doodles and experiments

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: doodles and experiments

Postby grinsegold » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm glad someone starts dealing with bvh. I once or twice tried it out, but quickly got frustrated by too many snags. Especially i would like to learn how to use the bvh practically (stitching plural together to get a motion for my scene e.g.), so please go on reporting. Maybe one day we'll have a tutorial "MakeWalk 4 Noobs"...
grinsegold

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 pm

grinsegold wrote:I'm glad someone starts dealing with bvh. I once or twice tried it out, but quickly got frustrated by too many snags. Especially i would like to learn how to use the bvh practically (stitching plural together to get a motion for my scene e.g.), so please go on reporting. Maybe one day we'll have a tutorial "MakeWalk 4 Noobs"...

What snags did you run into? I played with BVH files for a while and I think I had solved all the problems I had run into. Perhaps we should create a separate thread for discussions of that.
blindsaypatten

Postby grinsegold » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm

A while ago i tried to master high heeled characters, animated with bvh. It never worked good. If i recall correct, i had to tweak the foot bones in edit mode, and still had a mediocre result. Also, each time i scroll down the t-panel in posemode, there is that bunch of buttons and debuggings that i never used and of which i have no clue. I hate being unaware, but naturally i prefer others having the hard work and handing me the fruits. Luckily the universe doesn't care and often enough lets me take the rocky path. Pain is an excellent teacher.
grinsegold

Postby jujube » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:Have you tried using more steps per frame while the blanket is falling? In your render it looks like the feet poke through a bit, and in the video some of the floor pokes through. Once the cloth penetrates an object it gets anchored there, and then subsequently it gets ripped apart because the penetration points get moved too far from each other. I'm guessing that there are other penetration points, and that the right hand penetrates the left thigh, causing the cloth to also penetrate the body.

Which CMU file is it?

Anyway, you come up with some pretty cool stuff!

Thanks!

The file should be in BVH directories 136-140, folder 139, 139_18.bvh.

This was still a work in progress/experiment. In the screenshot, the toe poking through I think was because I was moving the character without fully re-doing the cloth sim.
After I made the render+video, I spent a while playing with dynamic paint, trying to create the illusion of a soft bed. I was going to use a finer cloth mesh/smaller time step later, after I was satisfied with the scene. I did try a more-subdivided cloth though, actually, and it had an interesting effect of clinging to the character like fine silk, and getting jagged around the edges.

grinsegold wrote:I'm glad someone starts dealing with bvh. I once or twice tried it out, but quickly got frustrated by too many snags. Especially i would like to learn how to use the bvh practically (stitching plural together to get a motion for my scene e.g.), so please go on reporting. Maybe one day we'll have a tutorial "MakeWalk 4 Noobs"...

Yeah I was thinking about that too, about trying to stitch animations together. There was a section in makewalk that seemed like it was intended to do that, something with actions, but it didn't seem to do anything and I couldn't assign any actions.

There's also a cmu library viewer addon that I know came packaged with a 2.79 pre-release. It's useful for viewing the animations and not much else... there's a section of the addon that claims to involve makehuman, that I couldn't get to work. The addon wouldn't recognize rigs. When I searched for the error message in quotes, there literally only around four results in the whole internet. It seems no one has tried to use the cmu-makehuman (sub-?)addon before.
(Also, when you load the animations as a motion capture cloud, or whatever it was called, it would play the animation automatically as it was loading, outside the usual blender play button. Not sure what was happening there either.)
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 pm

A while ago i tried to master high heeled characters, animated with bvh. It never worked good.

Okay, I admit it, high heels is something I never tried. Not that it will help much but it does feature high heels:
https://youtu.be/_dbKDVd68Vg
I'm pretty sure I have seen another longer version of this that had a voice-over explanation...
blindsaypatten

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 pm

jujube wrote:There's also a cmu library viewer addon that I know came packaged with a 2.79 pre-release. It's useful for viewing the animations and not much else... there's a section of the addon that claims to involve makehuman, that I couldn't get to work.

Not the same thing but there's a guy that animated all the CMU files using MakeHuman and put them on youtube. Here's the one including your file:
https://youtu.be/0mhgrxCh5S0?t=2m8s
blindsaypatten

Postby jujube » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:
jujube wrote:There's also a cmu library viewer addon that I know came packaged with a 2.79 pre-release. It's useful for viewing the animations and not much else... there's a section of the addon that claims to involve makehuman, that I couldn't get to work.

Not the same thing but there's a guy that animated all the CMU files using MakeHuman and put them on youtube. Here's the one including your file:
https://youtu.be/0mhgrxCh5S0?t=2m8s

I finally clicked the link and it's awesome, thanks for sharing!
jujube

Postby jujube » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Dupli objects are fun
Attachments
mushroom floor.PNG
mushrooms.PNG
jujube

Postby grinsegold » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:47 pm

jujube wrote:Yeah I was thinking about that too, about trying to stitch animations together.

Lookwhat i found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwiaE7jQFE
grinsegold

Postby wolgade » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 pm

grinsegold wrote:Lookwhat i found:

Thank you very much. I'll have to try this.
wolgade

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)