doodles and experiments

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: doodles and experiments

Postby jujube » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:08 am

I made a small gradient texture in GIMP to use as an alpha mask for hair ribbons, but in blender, the bottom (top) edge of the texture has a dark line on it where it should be white. What does it mean?
Attachments
hairs.PNG
hairnodes.PNG
tex1.png
tex1.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 10284 times
jujube

Postby jujube » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Two unrelated things: pretty hair, and slimy tongue material.
Attachments
tongue.png
prettyhair.PNG
preeeeety.PNG
jujube

Postby jujube » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:43 am

The hair is getting stronger...
Attachments
pinkhighcontrast.PNG
blondhair.PNG
alphanodes.PNG
Alpha mask node group. Image texture is just the dome shaped gradient from before
jujube

Postby jujube » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:35 am

I'm back again! I had a another shot at baking textures.

Geometry: made via HairTool addon. (It's literally just the default settings for everything, applied to a cylinder. )
Texture: made in maya 2016 via geo maya hair 2 script (It has to be maya 2016 or 2015 for texture baking to work, apparently)
HDRI from HDRIhaven (they're CC0! Come get some!)
And rendered via RenderMan.

By default, HairTool seems to create all the ribbons on the same spot on the uv map. This makes textures not so interesting. So I made 10 strands, then in the UV editor selected all islands and scaled them by 1/10 and packed islands. This made them all evenly spread in a perfect square shape for the GMH2 baker to recognize.

I attached the textures, since they should work for anything with a planar geometry/square UVs. (But promise you won't use it for commercial use, as it was made in a student version of Maya. )

By the way, HairTool lets you convert particle hair to mesh hair ribbons. So if anyone has particle hair they want converted, you can send it to me and we'll see how it turns out. (HairTool addon is paid, around $30USD or so)
Attachments
mayastrands.PNG
GMH2 generated strands
hairtoolbigbakee.png
alpha mask in blender
GMH2_texture_bake.zip
(4.24 MiB) Downloaded 691 times
jujube

Postby jujube » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 am

Ignoring the features that have been removed and HOPEFULLY just haven't been put back yet, blender 2.8 really is quite lovely. It's like taking photographs.

(Although rendering has been sped up a lot, you still might want to reconsider getting 2.8 yet if your computer isn't as as beefy as mine, as although the viewport rendering is lighting-fast, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn if off... Which makes it still only a fun toy rather than something I'd use all the time, as the apparent and inexplicable lack of even a wireframe mode makes me irrationally angry. )

(sources:)
http://graphicall.org/1210
https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?h=the_sky_is_on_fire

edit: OH.... I feel like an idiot again.... for anyone brave enough to try 2.8, it seems you turn off the silly auto-render by switching to blender internal or game engine.
Attachments
sunset sphere 3.PNG
jujube

Postby jujube » Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Blender 2.79b + denoising + Principled shader "random walk" subsurface + hdrihaven + basemesh + Hairtool

You can make braids with hairtool now
Attachments
wird1.png
jujube

Postby jujube » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I spent today compiling the human head with SSS shader in different settings/colors, but for now, have a head covered in weird metallic goo.
Attachments
swirlygoo.png
jujube

Postby jujube » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 am

A bunch of material experiments and weird things...
(with a cameo from titleknown's chihuahua target!)
Attachments
toriel.PNG
trippy rainbow hair.PNG
cloud of rainbows2.PNG
cloththt.PNG
afjdosdfija.png
jujube

Postby RobBaer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:25 am

jujube wrote:Blender 2.79b + denoising + Principled shader "random walk" subsurface + hdrihaven + basemesh + Hairtool

You can make braids with hairtool now

Your hair tool experiments keep intriguing me, but I haven't quite pulled the trigger on paying up. :D

In your image the back lighting seems to reveal some transparency artifacts with the "stringy hair". Is this an intrinsic fault of the tool, or just an unhappy circumstance of this particular scene and the lighting choices you made while playing?

hair.png
hair transparency artifacts
RobBaer

Postby RobBaer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:33 am

jujube wrote:I spent today compiling the human head with SSS shader in different settings/colors, but for now, have a head covered in weird metallic goo.

Nice art!
RobBaer

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)