doodles and experiments

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: doodles and experiments

Postby jujube » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:01 am

Playing with cloth sim. Using just the automatic vertex groups, for some reason changing the muscle slider makes the hat deform in odd ways.
Attachments
hatgood.PNG
muscle1.PNG
muscle2.PNG
jujube

Postby jujube » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 pm

I decided to try out this addon that lets you create loops in cycles nodes.
There's something naturalistic/biological about the results. Like splattered paint on a wall, or like a holographic material. (The one on the left doesn't use the loop node but it's there anyway because it looks cool.)

Forum thread: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showth ... es-PyNodes
Instructions: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showth ... ost3188845
Attachments
weird textures.PNG
interations.PNG
2 vs 20 iterations
loopgroup.PNG
setting up a node group that can be used by the loop node
jujube

Postby grinsegold » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:01 am

wow, iterations! Fractals... Thanks for mentioning this promissing addon.

Edit: I've got something for you: The Texture Mapping Node does not provide sockets to drive the translate-, rotate- or scale-values by say other textures, but we can replace its functions discretely: translating is just adding values to the x- y- or z-channels of the texture noodle,
location.png
Color ADD

scaling is multiplying the vectors by something,
Scale.png
Color MULTIPLY

and finally, rotating is a bit more mathematical (with sinus, cosinus and all the evil stuff),
Rotation.png
the order matters

but luckily some smart people already did those replacements for us (look for the three nodes inside the blend).
Vector rotation nodes.blend
(550.73 KiB) Downloaded 688 times

Being able to drive the mapping is a powerful feature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUmLcXhUj0

rotX.png
rotY.png
rotZ.png

If you want to combine say a translation with scaling, just align them in the nodetree, one after the other, like adding up effects.

crazy procedural possibilities.png
Bonus
grinsegold

Postby jujube » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 am

Whoa, good idea! I think that will be very useful.
Attachments
nodes.PNG
jujube

Postby jujube » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Lately I've been trying to do perspective matching from photos (and anime backgrounds....)

I tried these addons for a while but it wasn't quite working out. Most of the time it would seem to match up with the perspective locally, only to deviate as you get closer to the edge of the photo.
https://github.com/stuffmatic/blam
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showth ... Rectangles

When searching for an alternative, the 3ds Max perspective matching feature looked good, so I went an installed the student version, just for that one feature.

(Google sketchup is also said to have camera matching, but google's search engine hasn't yet told me if that feature is available in the free version. )

The 3ds Max perspective matching has a better interface than in the blender addons. I figured I could use it to get the camera parameters, then create a similar camera in blender. 3ds Max specifies focal length and field of view independently though. Altering the sensor size to get them to match up didn't help. So I ended up making boxes in 3ds Max, and exporting them to blender. The results are pretty good I think, for something I whipped up in a new program.

The photo I used: "https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nederlands_Instituut_voor_Beeld_en_Geluid_(3).JPG"
Attachments
vanishinglines.PNG
Setting the vanishing lines in 3ds Max
3dsmax boxes.PNG
Making boxes
3dsmax exported boxes.PNG
Exported to blender
jujube

Postby wolgade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:03 am

Interesting. I experimented with the camera matching plugins available for blender a while back without much success. I ended up with a random scale or y being the up axis.
wolgade

Postby jujube » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Inspired by titleknown's awesomely weird posts, here is some weird stuff I did earlier this year. I think almost all of it was done with the default targets.
Attachments
another freak thing.PNG
uses viking outfit and hair bun
hahaidunnolol.JPG
whole body view
weird human looking at his own tiny fist.PNG
uses senpai-kun uniform, beard, and mohawk
spooky.PNG
A test of a sculpting tool, which I didn't save
jujube

Postby jujube » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:58 pm

no comment
Attachments
weird elf chimp baby.PNG
weird elf chimp baby.PNG (61.92 KiB) Viewed 9636 times
jujube

Postby jujube » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Hair tool x blender + GMH2 x maya + $$$ + tinkering = generated textured polygon hair

Hair tool to generate the ribbon hair mesh, and GMH2 to create and bake the procedural hair texture. (the human was not made by me, and comes with the hair tool addon. the hair strips were generated from one of the base mesh hairs in the addon, too.)

I think there was supposed to be a way to fade the edges off each hair strip, but I have to figure out what that was. (other than the cumbersome method of using rotated gradient textures.)

If I learn how to get better results, i could do more of these. But since my maya is the educational version, the textures could only legally be used for personal non-profit uses. Still, if anyone reads this post and wants this hair, I can export and send it. (both hair plugins can also produce actual physical/realistic hair tubes, but those would be harder to add to MH, I think. )

I also need to try using the new surface deform modifier from 2.79. It could potentially be used to have cloth sim of the base mesh drive animation of the fancy generated hair mesh.
Attachments
blend.PNG
hairtool mesh gmh2 tex.PNG
tubes.PNG
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Sounds like this has some potential, having more hair assets would really be great. I hope there are some hair textures out there with CC-like licenses, it seems like something that should exist. Are the textures from the current MH hair assets of any use with these tools?
blindsaypatten

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)