Proxy addition causes large mesh transformations

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

Proxy addition causes large mesh transformations

Postby porky11 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:33 pm

I modified a default human mesh in blender and exported it as a proxy.
I just modified a small part of the original mesh, and it now has more vertices (i.e added a penis into the body mesh).

The penis works, but some different positions, I didn't even touch, don't look good anymore.

I added the default vertex groups, and added two new vertex groups for the penis, (penis, balls) and removed them from the other groups (mid, left, right).
I think, I have to set the vertex groups correctly, but I don't have an Idea, how/where. Can you help?
porky11

Re: Proxy addition causes large mesh transformations

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:12 am

If you post an image of the problem mesh it will be easier for people to take a guess at what went wrong.
blindsaypatten

Postby porky11 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 am

Here some pic of the default human with my penis proxy.
Attachments
penis-face.png
The face should look the same as with the base mesh, but doesn't
porky11

Postby wolgade » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:44 am

porky11 wrote:Here some pic of the default human with my penis proxy.

Whenever I did a proxy I needed six additional vertex groups: upper_lips_right, upper_lips_left, upper_lips_middle and the same for the lower lips. The lips of the base mesh are very close to each other, they even intersect. Without these groups parts of the upper lip of your proxy will get controlled by lower lip vertices of the base mesh and vice versa.
wolgade

Postby porky11 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 pm

I tried it, and it almost didn't change anything.
Would be nice to see the base mesh and mesh used by adult male genitalia for example or have some base mesh with many vertex groups set as default, so that I almost don't have to change anything, to make everything work correctly.

Is there some better way to find out, which vertex groups have to be selected, or how to solve it else?
porky11

Postby RobBaer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:07 am

porky11 wrote:I modified a default human mesh in blender and exported it as a proxy.
I just modified a small part of the original mesh, and it now has more vertices (i.e added a penis into the body mesh).

My recollection is that vertex order is important for the weighting process. Not sure if this could be affecting what is happening to you. Did the new vertices get added in the middle or at the end?

I don't know if you've seen the technical docs on weighting. If not, maybe it will help.

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _and_poses
RobBaer

Postby porky11 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:58 am

The problem only occurs, when I don't use the adult mesh for modelling.
But when I don't use the adult mesh, the penis looks weird for younger ages
porky11

Postby wolgade » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:02 am

RobBaer wrote:My recollection is that vertex order is important for the weighting process.

Vertex order is important for the mesh set as "Human" in MakeClothes. If vertex order is not preserved on the human mesh you'll get results ranging from wrong to nonsense. Vertex order is not important for the proxy. It doesn't even make sense for the proxy as a proxy can have more or less vertices than the base mesh and a completely different topology.
porky11 wrote:The problem only occurs, when I don't use the adult mesh for modelling.
But when I don't use the adult mesh, the penis looks weird for younger ages

I don't quite understand this. What do mean by "for modelling"? You use the adult mesh as a template or starting point for your proxy? Shouldn't be a problem. You don't try to use anything but the base mesh as the "human" mesh? This would be wrong and raise the vertex order problem discussed above.
wolgade

Postby porky11 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 am

It works now. The problem was, that I used a mesh exported from makehuman, which I edited. When modifying the base mesh, it works without porblems
porky11

Postby porky11 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm

I still have problems: The penis either looks good when changing age, but not when making more complicated transformations, or when using vertex groups, it never looks good, but doesn't look different after transformations at least.
Is there somewhere the .blend file of the adult_male_genitalia?
porky11

Next

Return to Community discussions