Custom target file.

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Custom target file.

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi,

I needed to take some of the V shape out of my models torso. Just scaling the torso down with the standard, tab:torso, category:torso, slider:Scale Horiz, did not accomplish what I wanted as it maintained the V shape even until the waist got too narrow.
So, I put out a target file using the Maketarget 1.20 addon in Blender. The aim was to tone down the lats and bring in the shoulders.
The morphing worked well in Blender and HM and I can even use the negative side of the parameter range if I at some stage need to model broad shoulders and wide lats.

Shoulder-2-shoulder-in-Blender.jpg
All smooth as planned in Blender.

But, the process is not flawless. The mesh brought in to Blender via Maketaget 1.20 is not identical to the default mesh loaded when HM is started. I suspect that the 'base.obj' mesh has a few default targets applied to it when loaded into MH (like ethnicity defaults) but, I stand to be corrected. Whatever the case, 'base.obj' and 'a8_v74.obj' may be one and the same mesh but while 'a8_74.obj' is loaded unchanged into Blender, 'base.obj' is loaded with changes into MH.

This can yield unexpected results as you will see from the image I have attached below. What may look like a good target in Blender may be not so good in MH. We know that with extreme changes to the mesh things can become a little weird and perhaps then the route to take is with custom targets on already parameterized meshes (set as base) button in MT 1.20. But, for the most part it would be a good idea to keep things predictable between Blender and MH on the MH default mesh.

Shoulder-2-shoulder-in-MH.jpg
Less than smooth in MH.

What I therefore propose is that we load an 'a8_v75.obj' mesh into Blender via MT that is identical to MH's default mesh.
Hope I'm on the right track here.

BTW, if you would like the shoulder-2-shoulder target file for incorporation into MH as a standard slider just tell me where to upload it and I will oblige.
Is there a place for custom target files to be uploaded yet on the MH website? I'll go take a look.

Cheers
Rapscallion

Re: Custom target file.

Postby duststorm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:03 am

Rapscallion wrote:The mesh brought in to Blender via Maketaget 1.20 is not identical to the default mesh loaded when HM is started. I suspect that the 'base.obj' mesh has a few default targets applied to it when loaded into MH (like ethnicity defaults)

You are correct. You never see the basemesh (base.obj) in MH. The default human you see is a mix of base.obj + 1/3(african + asian + caucasian), blended at 50% male, 50% female and set at 100% young (I believe).

The basemesh itself looks pretty crude, and its only purpose, in fact, is to offer the topology to build human models upon.

There is no slider combination available in MH that lets you export the exact basemesh as defined in base.obj.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:34 am

It's an important modifier, thank you to rememeber me.
Added it in rev 5723.

To create a new target:

Create a base average target
==========================
1) In MakeTarget, load a young male and a young female of the same ethnic group. For example caucasian-female-young.target and caucasian-male-young.target. These targets are in data/targets/macrodetails.
2) Set their value to 0.5
3) Save the resulting target as "average.target"

Create your custom target
=========================
4) Start a new scene.
5) In maketarget, load the average with value 1.0
6) in maketarget -> New secondary target
7) model what do you like
8) move the value of average target to -1
9) Save the target

NOTE: You have to modify the helpers too, or your target will not work with clothes and hair.
Manuel

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Ahaa! thanks for that Manuel. I'm going to give it a go with deltoids.
I'm not too worried about clothes right now but I will do my best to remember your note.
What are the helpers? Those default clothes?
Rapscallion

Postby duststorm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Rapscallion wrote:What are the helpers? Those default clothes?

Yes. They are not intended to be used as clothes, but rather help you fit clothes to.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks duststorm.
Rapscallion

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Manuel,

I'm getting weird results the way that I am doing this.

Can you clarify for me if I have the correct button sequence?

1) Load human
2) Load Target File (navigate and select caucasian-female-young.target)
3) Load secondary target from file (navigate and select caucasian-male-young.target)
4) Set their value to 0.5
5) Save Target As (average.target)

6) Start a new scene

7) Load Human
8) Load Target File (navigate and select average.target)(value is at 1.0 by default)
9) New Secondary Target

10) Model

11) Move the value of average target to -1.0

average-to-neg1.jpg

12) Save Target As (save the target file)

The results are weird in MH when I move the slider.
Rapscallion

Postby Manuel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 am

Sorry, it was my fault.
The value of average target (step 8 in my previous description) should be 0, not -1.
Manuel

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll do it again.
Rapscallion

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Muchos Gratcias. This method works very nicely.
Rapscallion

Next

Return to User contributions