Contribution by review MH-A8-r5655

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Contribution by review MH-A8-r5655

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:00 pm

The following issues with MH-A8 r5655 (11-07-2013) on Windows XP Pro (SP3) you may or may not be aware of:

1. As with the measure tab sliders, the genitals slider on the gender tab, moves vertices in all the wrong places.

2. On the gender tab using category button breast, the slider labeled Breast, should be labeled Breast Height.

3. On the tabs Torso, Arms and Legs and Face the veiw will always revert to a side or front view (non-optionally) with a change in use from one slider to another. This is only helpful to first-time users in ramping up the learning curve as it points out to the user exactly how a particular slider will alter the model. To an intermediate or an experienced user it is an irritant. Very often I found myself clicking on sliders just to get the view-change over with, then placing the model at the point of view from which I wish to see the alterations, and only then using the slider.
As someone with 3d modeling experience I know that if I want a "close-to" left or front view (which is all I need,more often than not), I can attain it quickly via the input device (mouse or space-ball), or I can obtain an exact, by clicking on an icon or hitting a key on the keyboard. It will be courteous to retain this as an option for beginners but, don't mollycoddle beginners to the detriment of developing something that could be really cool.

4.Concerning the auto-view when changing sliders. When altering the right foot, the model is positioned at a view where the left foot is in front of it and I can not see the foot that I want to alter. Vica-versa for the left foot. The same goes for left and right ear. Likewise if I want to alter buttocks I am given a front view where I would prefer a rear view.
So, in keep the auto-view function in the software (which should be done) as an option. It will need correction.

5. Sliders L Lowerleg Scale Horizontal and R Lowerleg Scale Horizontal, both alter the left leg.
Sliders L Lowerleg Scale Vert and R Lowerleg Scale Vert, both alter the left leg.
So, rather than causing my model to limp, he still has short legs.

6. Tab-Face, button-mouth features, slider-upperlip middle, is not working.

7. Some other sliders are not operational yet either, e.g L/R Ear Wing. Imperative for elves.

8. A symmetry switch should be implemented on the edit tab.

9. MH-A7 displays a denser mesh when the wireframe and smooth buttons are simultaneously active, it would be nice if this will be the case with A8 too.

Gents, take what you need from this review and turf the rest.
Keep up the good work, I really think you are on to something good here.

Thanks.
Attachments
Elves-A7-A8-r5655.jpg
What I did while getting to know Makehuman.
Rapscallion

Re: Contribution by review MH-A8-r5655

Postby joepal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 am

Thank you for your report. Some minor parts of it (the part where verts go all over the place for some sliders) are known, and is due to targets not fully having been ported to the new mesh yet. The rest I have forwarded to the powers that be, so we can see what to do about it.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby duststorm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 am

Personally I don't like the automatic moving of the camera either.
Maybe I'll make it into a setting again so you can disable it if you want (and to avoid a holy war about whether to keep the feature or dump it).
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Point 5 fixed in rev 5669
Manuel

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks guys, it's been a pleasure.
Rapscallion

Postby Manuel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Point 6 fixed in rev. 5676
Manuel

Postby duststorm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Rapscallion wrote:Thanks guys, it's been a pleasure.

Thanks for bringing these things to our attention.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm

About the point 7.
Ear wing should be redundant with flap out.
Do you mean smoething of different?
Manuel

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Screenshot from A7.
Attachments
A7-ears.jpg
Rapscallion

Postby Manuel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Rapscallion wrote:Screenshot from A7.

Thank you.