More detailed female skin texture

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Re: More detailed female skin texture

Postby MTKnife » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 am

I agree you can get better results with Blender, but putting reasonable values into an MHMAT file would perform the extremely useful service of giving people an idea of what the skin will look like on a particular character, without having to export to Blender to find out. If I can get an idea of the settings you use, I can help you with that.
MTKnife

Postby o4saken » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 am

I think i am finally close to the result i want.. should be able to quickly finish up the normal map tonight.. I tried the sculpting from two objects, from multires, but everytime even when i just built the collar bones up, when looking closely there were marks, lines, little triangles, which if trying to polish out or smooth somehow became worse... I have no explanation for this as it didn't happen on the male model sculpt..

Eventually i found GLSL texture painting - it has nothing to do with sculpting, its basically painting the model with black or white (a bump map really) but as you paint you see the results in realtime, and in the end you bake your results to a normal map.. Awesome!! because if you save the black and white bump image, you can then move to Photoshop where you can refine and add, then go back to blender and complete baking. One thing though that is not in the video, is that if you are drawing something that takes a while, you cant just save the blend file... when you open it all the work is gone.. you must save out your images with your progress separately.

https://vimeo.com/21186170
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Ok So completely off the topic here... but i was playing with the GLSL texture painting as described above.. came up with this and thought i would share it so that if anyone is interested they can see the results from using that technique.
Attachments
terminatorrenderchroma.png
terminator.png
terminatornorm.png
redeye.png
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Ok so after a lot of work i can say i am quite happy with this... yes its not perfect and i will fine tune things, i.e the skin bumps in some places like the face might be a bit strong... but for now i am quite happy with the results.
The collar bones are finally smooth! The lips have been incorporated into the normal map, but i am leaving a separate version here as well because in some cases one might want to have that a bit stronger.

The AO however didnt want to render out for some reason.. i will look at that tonight and hopefully add tomorrow.

The actual skin textures are still on page 1
Attachments
result.png
NormalMap.png
normnew.png
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:05 pm

@ MTKnife with regards to the settings I am not sure exactly what u need, basically I take the skin texture into diffuse. That then goes into a mix shader then into output. A glossy shader is the second shader that goes into the mix shader with a slight blue colour, the factor for the mix is a Fresnel. Then simply take the normal map at strength 1 into the displacement of the material output. ... that was all I used. . I would normally have put a subsurface scattering on. .. but that is optional.

If you need anything more specific please ask
o4saken

Postby MTKnife » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:34 am

OK, thanks!
MTKnife

Postby wolgade » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:06 am

Finally found some time to play around with your texture. Great work. Did you consider to publish it in the user repo? May I use it? If so, under what license?
wolgade

Postby learning » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:49 pm

o4saken has some real gems just laying around in the forum somewhere. Everything he made is worth contributing into contrib section and it would be better than most things there. Pity that he doesn't do it.
learning

Postby o4saken » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:06 am

wolgade wrote:Finally found some time to play around with your texture. Great work. Did you consider to publish it in the user repo? May I use it? If so, under what license?

Hi sure you may use it... under what licence... (i don't know the licences) but none really, i just put things here for anyone to use it, do with what they want with it.. everything i have made has been me just doing it for fun and learning as i go along.
o4saken

Postby learning » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:15 am

You are real talent though. Whenever you feel like it, make moar stuff, it would be always helpful.
learning

PreviousNext

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)