Phonemes

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Phonemes

Postby SamA » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 pm

As well as the expressions we already have, are there any plans to include Phonemes in the library so our characters can talk?
SamA

Re: Phonemes

Postby rfairhurst » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm

SamA wrote:As well as the expressions we already have, are there any plans to include Phonemes in the library so our characters can talk?

They already exist and are called Visemes. Which version of MH are you using? They are part of the a7 release. The most current svn release is broken for Visemes, due to conversion to a new mesh being incomplete. But up to r5120 they should work.
rfairhurst

Postby SamA » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm using Alpha 7 for Windows. I can't find Visemes, where are they in the UI?
SamA

Postby rfairhurst » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 pm

SamA wrote:I'm using Alpha 7 for Windows. I can't find Visemes, where are they in the UI?

They are under the Library tab under the Visemes tab (I believe, it has been a while since I have used a7). Visemes cannot be animated within MH itself, only used as still poses. To animate them you have to export the model as an MHX export with expressions. Then bring the MHX model into Blender and use the MHX LipSync panel to pose it for each animation key frame. See the post that follows for how to set up Blender to import MHX models and access the MHX LipSync panel: http://www.makehuman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9533
rfairhurst

Postby SamA » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see a Visemes tab in Library. I just get Background, Expression, Clothes, Eyes, Skin, Hair and Proxies.
Maybe they were in another version.
SamA

Postby rfairhurst » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 pm

SamA wrote:Thanks for the reply, but I don't see a Visemes tab in Library. I just get Background, Expression, Clothes, Eyes, Skin, Hair and Proxies.
Maybe they were in another version.

They are in a7 somewhere. You will either have to keep looking for yourself, hope someone else responds today who has a7 installed, or wait for me to get off work in about 10 hours so I can download a7 and find it again.
rfairhurst

Postby rfairhurst » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Well, after searching it looks like I may be wrong and visemes may have appeared with the svn version at r3914. So if you want them, download the svn version and try it first without upgrading. If it is still not there then I will walk you through upgrading past r3914, but before r5121. In anycase, Visemes have been made part of MH at some version and if your version does not have it you must upgrade to the version that does have it, Around r4859 the Visemes were placed under the Posing/Animate tab.
rfairhurst

Postby rfairhurst » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 am

I looked at Alpha 7 and it does not seem to have Visemes. They are in svn prior to r5121. So if you want them, download svn.
rfairhurst

Postby SamA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks. I only installed the Alpha version, the message on the svn download page is a bit off-putting, suggesting instability.
I may give it a try though. I don't need these phonemes desperately for anything right now, but it's something I think will be useful.
SamA

Return to User contributions