Making a ninja, can someone help out please?!

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Making a ninja, can someone help out please?!

Postby Mindfront » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Scynine wrote:Had to remake everything due to clothing being bugged, the bug was due to animation - character's body was constantly sticking through the clothing. So here is an updated version! Also I've not had much time recently to work on it.

Really nice work you have done, i am impressed and look forward to see more.
To hide or make the body invisible under clothes, select the MakeClothes helper character and on the actual body mesh select all vertices that should be invisible and assign them to the "delete" vertex group. For my ninja outfit i assigned all the body except the face and hands. I prefer to export my character from MakeHuman without masking anything and use the mask modifier in Blender, but when making clothes for MakeHuman it is good to make use of the masking feature when possible so the user can choose.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Finally my female ninja outfit is done. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/f_ninja.html

This was fun and a challange with several hard parts, e.g. I could not get the "hood" to deform nicely and I sat very long time just trying different vertex assignments but realized it was time to move on if the outfit ever would be finished. I am very satisfied with the armpit deformation as that part is one of the hardest to get, also after many many vertex assignments tries.
F_Ninja_by_Mindfront_01.png
Female Ninja outfit front

F_Ninja_by_Mindfront_02.png
Female Ninja outfit back

It has no weapons, maybe I later do some ninja tools but for the moment I have many other ideas to do before continuing this theme. I strongly recommends punkduck's"Katana (Kill Bill)" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... _bill.html and why not try punkduck's "Lasso (Wonderwoman)" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... woman.html .

For real stealth missions only the socks may be suitable so I gave them leather sole for extra comfort. The bow on the back is for decoration only as the belt use press buttons (I was to lazy to do a belt knob). The texture is made so it will work even if you want to remove the shoes, lacing and the bow on the back.
F_Ninja_by_Mindfront_03.png
The socks have leather sole

F_Ninja_by_Mindfront_04.png
The bow are removable

I made the original texturing in 8192x8192 as it was needed to get the detail level I wanted on fabric structure and seams (but the normal map got about 95mb in png). Even though the texture is large it was necessary to cover a full body outfit, each part conforms to only about 2048 texture resolution. I upload the 4096 resolution version as the size fits within the 30mb texture size limit and I guess 4096 is enough for most occasions unless the need of doing close ups like portraits but who would ever manage to catch a ninja long enough for close ups, the only close ups would be a foot in the face :D

One thing that bothers me is that I to late discovered some texture stretching as I did some changes on the mesh after I did uv unwrapping but forgot to do a new unwrapping. I had made to much work at that moment so I decided it may pass.

Funny how things can turn, I had never ever thought of making other clothes than ordinary wearables for ordinary life for ordinary scenes, and later do some sci-fi clothes, to end up with making, what should I call it, destructive clothes, made for situations not so pleasant.

My friend Bellatrix prepared this scene as I was on the final stage making the texturing, and is not meant to be a final artwork. Pity that ninjas mostly work at night (i imagine) as render times goes up when rendering dark scenes.
Ninja_scene_render.png
Female ninja scene

The scene reminds a little of the first episode in one of my favorite games "No one lives forever 2". I have done some manual adjustments on the clothes as it in some extreme poses deformation can be quite ugly. If you use Blender I recommend using shape keys when doing clothes fitness adjustments as you always have the original shape to fall back on.
Mindfront

Postby loki1950 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 am

Pity that ninjas mostly work at night (i imagine) as render times goes up when rendering dark scenes.

Actually it's the opposite no light at a pixel nothing to render but black ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby wolgade » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

Great work. I especially like the forrest images. How did you manage to match the lighting of the ninja to the background photograph? HDRI?
wolgade

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Looking at the back of the torso, is it my imagination or are the wrinkles mostly indentations instead of protrusions?

This is the sort of work that makes me despair about how crude my stuff is. :oops:
blindsaypatten

Postby Mindfront » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm

loki1950 wrote:Actually it's the opposite no light at a pixel nothing to render but black ;)

:lol: I think Blender renders dark matter, invisible but fills about 96% of the scene. 8-) And when Blender encounter a dark matter particle it manifests as noise.

wolgade wrote:Great work. I especially like the forrest images. How did you manage to match the lighting of the ninja to the background photograph? HDRI?

Yes, only a HDRi environment and a invisible plane to catch shadows, new in Blender 2.79. For this kind of preview render its fast and enough. The hard part is to get the right angle of the camera to match the HDRi perspective and that most of the HDRi have some kind of blurriness while the objects are sharp and for more serious render I would work on that.

As I thought someone in the community maybe intrested in trying doing own fast render ninja scenes I prepared an blender file with all neccessary render settings and my PBR material for the F Ninja outfit and punkduck's Katana. Embedded are some simple instructions for new blender users.
Ninja_scene.blend
Blender file including material and instructions for a fast render of my ninja outfit.
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 664 times
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:Looking at the back of the torso, is it my imagination or are the wrinkles mostly indentations instead of protrusions?

This is the sort of work that makes me despair about how crude my stuff is. :oops:

If you look at it in MakeHuman viewport sometimes the normal map looks inverted or strange, but if you looking on my preview images, an optical illusion :) Handmade all the way, could been better wrinkles but I had to stop sometime :ugeek:
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Although that this outfit will hide my complete character it is one of the best assets I have seen. Great work as always. :D
punkduck

Previous

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader