UI Requests

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

UI Requests

Postby Tixus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm going to preface this by stating that I have significant vision impairment, so if some of these requests don't sound like they make sense for the typical user, just remember where they're coming from.

Side-by-side menus: instead of having the two menus on the left and right sides of the screen, would it be possible to have them both on the left? For me this makes sesne because I don't like having to scroll to one side of the screen to select something like Forehead, head shape, etc. and then go all the way to the other to adjust parameters--too much back and forth. The result would be that the viewing space wouldn't be centered as it is now, but that's not of concern to me.

Keyboard entry for sliders: If I want to see how a parameter morph makes the model look, I'll slide one to the right or left--but I can never get it perfectly centered again after that. Undoing is fine in the short-term, but If I've gone several steps into the process of making a character and want to zero a change I made earlier there isn't an easy solution (that I know of).

A change to how mouse controls are set up: Not sure if I'm just a dummy on this one, but I wanted to switch the right and left mouse button functions in the settings. The problem is, I only have three mouse buttons, and if I wanted to change left to right, it tells me "You can't do that, that button's already in use fool!!!" I could probably do this myself in a config file or something, but this suggestion's more for everyone else.

Option to lock scrolling when moving the camera with the mouse: I use the middle mouse button for moving, and the wheel for scrolling. Yet it seems like sometimes when I'm panning the camera, it also likes to zoom in and out at the same time. Seems like there should be a way for only one type of movement to occur at a time. Set a flag whenever a certain movement type is being used, and then don't allow any of the other control actions to take place if all of the flags aren't cleared--just off the top of my head.

It's possible that some of these things have been addressed already in one of the nightly builds--if so, then I apologize. This is also based on having used the program for less than an hour. Finally, though I've never formally worked with python before, I have experience with other scripting languages and GUI design. If some of these features seem like too much trouble for what it's wroth, but you know how to go about implementing them, let me know and I'll see if I have any time in my busy schedule to look into it.
Tixus

Re: UI Requests

Postby RobBaer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Tixus wrote:Keyboard entry for sliders: If I want to see how a parameter morph makes the model look, I'll slide one to the right or left--but I can never get it perfectly centered again after that. Undoing is fine in the short-term, but If I've gone several steps into the process of making a character and want to zero a change I made earlier there isn't an easy solution (that I know of).

To return any slider to its default position, simply right click in the center of the slider.

Tixus wrote:A change to how mouse controls are set up: Not sure if I'm just a dummy on this one, but I wanted to switch the right and left mouse button functions in the settings.

The simplest work around is to temporarily change the left button action to shift-right (hold down shift and right click), then change the right mouse button to left, then change the shift-right button to right. It's an extra step but saves direct editing of settings.ini

Tixus wrote:Option to lock scrolling when moving the camera with the mouse: I use the middle mouse button for moving, and the wheel for scrolling. Yet it seems like sometimes when I'm panning the camera, it also likes to zoom in and out at the same time. Seems like there should be a way for only one type of movement to occur at a time. Set a flag whenever a certain movement type is being used, and then don't allow any of the other control actions to take place if all of the flags aren't cleared--just off the top of my head.

Perhaps this short tutorial will help you understand the camera better:
https://vimeo.com/89290170
RobBaer

Postby Tixus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks for a video tutorial. That did cover the zeroing concern I had. My issue with the mouse camera control isn't that I don't understand it, it's that when I hold my mouse button down for repositioning, it also automatically zooms at the same time. It's very likely a hardware problem now that I think it over. My mousewheel has this discrete and continuous toggle button that I never use. When I zoom with the wheel, it does so in distinct intervals, but when I hold it down--that continuous functionality probably sends a signal because it thinks I'm moving the wheel very slightly (Solution = new mouse =\). The thing is, I've never noticed that type of problem when working in Max, which leads me to believe they have it set up so that only one type of movement is possible at a time.

(Also thanks for the quick workaround. I didn't know I could use keyboard+mouse combos in the settings).
Tixus

Postby duststorm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 am

I must say I had not considered such combinations or input devices yet when designing the controls. This is the first time I hear about it.

I made a ticket on the tracker for the mouse settings.

As for the panels on one side: interesting point. It would take a bit of time to implement though, but I'll keep it in mind.
The slider input has been requested often, I believe there is a ticket for it. The problem is that people most likely will be expecting real-world units as inputs instead of a floating point number between 0 and 1, which makes this task a whole lot more difficult.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to User contributions