Using Pixie with MH

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Using Pixie with MH

Postby Shaba1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:27 pm

I have MH 9.0,9.1RC and 1.0Alpha 3 All installed on my windows XpSP2 machine. As you can see I like the program. I have been using it since Mario first wrote the MakeHead python script years ago.

My many interest in CGI/3D is animation and real time applications. I do not do static renders at all except to preview what I am making from blender. I use blender's F12 button for that. To me life has motion and a static picture just does nothing for me.

In any case I downloaded and installed MH 1.0Alpha3 just because I was excited about the hair feature. I have been waiting for hair and low poly export for MH for years. I read the release notes and to me it seemed that the hair feature would only work on the static render of the figure. So I installed pixie to the same directory that I have MH Alpha 3 installed in. But in its own folder separate from Alpha 3. I then searched for directions on how to run pixie. Seems I had to make a PIXIEHOME env variable. I checked and it seems that the Windows installer of pixie did that for me. So now to render and MH figure.

I found the renderman_output folder in the main MH folder. I went to a command line box and CD to that folder then ran "rndr.exe base.obj.rib" I ended up getting and error of the type "Bad Scope for RiCurves"
OK so I tired it on "hairs.rib" I got the same error.

OK so I moved back to MH 9.0 and tried to export one of my already made and used meshes. I got "r.exe base.obj.rib
Bad scope for "RiSubdivisionMesh"

Can someone please give me DETAILED STEP BY STEP instructions on how to use the pixie renderer on a MH figure.

BTW just as and aside. I skimmed the alpha1.0 documentation page. I fully intend to go back and read it in detail. In fact I actually have saved it to my HD as a pdf file so that I can print it out in hard copy soon. BUT it needs LOT an LOTS more screen shots. Going back and forth between the MH interface and the docs page is tedious and counter productive. As the old saying goes. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Shaba1

Re: Using Pixie with MH

Postby Manuel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Shaba1. Well I remember you since early MH :-)
If Pixie is correctly installed, just press the Pixie button to render the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymS7jyVTaU

Best Regards,

Manuel

PS:: MakeHead was written by me, not Mario :-)
Manuel

Postby Shaba1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Manuel wrote:Hi Shaba1. Well I remember you since early MH :-)
If Pixie is correctly installed, just press the Pixie button to render the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymS7jyVTaU

Best Regards,

Manuel

PS:: MakeHead was written by me, not Mario :-)

Sorry about that Manual. That is what I mean. Manual not Mario. Just got the names confused. Ok back to my original question
how do I tell if its correctly installed
when I push that "P" button nothing seems to happen. I know pixie is installed and I know the env variable is there. It just seems that nothing seems to happen. Obtw I watched that video on youtube as well as the one on alpha1 But I cannot seem to find the tabs that the person in that video had on the right hand side of the screen.
Shaba1

Postby Shaba1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Ok I found the pixie button and got a *.tif file to render on screen. The problem is that when I try to view the two tif files that are created in Irfanview, my default picture viewer, they both come put black only. I would like to be able to save the render as a .jpg file. But even if I cannot save it as a .jpg file I would like to be able to get the actual figure in the tif. So that I can convert it.

The second thing is that I apply the ethinic features. I am using central afro. But neither the onscreen figure changes not does the pixie render. Am I doing somthing wrong or are all the ethnic features not implemented yet?
Shaba1

Postby mflerackers » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:42 am

So you opened the Africa map and clicked on the Central African figure? How many times did you press it? As it takes 10 clicks to get a full ethnic, we are working on a better interface for that.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby Shaba1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 am

mflerackers wrote:So you opened the Africa map and clicked on the Central African figure? How many times did you press it? As it takes 10 clicks to get a full ethnic, we are working on a better interface for that.

Sorry for the double post. Ok I thought that was the purpose of the plus and minus symbols to the right. I will go back in and keep clicking central afro until something changes.
Shaba1

Postby Manuel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 am

Shaba1 wrote:Ok I found the pixie button and got a *.tif file to render on screen. The problem is that when I try to view the two tif files that are created in Irfanview, my default picture viewer, they both come put black only. I would like to be able to save the render as a .jpg file. But even if I cannot save it as a .jpg file I would like to be able to get the actual figure in the tif. So that I can convert it.

The output is called renderingPixie.tif and it's placed in makehuman root, not in renderman_output.
Regards,

Manuel

PS:: Note that Pixie support is not complete, because Pixie is bugged in some important features used by MH shader.
Use Aqsis instead, even if more slow.
Manuel

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests