Numeric values on sliders; Slider end-colors for clarity....

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Numeric values on sliders; Slider end-colors for clarity....

Postby nijineko » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:23 am

I have been playing with makehuman for a few months now, and I have two usability requests:

1) Please place a numeric value field on or near the controls, such that the value will change with the slider, or the value can be set in the numeric field, and the slider will adjust. When attempting to make siblings and family members, it would be very valuable to be able to have precisely duplicatable settings on the controls. As it is now, each slider must be approximated. I suggest 0 for the neutral-middle position, negative for the left, and positive for the right.

2) Despite playing with it for a while, I still occasionally get confused as to which way to move the slider to get which effect. It would be nice if a small narrow vertical band of color was placed at both ends of each slider control. Make one end yellow, and the other end orange. That would not only visually display the range of the slider, but also swiftly and intuitively indicate which direction to move the slider to achieve which effect.
歩き人が 道を 選ぶのか、道が 歩き人を 選ぶのでしょうか?
nijineko

Re: Numeric values on sliders; Slider end-colors for clarity

Postby rfairhurst » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:08 am

I agree that the colors would help. I think that the sliders are inconsistent as far as which side is yellow and which is orange and putting the colors on the slider should promote standardizing the behaviors. The number input/display would also be a welcome addition.
rfairhurst

Postby duststorm » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:39 pm

We'll have to experiment with designs when Manuel continues working on the slider icons.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby nijineko » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 pm

And the numeric values request? A possibility?
nijineko

Postby duststorm » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:41 am

nijineko wrote:And the numeric values request? A possibility?

Yeah, I believe it is somewhere as feature request on the issue tracker as well.
We will most likely add a setting to add input boxes to sliders. No ETA on it, though. It will also not be possible to enter values beyond what the slider allows you to set.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby nijineko » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:02 pm

duststorm wrote:
nijineko wrote:And the numeric values request? A possibility?

Yeah, I believe it is somewhere as feature request on the issue tracker as well.
We will most likely add a setting to add input boxes to sliders. No ETA on it, though. It will also not be possible to enter values beyond what the slider allows you to set.

understood:

yes, but don't hold your breath.
limited by slider range of expression.

thank you. =D
nijineko

Return to User contributions