Automatic Face genration feature

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Automatic Face genration feature

Postby Shaba1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Some what like Facehop http://www.abalonellc.com/faceshop-pro.html or Facegenhttp://www.facegen.com/ Basically they let you load a jpg or png or bmp image of a face from the front or front and profile ( the more pictures you have of the same face the more acurate the program makes the output) then you place dots where the hairline,forehead, nose bridge, eye endpoints, mouth corners, e.t.c are and the program makes a 3d mesh and uv maps the picture on to it automatically.

You can already load a background picture in makehuman and use it to adjust a model's features but if you are like me and have very little art training or lack artistic talent a program like this is a life saver. Especially with Makehuman letting you adjust the rest of the body features with Morphs.
Shaba1

Re: Automatic Face genration feature

Postby Brandy Farfan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 am

Interesting. Nice. :)
Brandy Farfan

Postby DCAMOD » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Hello, I am new to these forums as of today but I may have a suggestion for you pertaining to this subject. Instead of going through all of the hard work of implementing software similar to these programs, why not create an optional mesh that would be compatible with the topology of the head models generated by these programs. I have been toying with facegen because it is the free one and the topology is compatible with the default genesis model in DAZ studio but I cannot customize the genesis model as elaborately as I can the make human models due to my lack of understanding how to create morph targets.
DCAMOD

Postby Manuel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:01 am

What do you mean with "topology compatible" ?
Manuel

Postby DCAMOD » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 am

What I mean is to make it so the head mesh easily connects and fits to the body mesh without the need to edit the topology to make it flow well or fit correctly because of the number of faces and the flow of the topology. The way the default genesis mesh in DAZ studio fits to the head mesh created in Facegen.
DCAMOD

Postby Manuel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:04 am

DCAMOD wrote:What I mean is to make it so the head mesh easily connects and fits to the body mesh without the need to edit the topology to make it flow well or fit correctly because of the number of faces and the flow of the topology. The way the default genesis mesh in DAZ studio fits to the head mesh created in Facegen.

Can you show us a screenshot?
Manuel

Postby DCAMOD » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 pm

I am currently working on doing this. I will get back to you when I have progressed to a level that is presentable.
DCAMOD

Postby DCAMOD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 pm

I retract my and edit post because I just had a breakthrough in my progress. Soon I will upload a step by step tutorial for those who would like to create their faces with Facegen and attach them to the makehuman bodies. I am using autodesk maya 2012 but the tutorial should turn out to be universal for those of you using blender as long as there is a smooth mesh feature in blender. As a side note I prefer the structure and realism of your head model I just wish that you had the features Facegen has for creating a face from a photo this was simply an experiment for me.
DCAMOD

Postby Sethren » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:41 pm

This is nothing new. The team posted some examples of a supposed working version in an old post some years back. It can be done but if it will be years away from being implemented, then it is not worth the wait. Life is unfortunately to short.

I'd help but as an illustrator, i was looking for anatomy references that would be easy to alter. Some day perhaps...
Sethren

Postby xxdb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 pm

DCAMOD wrote:I retract my and edit post because I just had a breakthrough in my progress. Soon I will upload a step by step tutorial for those who would like to create their faces with Facegen and attach them to the makehuman bodies. I am using autodesk maya 2012 but the tutorial should turn out to be universal for those of you using blender as long as there is a smooth mesh feature in blender. As a side note I prefer the structure and realism of your head model I just wish that you had the features Facegen has for creating a face from a photo this was simply an experiment for me.

How is the tutorial coming along? I'm also trying to get this to work automatically but it's pretty slow going because the topology of the neck doesn't match.

My manual steps are something like this:

1. Export .obj mesh from facegen
2. import into maya
3. cut off bottom three rows of faces from the neck of the facegen model
4. rescale the UV of the facegen model and rotate it so it's in approx the same position as the makehuman head in the makehuman UV
5. import the makehuman model.
6. cut the head off the makehuman model
7. resize the facegen head and move it into position through a very labor intensive trial and error manual effort
8. mesh combine the two models
9. go round manually removing excess edges from the neck seam of the makehuman model so it can be joined to the makehuman model
10. vertex by vertex merge each pair of vertexes round the neack seam to join the two models together.

steps #7 and #9 are the hardest parts.

#9 can be automated by recording the steps in mel script (as can everything once the flow is down - but it's not)
if it were possible to easily rescale and position the head into place the steps could be recorded in mel script.

I haven't gotten that far yet. How about you?
xxdb

Return to User contributions