MakeHuman and OpenSim

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman and OpenSim

Postby Déesse » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Dear Developpers!

Please please change the SecondLife/OpenSim-Rig from 19 to 23 bones in the current official download-version of MakeHuman! And maybe it's possible to get a special topic for MakeHuman and OpenSim (SecondLife)? Many users are interested in creating avatars with MakeHuman and we can collect tutorials and textures.

The video, avatar made with version 1.0.02, the problems of the left arm and hand are problems of the animation. http://youtu.be/qukjAAN12C8

MakeHuman01b.jpg
Déesse

Re: MakeHuman and OpenSim

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 am

We are updating the rigs for v1.1
A secondlife skeleton that is acually compatible with sl is one of the things to put on the todo list, indeed.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:53 am

Do you confirm me these are the four skeletons listed here?
http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/issues/481
Manuel

Postby Déesse » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Sorry, when I caused some confusion ...
in the meantime I made some tests, and this is what I found out, related to Version 1.0.2:

1. The rig called 'Secondlife.json' (fitted mesh?) works fine. The Avatars for the second video are made with this rig.
2. The other SecondLife-Rig with 19 bones does not work. The one with the 23 bones in the 1.0.0 (the previous version) was okay.
3. I found no difference between female and male skeletons, those that are listed under 1. and 2. don't cause any trouble after the upload and changing from female to male shape.

MakeHuman and OpenSim: more avatars: http://youtu.be/IzSS0lucwDM
Déesse

Postby Déesse » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 am

More tests. The photo is showing left the Makehuman-avatar (placed like an .obj) wearing a rigged dress (with the original SL-bones, no makehuman import). The dress is now linked to the body.
In the right photo the "person" is wearing exactly this avatar, and you see what is happening: the 2 skeletons do not match ...

My suggestion/hope/wish/dream: to get those two skeletons congruent :)

Would you (or anyone else) like to test yourself? If so, I would prepare a Sim-on-a-Stick for you, means no installation, only unzip on an USB-stick or any other folder, no costs for uploads (short manual included).

test-rig3.jpg
Déesse

Postby Manuel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 pm

What is a Sim-on-a ?
Manuel

Postby Déesse » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:00 pm

"SecondLife" is the Online-World by Lindenlab, I think you used it before.

"OpenSim" (Open Simulator) is almost the same, but opensource. You can have your simulation online (you can have visitors or "hypergrid" to visit other worlds) and offline.

"Sim-on-a-Stick" is almost the same as OpenSim, but completely independent because no installation is needed (but I have to admit that it is not as fast as located on a harddrive)

The difference to SecondLife is that you have access to the console, any upload is free, you can work offline ( important for schools and universities) and more.

You can use the simulation in many ways and for many purposes:
- simulate architecture
- present art
- creating filmsets and even illustrations
- applied science, e.g. learn mathematics by creating
- learning languages (e.g. when you have your simulation online and german and italian students build together and exchange their expieriences :D
- a friend of mine teaches children who are not able to move like the others, they get a feeling of freedom ...
- and and and

Crista Lopes is one of the main developers http://metaverseink.com/blog/

I forgot to mention that my sim-zip only works on windows.
Déesse

Postby Manuel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Thank you for the clear explanation.
I work OpenSuse only, but I'll ask if one of the other developers is interested in try the portable version.
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:37 pm

A quick way to test exports in opensim would surely be helpful
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Déesse » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:10 pm

I'm just preparing a special version, but it takes some time, because it seems to be useful to add some help for newbies :)
Déesse

Next

Return to User contributions