More detailed female skin texture

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

More detailed female skin texture

Postby o4saken » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:21 am

So i decided to attempt a more detailed female skin... first thing i do is take the original MH texture and add more detail to the texture, make sure to move nothing.
once this is complete i check the results in blender.. Well firstly the UV of the nipples doesnt align with the texture, so i am not sure how everyone has been using the MH texture... Easy to fix, move them down a bit in my skin texture till aligned.

Anyway so i decided with this attempt that i would not put all the details on the skin, and rather work on getting the bigger details from a normal and AO texture.
So i sat and did a sculpt, and baked normals, but for some reason when i apply it it comes out a mess, all blocky.. so FAIL...and i tried repeating the normal export only to get the same result... So well another hurdle, i will just have to scrap the sculpt and start from scratch perhaps trying to use Multires instead of 2 objects. something has got to work.

All that said here is what the skin is looking like in itself so far..
Attachments
female.png
o4saken

Re: More detailed female skin texture

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi o4saken,

nice to see you started the female texture. I'll be glad to see your progress. Kudos to your good work. :D
Aranuvir

Postby o4saken » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Had a few spare minutes today to try do some more work on this... i resculpted and exported the normal map... but again it looks very strange :(.. i can only think that for the male normal i exported from makehuman with smooth on - where for the female i didn't, so i think that even though i am pushing the subdivision up for sculpting, the actual base is too low causing it to make vertex marks on the normal map.. Atleast this is what i am hoping is the issue because its the last thing i can think to try.

However the occlusion map comes out perfect... so here in the example i have moved the nipples down to where they need to be, then rendered the skin texture with the AO plugged in - it works (I.e the collar bone) but it will be better with the normals plugged in..

Anyways so i will attempt the sculpting and normal map making one more time, then hopefully i can upload the complete set at once.. if not i will upload what i have so far.
Attachments
render.png
o4saken

Postby solarforge » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:22 am

The first render looks really nice ! GJ, inspiring ! ; I am just about to try and make some detailed skin textures as well...
solarforge

Postby o4saken » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:14 am

Righty - so decided i am going to take some time and really try work on a clean normal map.. but for now i have taken the one i got and worked on it in photoshop to take out all the marks.. its ok, it works, but its missing some details i would like to have.

that is basically all that is missing - obviously once i achieve that then the occlusion map will change as well.
but for now - here is everything in its current (working) state.

In the example render i noticed black spots - this was coming from the normal map - i have since cleaned that up

EDIT - I have added 2 skin textures - the lighter one was used in all the example renders, with the lighting in the first one it looked darker - but when properly lit it is not so dark, anyway i wanted something in between thus the second version (color variation) .
Attachments
o4sakenfemalelight2.png
o4sakenfemalelight.png
render.png
Last edited by o4saken on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o4saken

Postby MTKnife » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:20 am

Why a separate normal map for the lips? I assume that's intended for Blender, not MH, but why not combine the two maps?
MTKnife

Postby MTKnife » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:36 am

OK, second question: for the MHMAT file, what shader and other settings (ambient, specular, and emissive colors) should I be using?
MTKnife

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:49 am

Well, just played around a bit with the normal map and I can say I'm very happy with the result.

Lip_Stick02.png

Perhaps I exaggerated with the lip normals, but it was just a quick test.

Many thanks, o4saken! :D
Aranuvir

Postby o4saken » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:08 am

Aranuvir wrote:Well, just played around a bit with the normal map and I can say I'm very happy with the result.

Lip_Stick02.png

Perhaps I exaggerated with the lip normals, but it was just a quick test.

Many thanks, o4saken! :D

That looks AWESOME!
This is why i didn't mix the two because the strength of the normal map required for the skin as opposed to what is required for the lips is very different,

I am hoping that once i manage to get a decent normal map out for the body, it will be combined as the lips would have been sculpted as well.
But i put the separate one on here because i figured even if you werent using my skin texture someone might find the normal for the lips usefull (as you have shown.)

MTKnife wrote:OK, second question: for the MHMAT file, what shader and other settings (ambient, specular, and emissive colors) should I be using?

Shaders in MH i have 0 understanding about - i have never tried because for me MH is an amazing tool to get the character, but then i shift to blender and build everything there purely because 1. i understand it and 2. i think its shaders are better that MH.
o4saken

Postby duststorm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Perhaps the difference in normal mapping strength can be solved with a specular map?
Or some other greyscale map that controls the intensity? Perhaps even vertex properties/weights?
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Next

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)