wanna share hairs and cloths ?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: wanna share hairs and cloths ?

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:40 pm

brkurt wrote:If you want to create your own clothes quickly, I would suggest downloading the trial version of Marvelous Designer

Do you know if Marvelous Designer will run under Wine? Last I saw MD was just for Winbloze.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby brkurt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:23 pm

SaltyCowdawg wrote:
brkurt wrote:If you want to create your own clothes quickly, I would suggest downloading the trial version of Marvelous Designer

Do you know if Marvelous Designer will run under Wine? Last I saw MD was just for Winbloze.

I haven't tried it---my IT guy gave me a half-decend Win 7 workstation to use--but I'm thinking probably not. The reason would be the implementation of OpenGL.
MD can crash various versions of Windows, and they only guarantee smooth performance on a 4 Gig Nvidia card with the latest drivers. :shock:
brkurt

Postby learning » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:26 pm

brkurt wrote:
learning wrote:Hate to reanimate this thread, but scarcity of clothing is still one of the biggest detriments of MH. Any ideas as to where one can obtain new clothes?

Are you planning clothing for personal or professional uses? If professional, then you have to demonstrate that you created every aspect--right down to the lines on paper--of your garment. It won't matter if you are using OptiTex or Blender (commercial or open-source); once you decide to sell your creation you will need an audit trail. ;)

If you want to create your own clothes quickly, I would suggest downloading the trial version of Marvelous Designer; you can use the projects I have left on the WIP section of the forum to get started. :)

Nah, I'm not selling anything. I'm ideologically opposed to idea of selling bytes. I'm thinking more in a way of making a lot of different .mhclo files for everyone to use for their own needs with MH, and licensing them like CC0 or WTFPL or whatever else is the least restrictive. Maybe even make a separate site for exchanging clothes. That would require a lot of cooperation from different artists though, obviously.
learning

Postby joepal » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:41 am

It should be noted that the MH crew isn't ideologically against libraries with contributed material, nor against selling/trading assets (we have even gone to some lengths to ensure that it's possible to go commercial with MH toons).

We just don't provide the function ourselves because we don't have the muscles to handle a case where copyright protected material would end up on our servers and a legal dispute could happen.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby learning » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Your servers are in Sweden though, aren't they? Sweden is known to have the least idiotic copyright laws iirc, they even tolerated TPB for long time.
learning

Postby joepal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 am

learning wrote:Your servers are in Sweden though, aren't they? Sweden is known to have the least idiotic copyright laws iirc, they even tolerated TPB for long time.

Yeah, we could probably get away with quite a lot for a long time. That doesn't mean we have resources to engage in it though. I'm not particularly worried that we'd run into anything particularly dangerous when/if we set up such a site, but it might still be quite a nuisance.

This is not something definite that is going to remain true for all overseeable future: It's just a judgement call that right now energy could be spent better than trying to moderate user contributions and answer copyright claims.

I for one would support a third part initiative for creating such a site as a next best alternative. As long as the site owners are able to ensure that licenses are followed and that understandable separation is made between MH official and user contributions, I only see benefits with such an asset sharing area.

A side note: Eventually the pirate bay guys got locked up in prison and were fined some six million us$, which they don't have any theoretical ability whatsoever to pay during their lifetimes. One of the members (who was formally convicted of aiding and abetting copyright infringement) was placed in a high security prison and had to endure special restrictions usually intended for the most dangerous criminals.

This said, the TPB legal correspondence is well worth a read: http://indianfusion.aglasem.com/50408/h ... make-rolf/

Favorite quote: "It is the opinion of us and our lawyers that you are morons, and that you should please go sodomize yourself with retractable batons."
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby learning » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:08 pm

I'd like to take part in setting up such a site and fighting off potential copyright trolls if needed be. Anyone else interested?
learning

Postby joepal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:29 am

learning wrote:I'd like to take part in setting up such a site and fighting off potential copyright trolls if needed be. Anyone else interested?

Well, as said, I applaud such an initiative. :-)

PM me if you want some hints about formats and license quirks.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby duststorm » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:43 pm

MD is released on OSX as well, and from what I've seen, there is a linux beta version going around.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:59 pm

learning wrote:I'd like to take part in setting up such a site and fighting off potential copyright trolls if needed be. Anyone else interested?

I have some hardware it could go on but right now I don't have the spare cycles it would take to set up a web environment to do what is necessary to support this effort. I've wanted to but I haven't even had much time to do any Blender work, write stories or anything lately.

Any web programmers out there willing to take a crack at doing the web portions? Could this be hosted by something off the shelf? Maybe WordPress?
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions