Normal and Occlusion Maps

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Normal and Occlusion Maps

Postby grinsegold » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:21 pm

joepal wrote:Also, the asset editor plugin will help you significantly if you want to adjust asset files. Then you don't need to modify them by hand.

Have you already made a youtube on that ;) ?
grinsegold

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:30 pm

joepal wrote:Also, the asset editor plugin will help you significantly if you want to adjust asset files. Then you don't need to modify them by hand.

Sorry, but I partially disagree. Especially in the material section it misses a bunch of keywords, simply because I don't know how to handle them. And currently the editor has no option to handle faulty keywords...
In fact it needs to be seriously refactored.
Aranuvir

Postby o4saken » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:02 am

So this is not great, rather this was me playing to see if its possible to get black shiny on black matt - answer is no, or i dont know how.
Anyways onward with my learning, so this is the last of this type of asset i will be making - by that i mean a single colour/pattern diffuse - i was experimenting with spec and bump maps, that sorted now i want to try and make more highly detailed diffuse textured models with Buckles, zippers etc.

top.png
Attachments
top.zip
(13.31 MiB) Downloaded 707 times
o4saken

Postby wolgade » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 am

o4saken wrote:So this is not great, rather this was me playing to see if its possible to get black shiny on black matt - answer is no,

It's a good idea to avoid perfect black (R:0%,G:0%,B:0%).Technically a shader multiplies RGB values with some other values. A value of exactly 0 can be multiplied with anything, it will always stay 0. Use a dark grey as your black.
wolgade

Postby o4saken » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:54 am

jorgeo - made a post under monthly contest "male" about competitive male latin dance clothes, having seen the links he posted i decided to try make one.
It is not easy to get a velvet looking material using only a single diffuse, i did my best at this, and am actually quite pleased with the result - it doesn't look 100% up close but a bit of distance and it passes.
Originally i tried to do the diamonds as part of the diffuse - bump texture but this was not convincing enough, so i did it as geometry.
This asset has the usual diffuse, Ambient occlusion, specularity, and normal map - which works but i have also included an Anisotropic shader factor texture to give more shine to the diamonds - as can see by the node setup a mix shader is plugged in, to which the anisotropic shader is plugged in the bottom, the colour for the anisotropic is from the diffuse and the anisotrope.factor.png is plugged into the factor for the mix shader.
anistrope.PNG

shirt.png
Old Version with Normals

Another thing is the actual clothes normally close up between the legs, i didnt model this part as it will be irrelevant once the model has pants on.

EDIT: So i did some playing and i decided to scrap the Normal Map - And make the spec map details a bit smaller. over all i am much happier with this result
shirt.png
New one without normals - Please tell me you prefer this one.

the Above render i mixed the diffuse shader, with a dark grey velvet shader, and then the standard setup for the rest including the anisotrope steps above. -- I tried to just use a pain velvet node, but it doesnt work quite well. thus i mixed the 2.
Attachments
latindance.zip
(9.37 MiB) Downloaded 628 times
o4saken

Postby jorgeo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am

o4saken wrote:jorgeo - made a post under monthly contest "male" about competitive male latin dance clothes, having seen the links he posted i decided to try make one.

So cool! Thanks so much!
jorgeo

Postby Mindfront » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:01 am

@o4saken. I really like your clothes! And, as grinsegold did, encourage you to post your cloth at the assets place when finished.

I read that you got error when exporting the textures and I had this problem at the beginning, as DredNicolson wrote, MakeClothes want absolute file path to the texture file. When you open an image you can uncheck:
Texture_Relative_Path.png
Texture_Relative_Path.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 7620 times
at the lower part of the left menu.

Then avoid space in the file name, I always use _ instead. I dont know if that important but my experience is that space in file name can cause problems in certain situations with headaches due til (google translate :) )
Mindfront

Postby o4saken » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 am

I wanted to try and make anime type clothing - starting simple - this being the inspiration:
a84b92d8f952ab91b85625a6b3b697e7.jpg

Anyways so i started doing very quick work on it, mostly because i dont have much time as i have a lot of work to finish.
Well this is the result, its not the greatest - mainly because i feel its unfinished, the texture and creases needed a bit more work.. but no time :(
render.png

Threw together a normal map for this during my break - use this rather than the bump.
norm.png

with the normal plugged in
normrender.png
Attachments
deathnote.zip
(5.98 MiB) Downloaded 472 times
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:14 pm

maskrender.png

Just messing around - would be nice to make a complete ballroom outfit.
Attachments
ballmask.zip
(326.25 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
o4saken

Postby blindsaypatten » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 pm

I downloaded the zip files for the nate hair and nate jacket on page 8 of this thread. What I got was this:
NateIssues.png

I noticed there were three .tga files in the jacket zip that weren't listed in the mhmat file. I converted the ..._d.tga to a .png file and added a diffuseTexture line to the .mhmat file but it didn't change anything.

Has anyone got those assets working correctly in MakeHuman?

Thanks,
Lindsay
blindsaypatten

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)