What do MH staff think about "Daz Studio Hype?"

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

What do MH staff think about "Daz Studio Hype?"

Postby Brandy Farfan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 pm

What do you Makehuman crew members, think about the heavily hyped "Daz Studio?" Or others?
I'm just curious. It seems they have a "new ad everyday." He! He! I just saw another one a few days back.
Anyone can answer. Even non MH staff. :)
Brandy Farfan

Re: What do MH staff think about "Daz Studio Hype?"

Postby andy8222 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi,

I am not a member of the Makehuman crew, though I did the german language file. Luckily you said anyone can answer :D

Well, DAZ Studio, I downloaded it once and installed it. Then I wanted to start it for the first time, but I couldn't, the program asked me to register it. That is when I aborted it, and uninstalled it from my hard disk.
I don't use computer programs that require a registration at all. Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but in my opinion software should work without registration.

Apart from that, DAZ Studio itself might be free to download, but if you want to have more content than the standard models they provide, you have to pay for it. So it is not really "free of charge", when you have to pay extra for every new model.

That's my opinion, replies welcome 8-)
andy8222

Postby Brandy Farfan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Yay! Thanks for the reply andy8222.

They normally give you a Free registration code when you sign up, or download any of their free software, including Daz Studio.
But I think new Daz users, have to register Daz Studio, online as well. Which kinda kills the whole thing. You don't have to do that for Bryce or Hexagon. Which is neat. Bryce is cool. 8-) Good for making landscapes.
I noticed that the amount of money you have to spend on "content" for Daz, actually "Super Overshadows," the actual price of the Daz Studio software.
It's kinda sad though, :cry: to see so many people just "buying stuff" and limiting their creative 3D modelling abilities. :cry:

Everything seems to be just "given to them," for a "High price that is."
At the end of the day, I'd say "people dependent on buying 3D models and stuff," kind of lose out, in their creative abilities as 3D graphic artists. Sad.
But the software is cool though. I haven't installed Daz Studio yet.
I ended up installing Makehuman Alpha 7 instead. Real cool software. A good bit more work and Make human will be th "Bomb!" He! He! :D

But all in all I agree with your take andy8222. :D
Any more opinions anyone?
Brandy Farfan

Postby tjindy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

DAZ is commercial stuff. Has more well earned DEVs.
MH is free. Has well talented DEVs.

IMHO MH in close future will be very known and powerfull piece of software. More people knows about MH - more good things will happen :)
Personally - i love this software. It has nice import to blender, good (but not perfect) rigging system (in blender). It has very good mesh.. what else we need ? ;)
Sometimes i am wondering about pose system in MH - it is needed or don`t ? Or plugins for rendering under MH?
Anyway, MH is my number one :)

Regards
TJ
tjindy

Postby rock3d » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:22 am

I've had it for a year or two.
Don't like it.
It's more like putting a "Mr. Potato Head" together then like creating a piece of art and you have to go through WAY to many steps to do anything custom.
Mostly it seems to be a program designed to make you wish you had Poser.
rock3d

Postby Brandy Farfan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Wow! Thanks for the input so far guy's. You too Andy8222.

I've had it for a year or two.
Don't like it.
It's more like putting a "Mr. Potato Head" together then like creating a piece of art and you have to go through WAY to many steps to do anything custom.
Mostly it seems to be a program designed to make you wish you had Poser.
rock3d

Wow! Interesting post rock3d. :o
I noticed alot of people who have used Daz, tend to say "Poser is better."

Sometimes i am wondering about pose system in MH - it is needed or don`t ? Or plugins for rendering under MH?

Thanks for reply Tjindy. Me, I personally think the posing system is needed in MakeHuman. It'll come in handy for "now for now work."
Especially when someones job depends on it.
It'll be great if people can contribute some poses etc.
Hmm" I wonder how do you do that?" :?
Brandy Farfan

Postby ErinMarie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:58 pm

I've used Daz Studio since 2008 and actually I love it. I went from puttering around creating renders to learning how to create free content and how to distribute that content in a way that is both Daz Studio and Poser friendly. I started out with texture files for various things, then a few requested obj. files and now I'm trying to teach myself how to create character morphs. Granted, the newest version of Studio is a bit more confusing than previous versions. I personally hated using Poser, but to each their own.
Using Daz actually gave me the desire to learn how to create content, and I find myself enjoying that more than I do actually producing renders. Yes, you have to register, but the community there is awesome and I've gotten a lot of help from the people there.
ErinMarie

Postby Rhynedahll » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

I've tried Daz a few times, but never could get into it.

The interface feels non-intuitive and clumsy to me.

Also, Daz figures tend to be "pretty" and idealized and it seems more designed for people who want to play dress up dolls.

MH is very intuitive and easy to work with. The figures have a much more natural and realistic shape (with improvements ongoing) and it is quite easy to create a unique face and model.

MH figures also load directly into Blender while you have to jumpt through hoops to get a DAZ figure into it.
Orphan, an epic fantasy by H. Jonas Rhynedahll
The Key to Magic: Book One
Available on Kindle at Amazon: The Key to Magic
Rhynedahll

Postby BTolputt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 am

The best thing that can be said about DAZ Studio is that it allows users to use DAZ purchases without paying extra for Poser. It's also close to the worst software you can use for DAZ purchases. It's clunky, has an overly "sparkly" user interface, and is best suited to simply applying other people's creativity in a fashion similar to paper dolls and sticker books.

MakeHuman isn't quite there yet, but it has the capability to match DAZ in time because, let's face it, DAZ Studio doesn't really need to do much more than what it does now (though perhaps a little more intuitively). Personally, I think MakeHuman as a plugin to Blender with a better/nicer "asset library" add-on would probably make a worthy competitor to both Poser & DAZ Studio.
BTolputt

Return to Off topic