Second Life [and other VW] compatability

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Second Life [and other VW] compatability

Postby Miltades » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:38 am

I have used make human on and off over the last few years, as I have second life, though probably more permanently.

Given the introduction of mesh into second life and the ability to create an avatar, rig it for and import it into second life.
It baffled me that there is no texture compatibility.

There are all kinds of mesh bits and pieces in second life, heads, hands, feet. And whilst I have seen/found an option that lets you make, makehuman textures work with SL avatars, in blender.
It's hard, especially for those people changing things up in the mesh and make a body or, peices of a body 100% compatible with other second life parts.

I beg of you, please can you have a second life, opensim, inworldz etc etc compatible option for textures?
So that people can just lay textures they already have onto the mesh once imported?

Pretty Please?
Miltades

Re: Second Life [and other VW] compatability

Postby duststorm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:31 am

Miltades wrote:It baffled me that there is no texture compatibility.

How did you come to that conclusion?
Go to the Materials > Skin tab and select a different material, and you will have a texture.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am

Hi Militades,
Can you better explain what do you mean with "texture compatibility"?
Manuel

Postby Miltades » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 am

Manuel wrote:

Hi Militades,
Can you better explain what do you mean with "texture compatibility"?

Hi Manuel,

MakeHuman doesn't support SecondLife UV maps. I am unable to put my second life skin template, onto my MakeHuman model. They are incompatible.
Miltades

Postby Manuel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 am

Miltades wrote:
Hi Manuel,

MakeHuman doesn't support SecondLife UV maps. I am unable to put my second life skin template, onto my MakeHuman model. They are incompatible.

Ah...do you want to use SL standard textures on MakeHuman characters? It's a nice idea....but...

In theory it's simple to provide an alternative topology that support them, but in practice I don't know if it involves copyright problems.
It can happen that SL want the exclusivity of UV and texture...I don't know about this.

Unfortunately atm in the team we don't have any SL expert/user that can help/investigate about it.
Perhaps the MH community can help us?
To proceed in this kind of legal thing, we need an official documentation (not, for example, a simple reply in a forum) that says what can be and can not be done...
Manuel

Postby Miltades » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 am

Manuel wrote:
Miltades wrote:
Hi Manuel,

Ah...do you want to use SL standard textures on MakeHuman characters? It's a nice idea....but...

In theory it's simple to provide an alternative topology that support them, but in practice I don't know if it involves copyright problems.
It can happen that SL want the exclusivity of UV and texture...I don't know about this.

Unfortunately atm in the team we don't have any SL expert/user that can help/investigate about it.
Perhaps the MH community can help us?
To proceed in this kind of legal thing, we need an official documentation (not, for example, a simple reply in a forum) that says what can be and can not be done...

Here is a link to the relevant section in the ToS for Second Life : http://lindenlab.com/tos#tos2

There is nothing in there mentioning UV maps, which is the only legal thing that might have been an issue. Second Life is open source and Linden Labs don't actually own the UV map or texture templates as they are used in various other virtual worlds.

So, in short, no there are no copyright problems in making a compatible model for open source things. Which is what the UV map used in Second Life, OpenSim and InWorldz is.
Miltades

Postby Manuel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:31 am

Very interesting.
Where can we download the templates?
Manuel

Postby Miltades » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 am

Manuel wrote:Very interesting.
Where can we download the templates?

Hi again!

They can be downloaded from a umber of places, however I find this the best location : https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Techn ... lates.html

They offer a vector option so that you dont need to worry about pixelation. You will only need the 'head','top','bottom'.
Miltades

Postby Miltades » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 am

I also thought these might help, seeing what the actual textures can look like once shaded. [again open source and totally useable]

http://vaneeesab.wordpress.com/2010/07/ ... -vaneeesa/
Miltades

Postby Manuel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 am

Thank you.
But if possible, I prefer to download the model from an official place, with a clear license file directly tied to it.
I'm noticing a lot of confusion in SL. For example, in the link you posted above, the guy says:

Linden Lab has provided us with Templates and Models to help us make Skins and Clothing for our Avatars.
However, I've found that the "templates" leave several things to be desired. They aren't set up for accurate matching across the UV Seams, and it's difficult to "find your place" when working with them.
The original idea to subdivide the Avatar models came from Chip Midnight's excellent templates. However, without meaning to denigrate them, they still weren't really what I wanted, so I made my own.

So as I understand, the template in his page is different from the official one..or am I wrong?

Sorry for being so formal and bureaucrat, but when we talk about the decision to support a commercial software, we must be 100% sure that all is perfectly allowed.

Assuming we will find the official model and license, we will have to solve another issue: MakeHuman output is released under the most permissive, liberal and open license: CC0.
So, if you create a SL character in MH and export it, due our license, it will be automatically released under CC0.
For this reason we must hope that the mesh license is compatible with CC0.
If not, we should create an our own mesh, with different topology, but UV compatible, to be used as proxy.
This is possible, but will require more time...
Manuel

Next

Return to User contributions