Getting Started with Python

MakeHuman python API, python plugins, etc

Moderator: joepal

Getting Started with Python

Postby tatome » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi,

I'm evaluating MakeHuman as a component of our VR environment. The GUI seems extremely flexible and powerful. To use it in my system, however, I'll need to create models programmatically, directly from Python.

I'm still looking, but I haven't found any pointers to how I would start to create a model and render it. I'd really just need an entry point to the API: some snippet of code, or a pointer to the one distribution file that contains all the relevant encantations, or a link to a piece of documentation, or maybe even a tutorial that I've missed.

I'm writing because I've been looking at the web page and the source code for a while to no avail and I'm sure it would make me and other people evaluating MakeHuman much more likely to use it if we had this kind of entry point somewhere accessible, like in this forum.

On the other hand, I am prone to overlooking things that are right in front of me, so apologies if there already is something like this and I've missed it.

Cheers,
Johannes
tatome

Re: Getting Started with Python

Postby duststorm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 am

I think that the scripting plugin (plugins/7_scripting.py) is a good place to start (available in the current nightly or svn version).
Applying modifiers is still a bit tedious to do from code, but I'm going to clean up the modifier API very soon.

I would also kindly like to note that MH is covered by the AGPL license which requires a GNU compatible license from all software that uses it, to protect our software from being embedded in commercial software without our consent. Are you developing an open VR system?

I am interested in knowing more about your research project, though :D
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Re: Getting Started with Python

Postby tatome » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.

The project I'm evaluating MakeHuman for is academic research, so there shouldn't be a problem with the license. If this ever makes it to the stage where we have a software anybody else might want to use, we'll probably release it as open source.

What we want to do is build a VR environment in which we can train and test learning robots in perceptual and human-robot interaction tasks. There's a little video on my webpage at http://www.tatome.de/index.php?id=34. For general information about our research, check out our group's webpage at http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/WTM/ (in particular the videos section).

I'll let you know if we end up using MakeHuman in our VR software.
tatome

Return to Python scripts