Proxies missing after "download_assets.py"

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Proxies missing after "download_assets.py"

Postby wolgade » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Using the mercurial version of MH I regularly run "download_assets.py". After doing so today the genitalia proxies (male and female) got deleted. Is there a reason for kicking them out of the repo?
wolgade

Re: Proxies missing after "download_assets.py"

Postby userpay » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:03 am

New to MakeHuman and I downloaded the nightly build just today. The genitals also seem to be missing in mine.

edit: Windows built fyi
userpay

Postby joepal » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:38 am

Ok, I don't get any answer on whether this is intentional or not, and I don't want to edit the main repo to rollback what someone else did.

For now, I've instead created an "attic" dir on tuxfamily: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/assets-attic/

Here I've restored the missing proxies and zipped them. If you unzip this file in your user-specific makehuman directory (for example on windows "MY DOCUMENTS"\makehuman\v1\data\proxymeshes) rather than in the makehuman installation directory, they will remain across reinstalls of the nightly.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby userpay » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Actually looking through more things there appears to be a number of things missing in clothing and hair as well.
userpay

Postby joepal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:13 am

That some pieces of clothing have been replaced with others is not necessarily an error. I don't have a good overview of what changed, but if you are missing something in particular, it would make sense to write a bug report at http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Joel,

I just read your comment on the other threat ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12046#p29536), but I'm going to post here because it's more related to this topic.
Yes, they [the proxies] were removed after someone got tired of a bunch of childish discussions.

Your reactions are absolutely comprehensible, but many user will regret they were removed. Did you consider the possibility to ad a separate asset pack for adults? Perhaps this could satisfy all sides.
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:06 pm

For now I've just suggested we put discarded assets (included the genitals stuff) aside somewhere so that people who are actively looking for them can find them. It isn't really my table though: Someone else takes the decisions on what assets to include in the official releases or manage otherwise. So I'll let it be at that and allow them to decide what works best.

I think part of the problem here is having to have the discussion in the first place though, that a lot of time goes to discussing and/or defending models rather than creating them. And that discussion would probably remain as long as the package is "official" in some sense.

If the user contribution repos work out well over a period over a few months, I'll consider making asset packages with staff picks of those though. And maybe open more areas with, for example, proxies. If a user wants to create a similar proxy and then be the one defending it, then problem solved. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby wolgade » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:40 am

joepal wrote:Yes, they [the proxies] were removed after someone got tired of a bunch of childish discussions.

I was really hoping that the proxies vanished by mistake or a technical malfunction. Now the worst explanation I could have thought of is true. This is very bad news. Why?

• MH wants to provide an anatomically correct model of the human body. Humans have genitals and there's nothing wrong or sinful about this fact.
  • Every version of MH before v1.0 (old mesh) contained genitals. A mesh without genitals is just a convenience option for dressed characters.
  • Manuel spent a lot of time creating the proxies.
  • He spent even more time fixing glitches or inaccuracies.
  • If an artist decides to discard his work he spent so much time on, he must be really fed up.

Congratulations! Go on this way if you want to loose an artist. Wouldn't be the first time in history of Open Source, but it's always sad when it happens.
wolgade

Postby jahendrie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:16 am

Can't help but agree. Removal of genitalia should also arrive with the removal of terms such as 'realistic' from the front page of makehuman.org.

Additionally, that tuxfamily link is a 404.
jahendrie

Postby a.g. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:12 am

About the only legitimate reason I see is having a 'child-friendly' default download, and for that you just need to make these same proxies an optional package, whether on the official site or community one. If you want to be really paranoid, you can even put it behind one of those 'confirm you are 18+' pages.
a.g.

Next

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests