Fashion renders

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Fashion renders

Postby joepal » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:42 pm

I've idly been thinking about making a few clothes mail order type of renders with picks from the user repos, something like this:

lightroom.png
First sketch

The idea would be to have a neutral background, good lighting and combine dresses from various authors into appealing demo images. All renders would have roughly the same composition (same camera angle, same lighting, same position for toons, although they might be posed a bit in some cases).

Any comments on how to improve this image in regards to lighting, composition, background etc?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Fashion renders

Postby punkduck » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 pm

The shader+lighting reminds me of a manufacturer of miniature model figures because of the glossiness (my second hobby is model railways, so for me it is okay ;) ).

But it is typical the first thing I've to change when I import clothes into Blender.

So it depends on the goal you have. I guess it is to present the standard you get, when you directly import the character without changing anything. Then of course we had deformed breast sections and other problems like glossiness etc. So at least you should use characters really near to the mannequins in makeclothes. The next problem might be the combination. I tried to do things like jeans under the shirt etc. but of course when I combine my clothes with other ones this does not have to work ...

But the real great thing about MH (and Blender) is, that with a little efford you get really natural pictures. So maybe we should do the "raw method" as you mentioned to create catalog-like pictures but additionally give a link or picture how a forum user uses it for his purpose. E.g. all pictures I appended are free to be linked or used for this purpose, no problem. But I can only speak for myself and not for other users in this forum.

Btw.: it would be nice to see some new pictures in facebook etc. it is not happening much there since Manuel left :cry: You may e.g. take my summerdress or wintercoat picture from the gallery ... I don't know, but I believe it is a better eye-catcher than the simple 128x128 MH thumb or the example picture in the assets ;)
punkduck

Postby RobBaer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:18 pm

Like the idea.

Reading punkduck's comments on lighting, made me wonder what the test image you have look like with Manuel Bastioni Lab's built in lighting? Does that lighting setup produce useful and easily accessible results?

Indeed such art would be a nice kind of art to push to Facebook audience.
RobBaer

Postby badwolf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:58 pm

What might help is having a "standard Scene" blend file to do the renders.
badwolf

Postby punkduck » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 pm

A typical light setup for studio fashion photo shootings consists of softboxes (area lamps in blender, starting at e.g. 60x60 cm). Sometimes only one, if you want shadow, but most times at least two. Often background highlighting is done with a spot. Typical you use different unicolored backgrounds. Sometimes also assets like furniture, which you must pay for, when you rent the studio ;) . The color of the background should be different from the piece of cloth, obviously. You may also use additional lamps to brighten up details or dark parts of the model.

There are professional programs to help you to build a light setup and save some money because a model must be paid per hour, where you also find examples. I've asked a professionel photographer and then I've done it for myself using blender, here is the result. This picture:

leska_summercollection1.jpg

has been done with the following light setup, the blender lamps are really "inside" the lamps in this scene (some additional light is also added from the ceil of the room). The camera shows the position, where the first picture is made.

leska_summercollection2.jpg

Furthermore there are some videos about light setups in YouTube ... it is an interresting topic.
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 am

Any chance you could make and share a generic studio setup that would be likely to work for the majority of the existing clothes assets? (if doesn't work to attach to a post here, mail me at joepal1976@hotmail.com)

My admittedly half-baked goals with the fashion render thingy would be:

• Allow users to get an honest idea of how clothes look immediately after being imported into blender (i.e without any manual touch-up)
  • Allow users to compare how clothes from different authors look under exactly the same circumstances
  • Have a palatable standardized mail-order catalogue kind of gallery for different clothes setups

I'm thinking that if there is a standard .blend that can be re-used for each render, I could then open a new area in the asset repos where anyone can upload a 1920x1080 render from that .blend depicting a toon wearing a desired clothes setup. The rules would then be something like:

• You can't change position or strength of lights
  • You can't change camera position or angle
  • You can't change any material from how they look after having been imported by MHX2
  • You are allowed to add a subdivision modifier to clothes (since I think that's basically the first thing everyone would do for a render anyway)
  • In the case of intersecting clothes when mixing stuff from different authors, you're allowed to delete a few vertices from a clothes piece that pokes through another clothes piece (it's unfair to require that one clothes author should need to take into account how stuff from another author would work)
  • You are allowed to choose whatever toon you like (fat/young/extreme/normal...)
  • You are allowed to use whatever pose you like

If/when there is a standard scene around for these renders, I'd make it available somewhere to ask for more comment from users here before launching the above.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby punkduck » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi

There are at least 2 problems ...

1) Typically fashion shooting is done in portrait mode. The light setup for a person laying on the floor, sitting on a chair or staying is not identical. So do not take 1920 x 1080. E.g. take 800x1200.

2) Allow at least the background color to be modified. For the white lingerie a white background is not very good ;)

My proposal is this:

lightsetup.png

For explanation: The badger effect is, that a face looks like a badger (=shadow directly in the middle of nose), when you place the softboxes symmetrical. Of course this is only possible when character looks directly into the camera. The high focal length is quite normal not to get a fish-eye effect.

For more than one perspective there is only one way to do it: copy the 2 or 3 perspectives in GIMP together ... here is an example with an unmodified export (okay, for the hair I throw out the fresnel, it looked too weird with the white glossy input, but the rest is really an export). So after copying the parts together it looks like this:

fashion_shooting.jpg

Special lights for highlighting faces, hair etc. are not used, because you never know where the face is, if you allow poses :lol:

Of course I can upload the .blend file (it should be rather small I guess), if that fits to your idea, I will do it.
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok, I see your point. Full HD might be a crappy resolution for when rendering a single standing character, and I guess it might be tricky to make the lighting fit two or three characters in a row at the same time.

Something like this then:

lightbox1.png
lightbox2.png
lightbox3.png

I've here tried to avoid having lights that are bright enough to burn out white areas. And the resolution (640x1080) is aimed at being functional for a facebook image when having three images merged side by side.

If at all possible, I'll try to think up a scheme which doesn't require users to manually stitch together images. The fewer manual steps the higher the likelihood someone would actually bother with it all.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

And the .blend file, for if someone wants to take a look at it and suggest improvements.
Attachments
LightRoom2.blend
(521.02 KiB) Downloaded 794 times
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby punkduck » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi

There is not much difference between my lighsetup and yours. I used normal area lamps, connected to boxes (these are only for visualization), because with lightplanes I had sometimes bad experiences with fireflies in the past. But in your pictures they don't appear. Even my format was nearly identical (it was 650x1080 for some overlapping).

You should mention, how we should scale our toon when exporting in mhx2 format. Mine is 10 times bigger, I can't squeeze her in that box ... :lol:

Last not least, I guess that setup is okay now.
punkduck

Next

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)