (google for it) to model more detailed features, but you will most likely also need to learn how to work with texture maps: diffuse, bump, glossy, normals... It's a pretty advanced science.

Anyway, the skin color is pretty easy to adjust if you use cycles in blender. I had a similar problem where I wanted a person to look a bit darker, so I adjusted the skin texture's brightness with -0.1:

brightness.png

There are similar nodes for adjusting other color balance aspects. No need to change the actual skin texture file for such operations.

However, if you want to modify a skin texture for use in MakeHuman, then you will need to create a new image file with the texture.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Innos » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks very much for the reply! I will reseach what you said above and I'll be back if I have further questions!
Innos

Postby CallHarvey3d » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 pm

really cool software called facegen modeler ive been using for years it takes front and side images and creates a textured head from those images. there are a small collection meshes and you can create your own custom mesh with an addon app. not sure the cost. i typically use MH to generate the body and facegen for heads then stitch them together or hide the seams under clothes. there are probably similar softwares available i havent looked in years
i used it for this guy
Attachments
Jules_KahunaShake2.jpg
CallHarvey3d

Postby brunocantisano » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Hello CallHarvey3d,

I would like to do exactly what you have done. May you explain how you created the maketarget file in blender to be used in makehuman?
I found a forum explaning this process but I could not replicated it. Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14702&p=40780&hilit=facegen#p40780
I created a base mesh and imported the facegen obj file. Tried to use the shrink wrap modifier but I had no success.
brunocantisano

Return to Newbies