My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection, part II

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection, part II

Postby Sculletto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi all,

It was in September when I published my Scifi uniforms collection in the gallery:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12513

At that time, I believed that my uniforms had reached a quite final state. Since then, however, I found myself again and again continuing work on them, so I decided to "downgrade" their status to WIP.
Here is the actual version of my work, by the example of the fully black and the red-white uniform variant:
Black-Black + Red-White 12_23.png
Actual version, from December 23, 2015

Just to give you an impression how earlier stages of my work had looked like, I would like to show you some examples, from before the September version and since then.

This is a very early one, from April 5, not even two weeks after I started working with MakeHuman at the end of March. Quite rudimentary, don't you think:
Black-Black + Red-White 04_05.jpg
From April 5, 2015

This is a little later, from May 31. The boots' leather now consists of several parts that are sewed together, and the upper ends of the boot-legs look more realistic:
Black-Black + Red-White 05_31.jpg
From May 31, 2015

Next is from September 5, which is very close to what I already published in my September thread. Here, I just had found out how to create a quite beautiful girl in MakeHuman, by using eyebrows and eyelashes, and had made changes at sleeves and collar:
Black-Black + Red-White 09_05.jpg
From September 5, 2015

In the next version from October 21, I tried to achieve a more realistic wrinkling effect on the boots' leather using Sculpt Mode in Blender:
Black-Black +Red-White 10_21.jpg
From Octrober 21, 2015

In the next version from November 15, I tried a different wrinkling effect based on a Stucci Normal map in combination with UV mapping:
Black-Black + Red-White 11_15.png
From November 15, 2015

What makes the difference between that Nov 15 version and the actual one is that in the latter, the proportions of the boots are changed - the boot-legs are wider now compared to the foot length (may it be that MakeHuman produces legs that are very thin at the ankles?) - the Normal map is changed into a Displace map, and the red uniform's material has become darker.

That's it. Let's see how my work will continue in the future.
Sculletto

Re: My Sci-Fi starship uniforms collection, part II

Postby learning » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:18 am

Yes, indeed, there's quite a bit of progress. Would you share some version for people to try out?
learning

Postby joepal » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:25 am

Those boots look really nice
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Sculletto » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:35 pm

learning wrote:Yes, indeed, there's quite a bit of progress. Would you share some version for people to try out?

Of course. Find attached a 7-zipped Blender file that contains the fully black and the red-white variant in the Dec 23 version. Feel free to experiment with it.
The version number 1.2.9.21 is from my internal versioning scheme. So far, there are about 300 different versions, so that a simple enumeration would be impractical.
Attachments
Uniforms Pack 1.2.9.21 to share.blend.7z
7-zipped Blender file with fully black and red-white variant
(11.74 MiB) Downloaded 798 times
Sculletto

Postby learning » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Thank you. I've pondered around for some time and managed to feed your space uniform boots into MakeClothes and make an MH asset out of them. Here I attach the asset file (to be unpacked into a subdirectory of <MH directory>/data/clothes). It looks half-decent as is, and more decent with subdivision surface applied in blender, but compared to your blend it's an obvious downgrade in terms of looks.
starshipboots.7z
(23.28 KiB) Downloaded 638 times

The diffuse texture is just plain black image, it can be anything of any color, it doesn't really matter. What it really needs is a good bump texture (like in your blend, more wrinkled part, less wrinkled part, sole probably should have a surface of its own etc). Just in case someone might try this, I attach the UV map for the boot (they are mirrored so the map is the same for both boots). It's not simple, there are a lot of islands, but should be doable. Or maybe someone would reunwrap the object and make the map not quite so crazy.
uvlayout.png
learning

Postby Sculletto » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:24 pm

@learning: thanks for you efforts. I checked that out, but I don't find it that nice. Maybe you should apply the Subsurf modifier before feeding into MakeClothes?
Sculletto

Postby learning » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Sculletto wrote:@learning: thanks for you efforts. I checked that out, but I don't find it that nice. Maybe you should apply the Subsurf modifier before feeding into MakeClothes?

Then it would have made the mesh much more complex and significantly slow MH down. Also, the texturing would also be much more difficult. It is better to add subsurface onto the models after importing them into blender. At least for now when the model is very much WIP. Maybe after the texture and everything is final we can make a non-rough variant out of the box.
learning

Postby learning » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:34 am

So, I've managed to recreate your uniform as MH asset. Rather than using the old MH jeans and shirt (which I'm not sure I even have in editable format), I've created the new piece of clothing out of MakeClothes tights. The resulting clothing looks rather close to the original, and the mesh is rather fine. Here I attach the version of the asset with black pants, red shirt, white belt and gray/silver bracers, but of course you can recolor it in any way you want by changing the colors of corresponding pieces of texture separated by thin blue lines.
starship_uniform.7z
(88.79 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

Anything more complex than changing color however would be hell, because the UV map is completely wild. I have no idea why blender always does such complicated UV maps and I have no idea as to how to make them decent. Can anyone please show me how it's done using the uniform asset as the example?
learning

Postby learning » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:30 am

So, I think I finally figured out how to make UV maps. I've remade the uniform with a cleaner mesh and a decent UV map too.
starship_uniform.7z
(157.25 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

I've started on bump map too, but this will take some time to figure out. Right now I have no idea how those are supposed to work and if mine works at all.

The diffuse texture, on the other hand, is much more manageable. Using it I've even made a quick and dirty variant loosely based on Star Trek uniform:
Screenshot_2016-01-04_03-13-16.png

Of course, I've based the overall design on one season of the show, while the emblem I've included belongs to another, so now I'm going to get murdered by a mob of angry Star Trek geeks. Woe is me :cry:

By the way, would you mind is I created an entry in user contributed asset database for the boots and the uniform? I think even though it's WIP, it's still more handy to host it there than on the forum.
learning

Postby joepal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 am

If there is interest, I could open a public git repo for asset wip, and give anyone who asks here commit access. That way you'd get version control too.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Next

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)