Tutorial: MH 1.1.0 to SL/Opensim

A place for unofficial tutorials posted by MH users

Moderator: joepal

Tutorial: MH 1.1.0 to SL/Opensim

Postby Bo Orsini » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 am

Download the latest Nightly Build Unstable HERE and make sure that it runs. Load your model and update all geometries used for that model, and also choose the topology that fits best to your model, depending on the use. If you choose the Opensim skeleton under Pose/Animate plus the t-pose, you already have a good basic T-posed model, ready to export as collada/.dae to use in Blender (Thanks to Manuel for fixing the eyes recently). Just make sure you export to Collada with Feet on Ground Enabled and Z Up, Face X. Also select METERS, not decimeter.

Import that model in Blender.

Don't touch anything (keep all selected like it was - all geometries aka meshes should be selected INCLUDING the Armature) and export it as collada again. Use the preset Opensim/SL RIGGED during the export - normally this will be seen in an options window on the left, depending on your layout:

export_prefs_collada.png

And these options are showing after you chose the RIGGED preset:

export_prefs_collada_2.png

Save it under a diff name and upload that .dae to SL/Opensim.

This is the new and simple way when you use an unstable nightly build. So... I suggest to install that to start experimenting. If you need a better rigged avatar, have patience or... try to edit the armature yourself. Just update - aka APPLY - your entire selection in object mode when you do.

Q: Want to upload clothing from MH that you exported along with your model?
A: Export them separately as collada including the armature in Blender and upload them in SL with Joints disabled! The Body itself should be uploaded with Joints enabled. All other body parts can be uploaded separately too of course.
Q: Noticed hidden parts under the clothing?
A: Disable 'Hide faces under clothes' in MH 1.1.0 under Geometries.
Q: See alpha's in SL on the skin you uploaded?
A: Make sure it's a 24bit TGA skin without any alpha.
Q: OMG, what happened to all the faces on my SL body?
A: Hmm yes, a Material thingy that is currently under investigation, probably a collada export bug.
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Re: Tutorial: MH 1.1.0 to SL/Opensim

Postby joepal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks, Bo. Keep up the good work. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Déesse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 pm

It's indeed possible to edit parts in blender without damage. I also tried the avastar-transfertool, but it doesn't make any difference to shoulder and neck. The new avatar looks nice! (But I have to admit that the best MakeHuman-Version ever for SL and Opensim has been Alpha7!)

MH1-1b.jpg
Déesse

Postby Bo Orsini » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Déesse wrote:It's indeed possible to edit parts in blender without damage. I also tried the avastar-transfertool, but it doesn't make any difference to shoulder and neck. The new avatar looks nice! (But I have to admit that the best MakeHuman-Version ever for SL and Opensim has been Alpha7!)
MH1-1b.jpg

Thumbs up!

I wouldn't want to say that Alpha7 was the best version ever though. It did skip the blender step yes. But that topology and weighting was less sufficient in comparison to the newest topo and weighting from 1+. Still, I see lots of progress by the dev team! Sooner or later we don't need Blender anymore. Unless you want to create more faces in SL (Materials) and cut your body in several parts to bypass the maximum of 8 materials per Mesh Object/Model. ;)

Thanks, Bo. Keep up the good work. :-)

You're welcome joepal! Just trying to help making it compatible for people who have zero experience with Blender. :mrgreen:
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby Manuel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 am

Hi Bo. I repost this here in order to be sure that you notice it:
Today I uploaded on tuxfamily a modifed version of the skeleton that fix the difference in collars reported in this image:
download/file.php?id=2193&mode=view
Hopefully the new rig should fix this problem:
http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/attachm ... mhtest.jpg
The reference issue is:
http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/issues/626

The modfied rig will be in the next nightly build, but if you want to try it on the fly, you can download it directly from:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... ensim.json
Manuel

Postby Bo Orsini » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:12 am

Manuel wrote:Hi Bo. I repost this here in order to be sure that you notice it:
Today I uploaded on tuxfamily a modifed version of the skeleton that fix the difference in collars reported in this image:
download/file.php?id=2193&mode=view
Hopefully the new rig should fix this problem:
http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/attachm ... mhtest.jpg
The reference issue is:
http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/issues/626

The modfied rig will be in the next nightly build, but if you want to try it on the fly, you can download it directly from:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... ensim.json

Manuel, maybe this screenshot will help. I'm not talking about positions of the bones nor joints (but thanks for the update!), I only want to show the rotation issue from the joints. They all seem to point in the Y direction when exported with MH directly as collada (feet on ground, Z up - Face X, Meters). Blender eventually rotates the joints and bones perfectly. I just wonder where it goes wrong when exporting directly from MH. ;)

SL_compared.png

PS; this was the exact same model from MH. I only used Blender to import and export the green one.
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby Manuel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:21 am

That's very odd...the rotation of the bones is obtained by the coordinates of head and tail of each bone, and these seems to be ok (because when you see them in Blender, they are in the expected places). Perhaps the roll angle is different, but it should be noticeable only during animation, eventually, and should never affect the result of the rest pose.
Do this is an enigma to solve.

Anyway, is the new shoulder joint position better than the old one?
Manuel

Postby Bo Orsini » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 am

Manuel wrote:That's very odd...the rotation of the bones is obtained by the coordinates of head and tail of each bone, and these seems to be ok (because when you see them in Blender, they are in the expected places). Perhaps the roll angle is different, but it should be noticeable only during animation, eventually, and should never affect the result of the rest pose.

So, it could be a roll angle difference? Does that mean you may only have to add a 'leaf bone' fix to the MH collada exporter like Blender has?
Will let you know later today about the shoulders. Need to go to work soon. ;)
Bo Orsini (SL)
Bo Orsini

Postby Manuel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:05 am

Bo Orsini wrote:
Manuel wrote:That's very odd...the rotation of the bones is obtained by the coordinates of head and tail of each bone, and these seems to be ok (because when you see them in Blender, they are in the expected places). Perhaps the roll angle is different, but it should be noticeable only during animation, eventually, and should never affect the result of the rest pose.

So, it could be a roll angle difference? Does that mean you may only have to add a 'leaf bone' fix to the MH collada exporter like Blender has?
Will let you know later today about the shoulders. Need to go to work soon. ;)

Roll angles are the rotations around the axis tail-head. They are usually recalculated by importers, so they are secondary as importance.
In any case they don't affect the rest pose, but the animation/custom pose, because when a bone starts to rotate (so when the bone is going to leave his rest position) it can go in a wrong direction due a wrong roll angle.

Looking at your image it seems that the problem happens in the rest pose...so I guess it's not matter of roll angles.
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 am

Does that mean that everything else is fixed now?
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Next

Return to Tutorials