Further progress on the asset downloader

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Further progress on the asset downloader

Postby joepal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Version 2 of the asset downloader plugin is rapidly approaching a usable state. As of now most things work as intended, but there are some rough edges that need to be dealt with, as well as at least one blatant bug (that you need to restart MH after synchronizing in order to update the lists).

But the filters are all now working as far as I can see:

filter_by_author.png
It's possible to filter by Author

view_details.png
The details view is working

filter_by_term.png
It's possible to search for a word in the asset name

last_changed_1.png
You can search for items changed within the last week, month, three months or year

combine_filters.png
You can combine filters at will, thus narrowing down the search

To run this you need an MHAPI updated today from https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... gins-mhapi, as well as the "big_refactor" branch from https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... etdownload (the "master" branch still contains version 1 of the plugin).

Version 2 of the plugin has done away with the impact on the startup time of MH, but does not yet contain the code for attempting to fix broken assets on download by renaming files.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Further progress on the asset downloader

Postby wolgade » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Great. Looks quite usable.
wolgade

Postby badwolf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:04 pm

when this gets "paper trained" could you post a zip with both parts together??

also can this be installed with/over the existing one without it catching fire??
badwolf

Postby badwolf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 pm

okay i did a blind install and it does seem to pick things up more or less correctly ( im going to assume that some of the meta tags are not present/wired up)

while im dartboarding features any way you could wire the download to automatically add a downloaded asset to the current "toon"??
badwolf

Postby joepal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Ok, I think the asset downloader is now reasonably ready for wider use. Since last I've fixed a few bugs and implemented sorting (so you can click on column heads to sort the table).

To install, download MHAPI.zip and assetdownload.zip and place the contents of the zip in the "plugins" directory under MakeHuman.

@badwolf: This is a good idea. I've created an issue for it here: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... d/issues/3
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby warmlander » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am

Sorry to be a real noob (but I am...), but I don't get the "Community"-tab. I've copied asset download and mhapi, but nothing's changed. But I've got two different locations for MakeHuman - one in Documents/MakeHuman/v1... but here every folder is empty - there's nothing in the "data" folder, f.e. But if I choose the one in "Applications", and look at it's folders, theres data/clothes etc... Could this be the problem? Are there supposed to be 2 different locations?
(I'm using a Mac)
warmlander

Postby RobBaer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pm

warmlander wrote:But I've got two different locations for MakeHuman - one in Documents/MakeHuman/v1... but here every folder is empty - there's nothing in the "data" folder, f.e.

But if I choose the one in "Applications", and look at it's folders, theres data/clothes etc... Could this be the problem? Are there supposed to be 2 different locations?
(I'm using a Mac)

Yes. Documents/MakeHuman/v1 is where your own creations will go along with anything you download using the asset down loader. When you save a makehuman model it will save to Documents/MakeHuman/v1/models by default for example. If you export it will export to Documents/MakeHuman/v1/exports by default. It will be empty and may not have all subfolders until you make things.

I'm not the mac expert, but I suspect the one in applications is the program itself. This is the one where you will find the plugins folder that you put the asset downloader and MHAPI plugins into as mentioned in Joel's post.. ctrl-click the one in the applications folder to enter the package and find the plugins folder.
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 pm

I have the same system over here. Standard on Mac is:

/Applications/MakeHuman.app/Contents/Resources/plugins

Normally, you need Superuser/Adminstrator permissions to install something in this area. In between I changed the permissions for these directories, so that python is able to create the .pyc files ...
punkduck

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)