character for movie - my first rigging - help?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

character for movie - my first rigging - help?

Postby EagleBZ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I've created a character for use in a movie i'm thinking of doing, and I'm trying to rig it for export as *.OBJ so I could import it into 3DS Max (that is, after first importing into Marvelous Designer 2 and adding clothing) so I could animate it for this movie, so I tried this a moment ago, I tried using MH's muscles presets for my rigging in this model so what I'm really asking is, if I export this model as OBJ to import into Marvelous Designer for clothing, then export from MD as OBJ and then import into 3DS Max, ok, how do I make sure that this skeleton I've rigged (see, this is new to me, I've never, ever did this sort of thing before but am willing to learn) into this model stays/sticks with the model's body during the entire export/import process thru several of these modeling/designing programs so that the rigging remains intact for full animation once I import this model/its clothing into 3DS Max?

thanks in advance.
Attachments
capture_02262014_121119.jpg
I tried using this rig (Make Human's muscles rigging presets) using MH niteline
EagleBZ

Re: character for movie - my first rigging - help?

Postby duststorm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

EagleBZ wrote:I'm trying to rig it for export as *.OBJ so I could import it into 3DS Max

The OBJ wavefront format does not support rigs. So you will only get static geometry from that. (the advantage of OBJ is that it is very easily imported in almost any tool)

Use MHX, FBX, or DAE instead. Since you are working with an Autodesk product, FBX is probably the best fit. You could try DAE if that fails (Collada works in a lot of tools). MHX is for Blender only.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby SamA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:21 pm

IMO FBX is best to get from MH to Max and retain rigging. DAE does work, but it loses the smoothing groups. Be aware the neither retain materials, they are lost, but I think it's best to make new ones in Max using the MH texture maps. SSS Fast Skin+ works great with MH models.
I'm not familiar with Marvelous Designer, but if it needs OBJ for that, export both and make your clothes there and merge with the FBX import scene.
SamA

Postby EagleBZ » Sun May 11, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm trying to import my model from MH into Max, I'm following this video tut, but the model gets like this:

and I'm following this tut I found the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrFu9EpG48

and I'm following this tut faithfully. Why is my character model getting "bizarrely messed up" upon import, (I have the FBX import animation box checkmarked in the dialog box) and how do I fix this?

I have the model rigged as IKhuman for Maya, exported as *.dae then upon import to max, I select it as .dae switch to the FBX import format box in max, ect.
Attachments
capture_05112014_163558.jpg
model looks like it got messed up like crazy.
EagleBZ

Postby duststorm » Sun May 11, 2014 10:44 pm

I would use FBX, not collada (DAE).
That tutorial is for an ancient version of MakeHuman, by the way.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby EagleBZ » Thu May 15, 2014 2:59 am

duststorm wrote:I would use FBX, not collada (DAE).
That tutorial is for an ancient version of MakeHuman, by the way.

I tried this just now (after exporting to FBX in MH, that is) but max crashed. Says "an error has occurred and the application will now close. No scene changes
have happened since your last save" and this is while its creating the objects. This is new rigged model (again, used IKhuman Maya) rigging) a potbellied guy that's supposed to be a cop in this movie. this error happens part way as Max is building the objects, before its finished.

I wonder if Max keeps crashing b/c of the kind (Ikhuman) rigging and maybe I should use another kind of rigging, but what kind should I use?

EDIT - I tried exporting it as BVH, same Max error, exported as blender exchange. it imported into blender like this:

then exported from blender as 3DS, tried importing into max it only seems to import of a single cube. What gives?

also why is my model looking like this in blender?

how do I fix all this?
Attachments
capture_05142014_231714.jpg
EagleBZ

Return to User contributions