VADER_wip

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: VADER_wip

Postby grinsegold » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 am

Yep, i messed up the helpers. Calling up a fresh one did the trick indeed. The helmet and mask are one item each with *-binding on 3 vertices. I thought, that would result in a rigid, uniformly scaling object. But it seems to be the oposite rather. In fact, i begin to doubt my own memory. However, the solution is simple: dont touch anything if you want the real one. That leads me to the next issue. I noticed that the little red light on gizmo 3+4 is slightly off. Is this the issue MH-default vs. "human" again? Have to sort that out before release. Can't remember what or where i read about a target-based solution for this incompatibility problem. Would be a shame if i didn't fix that. Thanks for your response anyway.
grinsegold

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:26 am

Assigning something to a *-group with 3 verts in a triangle on the human should result in a rigid linear-scaling and non-deformning mesh. And it works for me, take a look here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... ng_a_sword

Concerning applied targets, you need 50% male, 50% female and 33% of each ethnicity to match the base toon in MH. Jujube has added a very convenient target for this: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... arget.html

If you use *maketarget* (not makeclothes) to load a base mesh, and then use maketarget to load jujube's target, then you should have a base mesh aligned to the mh default toon.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby grinsegold » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

Cool! Thx, Joel. So theoretically it shouldn't matter which 3 verts i pick, right? As long as the vector differences of them are big enough to describe their location with sufficient accuracy, which i assume they easily do even when i pick direct neighbors, right?
Are there plans to unify the default and the human?
Hell, i just made the target bypass and i can't believe how different they are. Do i have to model it all again now?

Oh, and could someone please point me to the page with the list of possible mhmat entries. Mostly i'm interested in the right namings for the different types of textures. And i'd love to understand why mh uses "bump" and "normal" in such an odd way (it uses a normalmap and detects it as "bumpTexture" and sets bump as true, but normal as false). In general, i feel uncomfortable with the mh material editor. Maybe some day someone will make a youtube demo on that...
Attachments
4.png
Last edited by grinsegold on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
grinsegold

Postby joepal » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 am

You should pick a triangle which you think will scale well with what you add. I.e for a helmet, you might want to select a vert above each eyebrow and a vert at mid/top of the skull. If you choose three random vertices somewhere else on the body, the results might become rather random.

I still have on my todo list to add "default mh toon" to the dropdown for loading a base mesh in maketarget/makeclothes, but I have to untangle the source code for those addons first.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby grinsegold » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am

Have a lookat this: i thought the altered position of the red light at gizmo 3+4 were due to conversion glitches, but i reclothified one of them, and old and new version look the same. The glitch occures when i press the smooth-button in MH. No big problem. I'll tell the user in the description not to export the smoothed version.
Attachments
8.png
exported unsmooth
7.png
exported as smooth mesh
6.png
5.png
grinsegold

Postby CallHarvey3d » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 pm

looks great! nice you are going all out with this one. keep up the good work!
CallHarvey3d

Postby wolgade » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 pm

grinsegold wrote:And i'd love to understand why mh uses "bump" and "normal" in such an odd way (it uses a normalmap and detects it as "bumpTexture" and sets bump as true, but normal as false).

I never managed to make MakeClothes export bump maps correctly. I always edited the material file manually just to realize that MH didn't care about my bump map. This might be my fault. I really hate the material section of Blender internal.

BTW: I left a comment on your Vader gloves with instructions how to change the mhclo file to make them work.
wolgade

Postby grinsegold » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:08 pm

wolgade wrote:I really hate the material section of Blender internal.

Yep, i was close to giving up the hole idea of making a scalable MH-toon from it, but instead post a pitchipoy-rigged Cycles-version on blendswap: no struggle with stoneage-shaders. unlimited freedom in use of textures, no quad-restriction, perfect weight painting... in fact, i should do a pitchipoy version anyway. Most of the people just want the original form anyway, not the ability to morph it to e. g. a female fat baby.
But overcoming those moments of frustration is what makes us grow. Lessons...
grinsegold

Postby grinsegold » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 am

i think it will work mostly... of course not the materials. They behave odd as usual after reimporting into blender.
Attachments
9.png
Darth Vader.zip
(9.95 MiB) Downloaded 697 times
grinsegold

Postby grinsegold » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:00 pm

2. try. Better visibility inside MH...
Attachments
16.png
Darth Vader v.2.zip
(9.95 MiB) Downloaded 658 times