Clothes from alpha 8

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Clothes from alpha 8

Postby Ghastly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:17 pm

duststorm wrote:
Ghastly wrote:Hopefully it'll only be a matter of time before some enterprising group of people create an open source alternative to Marvelous Designer.

I doubt that. It's too specific.
But there are open source cloth simulations.

Too specific? I don't understand what you mean by that? Are there not already open source programs for specific purposes such as making humans or plants, etc? Why would an app for making clothing be more specific than the others?
Ghastly

Postby duststorm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:39 am

Ghastly wrote:Too specific? I don't understand what you mean by that? Are there not already open source programs for specific purposes such as making humans or plants, etc? Why would an app for making clothing be more specific than the others?

The potential user base is small, a niche as it were. And the software is very specific.
I think that blender clothsim or ODE or Bullet softbodies will be the closest things you will get to an open source implementation.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby brkurt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 pm

duststorm wrote:
Ghastly wrote:Too specific? I don't understand what you mean by that? Are there not already open source programs for specific purposes such as making humans or plants, etc? Why would an app for making clothing be more specific than the others?

The potential user base is small, a niche as it were. And the software is very specific.
I think that blender clothsim or ODE or Bullet softbodies will be the closest things you will get to an open source implementation.

I have to agree with Ghastly; the potential base is quite large. I don't think it is an unsolvable problem: the issue is what types of folds must follow the body and the rig in an animation. To give an example: a zig-zag fold at a bent elbow or knee will have secondary and tertiary folds, depending on the weight of the material.
An oilskin coat would need one (primary); a wool jacket would need two (secondary); a sheer silk blouse would need three (tertiary). In a normal-sized human, tertiary folds are the limit, because after that, folds branch or join other folds.

All this can be down with shape keys (morph targets) in exactly the same way the expression morph targets work.

So...the interface would give the user the choice of what fold to do where, and what degree of folding.

There are four other difficult folds: spiral; half-lock; drop; diaper. Google 'Barbara Bradley folds' for more information.
brkurt

Postby MacroManJr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:20 am

Hey, guys,

I hope nobody minds me reviving this thread a bit, but I just wanted to point you all to a nice option.

There's a few nice builds of Blender that perhaps you weren't much aware of being out there in Graphicall.org.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cOjU2Lehs

A fellow by the name of Jez Kabanoff developed a basic sewing function in Blender last year. It's basic but pretty nice. You can check out his other three Blender Sewing videos in his Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ftsf/videos

You can download one of the few builds from Graphicall.org. There are only four builds (sorry--Windows only, but he does make his code available): http://graphicall.org/?keywords=Sewing

Perhaps some of you can find it useful towards applying some clothes made in Blender (at the very least, some basic clothes). I will be using MakeHuman models as mannequins for some of my own work, so if I create some clothes and costumes, I'll make a collection of them to donate to this cause.

Hope this helps!
MacroManJr

Previous

Return to User contributions