Skin Texturing Study

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Skin Texturing Study

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 pm

The two postings I am putting up this morning are what I hope will be a series of postings concerning skin materials and texturing. One of my favorite things about Blender and the Cycles rendering engine is the node system for producing textures and materials. My goal here was to produce as close to a photorealistic skin for a MH-8 model as I could. Here is the node setup that I used:
current-node-setup-version-1.png

The left most image texture is the standard MH texture.png. When creating the model I told MH8 to use a textured skin and the default texture was added in to the textures directory upon export. There is also a bump map that is exported as well and that is the image texture low center that is used.
Here is what my model looks like:

aroura-espino.png
Auroa Espino visits the beach in Fiji

This is still a work in progress and I'll keep everybody up to date with what I'm coming up with so far as a standard node setup could look like.

Goals I am trying to attain:

visible pores when zooming in close up to the model.
peach fuzz around lips, chin, arms and other places as appropriate.
variable skin tone ranging from Irish pale skin to bronzed surfer to black.

I think these can be accomplished using a single node setup with lots of mix shaders and variable shaders in all the right places.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: Skin Texturing Study

Postby SalvoSoftware » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:01 pm

(I don't know if this is the best place to post this message, so feel free to move it in another thread if you need too ;) )

I studied the new texture of the latest Nightly Build, and I realized that I don't like it so much...
Why?
In the previous version, even with no shaders, it had a nice look, but now, it seems too much flat, I don't know why, I watched mainly young caucasian female one, and... I don't know, maybe it's not finished yet, maybe it's still far from being it, however, I noticed some other good improvements, so... good job anyway :)
SalvoSoftware

Postby Manuel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:44 pm

SalvoSoftware wrote:(I don't know if this is the best place to post this message, so feel free to move it in another thread if you need too ;) )

I studied the new texture of the latest Nightly Build, and I realized that I don't like it so much...
Why?
In the previous version, even with no shaders, it had a nice look, but now, it seems too much flat, I don't know why, I watched mainly young caucasian female one, and... I don't know, maybe it's not finished yet, maybe it's still far from being it, however, I noticed some other good improvements, so... good job anyway :)

The old textures included a bit of precalculated shadows (and not all shadows from the photo was perfectly cleaned).
So the old texture works apparently better if the scene lights are exactly the same as the precalculated lighting and the pose is similar to the one used to precalculate the lighting.
But the best skins, for professional works, are perfectly shadowless in order that light and shadow will be added during the rendering.
New textures are the best skin.
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:53 pm

SalvoSoftware wrote:In the previous version, even with no shaders, it had a nice look, but now, it seems too much flat

As Manuel mentioned, because it is pure diffuse without lighting included. This is a good thing if you want good renders, because you can add your own lighting and shading. This was a big shortcoming of the old textures, in fact.

Sure, the old texture would look better in a simple shading setup, but for anything else than a 2 minute job the new textures are that much better. And let's be honest, who is still using fixed function gouraud shading for their rendering, except for debug visualisations perhaps?
If you basically want a photo pasted on your mesh, you can projection paint your own pictures using blender, or use the A7 compatible UV map to use the old textures. But I don't recommend it. The results with pre-lit textures are just not that good.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)