[request] How to make a custom skeleton

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

[request] How to make a custom skeleton

Postby badwolf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:55 pm

I would like to connect the dots to make a bridge between MakeHuman and ESV: Skyrim part of that of course is sorting out a mesh and skeleton that can be used so

Are there any detailed documents on how to setup a custom skeleton?? (of course if one of yall want to take up the challenge...)

The big trick is if i can get this sorted then we have a path more or less like Blender/MC > MakeHuman > MHX2 > Blender > raw NIF > Niftools > cooked Nif > Creation Kit > ESP > Game
badwolf

Re: [request] How to make a custom skeleton

Postby jujube » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 pm

There's secretly a bitbucket with MH developer tools: https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehuman-utils/src

There's a blender tool in there to make new rigs, sort of (io_mhrigging_mhskel), but there are two major problems with it:
1) Lack of documentation
2) The process of making a skeleton isn't even fully automated, basically. After exporting a rig from blender, there's a file that's empty(?), and you have to manually fill it in, but I'm not sure if there's anyone left who even knows how you do that. We need to find someone knowledgeable about both rigging and coding who can program it in.

(I think it was "bone rotations"? There was an older thread where I discussed it with other users. )
jujube

Postby brkurt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:01 pm

jujube wrote:There's secretly a bitbucket with MH developer tools: https://bitbucket.org/MakeHuman/makehuman-utils/src

There's a blender tool in there to make new rigs, sort of (io_mhrigging_mhskel), but there are two major problems with it:
1) Lack of documentation
2) The process of making a skeleton isn't even fully automated, basically. After exporting a rig from blender, there's a file that's empty(?), and you have to manually fill it in, but I'm not sure if there's anyone left who even knows how you do that. We need to find someone knowledgeable about both rigging and coding who can program it in.

(I think it was "bone rotations"? There was an older thread where I discussed it with other users. )

I'm in the process of fine-tuning my MMA rig for facial expressions; Automatic Weighting in Blender 2.7x is very good, but facial bones are so close together that it needs to be done manually. :o I'm a proponent of 'let the rig do the heavy lifting' rather than shape keys. I've kept the basic bones from the default rig, but I've found that they need free rotation in all 3 axes to control facial muscles. I'll be done in about an hour. :)

Here it is:

http://www.geekopolis.ca/valentina/ellieE3_276b.blend

And here she is, all angry:

brkurt

Postby badwolf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 pm

brkurt wrote:
I'm in the process of fine-tuning my MMA rig for facial expressions; Automatic Weighting in Blender 2.7x is very good, but facial bones are so close together that it needs to be done manually. :o I'm a proponent of 'let the rig do the heavy lifting' rather than shape keys. I've kept the basic bones from the default rig, but I've found that they need free rotation in all 3 axes to control facial muscles. I'll be done in about an hour. :)

you would not happen to know anything about ESV:Skyrim??
the big problem is it seems that there is nothing to convert a HKX format skeleton to BVH (which means having access to $$$ tools)

also i don't think the base pose for Skyrim and the Base Model Pose are even close
badwolf

Postby brkurt » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 pm

badwolf wrote:
brkurt wrote:

the big problem is it seems that there is nothing to convert a HKX format skeleton to BVH (which means having access to $$$ tools)

also i don't think the base pose for Skyrim and the Base Model Pose are even close

Sorry, never heard of it before. I've been focusing on MH to Blender to Marvelous Designer (I'm on the board of the Free Fashion Foundation [formerly valentina]) using Open Collada.

But all is not lost, not yet anyway. ;)

I'll bet the base pose of Skyrim is a T-Pose, and that takes some fine tuning with MH to get the mesh to be useful later on, mostly careful weight painting.

How many different formats can import/export to ESV:Skyrim?
brkurt

Postby badwolf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

brkurt wrote:
badwolf wrote:
brkurt wrote:

Sorry, never heard of it before. I've been focusing on MH to Blender to Marvelous Designer (I'm on the board of the Free Fashion Foundation [formerly valentina]) using Open Collada.

But all is not lost, not yet anyway. ;)

I'll bet the base pose of Skyrim is a T-Pose, and that takes some fine tuning with MH to get the mesh to be useful later on, mostly careful weight painting.

How many different formats can import/export to ESV:Skyrim?

Skyrim is a Game that uses NIF files for its mesh and it uses a HAVOK based skeleton and the base pose is similar to but not exactly the same as the MH base pose.

I would need to get an Adult Male Adult Female and i think i can more or less cheat and use a single Child copy
badwolf

assets downloader

Postby scinceman96 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:41 pm

in the MakeHuman assets online needs a download tab to download every asset from everyone
scinceman96

Re: assets downloader

Postby joepal » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm

scinceman96 wrote:in the MakeHuman assets online needs a download tab to download every asset from everyone

As this is a request that has cropped up a few times now, I've written a FAQ about it: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... veryone%3F
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Tutorials