1.1.1 splash screen contest

Contributions for and discussions on the monthly contests.

Moderator: joepal

1.1.1 splash screen contest

Postby joepal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 am

As it is starting to look conceivable that a patch release 1.1.1 will appear on the horizon, I think it's time to give the splash screen some love. We've been using the same one for some time now.

Thus: calling all artists to produce a suggestion for a new splash. There are no limitations on contents really, although it should be safe for work. Format is 800x600 PNG.

Contributions should be sent in before january 28, after which I'll run a poll. However, the MH team will reserve the option to in the end pick another splash screen than the one that got the most votes.

These are some of the previous splashes:

splash-a6.png

splash-102.png

splash-current.png
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: 1.1.1 splash screen contest

Postby RobBaer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:21 am

I wonder if someone(s) could do something interesting from the Mindfront/Punkduck ballet image that is on the facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/makehuman/post ... 9729826924

Any interest in immortalizing this stuff on a splash screen, you guys?
RobBaer

Postby wolgade » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 am

RobBaer wrote:Any interest in immortalizing this stuff on a splash screen, you guys?

The trouble with the splash screen contest: There's almost no time to get something ready until the deadline.

If you have a look at the recent splash screen and its predecessors you'll notice that they share a certain style, a certain way to play with light. I consider this to be iconic. For a new splash screen I'd try to stick to this style. On the other hand it has to be something new. There's the major problem. You need an idea. This usually takes its time. BTW: I like your ballet dancer idea.
wolgade

Postby brkurt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 pm

wolgade wrote:
RobBaer wrote:Any interest in immortalizing this stuff on a splash screen, you guys?

The trouble with the splash screen contest: There's almost no time to get something ready until the deadline.

If you have a look at the recent splash screen and its predecessors you'll notice that they share a certain style, a certain way to play with light. I consider this to be iconic. For a new splash screen I'd try to stick to this style. On the other hand it has to be something new. There's the major problem. You need an idea. This usually takes its time. BTW: I like your ballet dancer idea.

I would suggest running with the 'ballet' theme, but using two dancers, a male and a female (the muscular topologies, and the braided hair are sure favorites).

After that, it's just a question of which traditional pose. Something like:

brkurt

Postby RobBaer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Perhaps you are right about time.

But even if something doesn't make it in time for 1.1.1, there is already staging for 1.1.2 and 1.2.0, so if someone is interested and falls short on time, there will be other chances to use it.

If someone would enjoy this type of artistic challenge, just let us know, and we can work with you on timing and roll-out.

And yes, I've remained taken with the ballet dancer idea ...

... but I'm sure there are a million other great ideas. Anyone else want to just share ideas to inspire our community artists?
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Yeah, I'd be happy to change splash screen for each patch release. So if you can't make it in time for this one, there'll definitely be a chance for the next.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby brkurt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm

joepal wrote:Yeah, I'd be happy to change splash screen for each patch release. So if you can't make it in time for this one, there'll definitely be a chance for the next.

I'd love to help, but aside from teaching, I'm already committed to two large graphic projects. As if that weren't enough, I've been asked to become part of the cybersecurity team at my college, and we all know what a time-muncher dealing with nervous faculty and sneaky students can be. ;)

I should never have shown the faculty this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BAzYbOaeY

Be that as it may, the splash screen needs to use the best of the topologies, which right now the muscular and the braids. The artist would need a good working knowledge of posing the figures, and even more, a fine grasp of Cycles. It is important that Makehuman be demonstrated as having a great deal of open-source backup tech, so that interested parties don't see it as a one-shot deal.
brkurt

Postby wolgade » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:26 pm

As I already said: Ballet dancer is a great idea. This is a draft, not a contest entry:
untitled.png

Comments appreciated.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm

wolgade wrote:As I already said: Ballet dancer is a great idea. This is a draft, not a contest entry:
untitled.png

Comments appreciated.

True elegance, good light effects and a very suitable topic for a program like Makehuman. When we do poses, maybe the skeleton should also be visible in some way. Unfortunately I'm too fixed to reality so that I'm not able to do something artificial to show the principal points :oops:

But yes, something like that would be fantastic.
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks for your feedback. This was a one afternoon job. The problem is always the same: After a few hours of work you can't really judge wether you've got something presentable or just a heap of crap.
punkduck wrote:When we do poses, maybe the skeleton should also be visible in some way.

Interesting point, but I think: No. The worst thing to do is to overload the image. I made several experiments with motion blur and a moving illuminated wireframe human to put some dynamic to the image. It all ended up with something distracting from the main model on the left side. As a result I pushed the wireframe human back and scaled it up. Trying to visualize the rig will make it a messy heap of unidentifiable illuminated pixels. Even if not, it will ask for too much attentiom on the right side. I don't want that.
But yes, something like that would be fantastic.

That's what I call motivation. I think I'll follow my road.
wolgade

Next

Return to Monthly contest