MakeHuman Importer for Unity3D

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman Importer for Unity3D

Postby exspiravit » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:56 pm

This includes a custom skeleton for the nightly build of MakeHuman. The skeleton has detailed hands and some facial features and imports cleanly into Unity3D. A preview of the end result can be found here. The preview uses Unity3D's built-in animation system and some custom normal maps.
Other screenshots
Attachments
MHImport.zip
.unitypackage file
(11.05 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
exspiravit

Re: MakeHuman Importer for Unity3D

Postby joepal » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:17 pm

That's nice. It has not been trivial to import a rigged and textured toon into unity. (or maybe I just suck at unity, I just opened it and played around for a few hours)

Looking in the zip file, I don't see an actual skeleton. Do you have to open or import the package to get it?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby exspiravit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:50 am

Yes, it is included in the package file. Here is the .mhskel file by itself.
Attachments
MHImport_mhskel.zip
(5.82 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
exspiravit

Postby joepal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 am

Ok, playing around with it a bit...

First hurdle I ran into was that it didn't want to find the textures:

mhi6.png

So I created the dir and copied all the textures the FBX exporter had created into it. But it still didn't seem to want to find the appropriate texture.

mhi7.png

As said, my Unity skills are very lacking, so I might be missing something obvious. But maybe there should be a line in the readme about the texture dir.

Otherwise the pipeline seems smooth so far, from MHIimporter skel in MH to import. Maybe a .thumb file for the mhskel file would be a nice touch (it's just a 128x128 px PNG renamed to .thumb, to place alongside the mhskel in the rigs dir)

I'll try to figure out the posing later, but right now a customer is yelling at me because a mission critical server is unreachable. People become so neurotic from even such minor details...
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby exspiravit » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:49 pm

You need to export the makehuman .fbx file directly from makehuman to the Unity project's assets directory so the materials and textures are linked properly. I should probably upload a tutorial video on the whole process, I can see how the ambiguity would arise.
exspiravit

Return to User contributions