Import obj hair to blender 2.6

MakeHuman python API, python plugins, etc

Moderator: joepal

Import obj hair to blender 2.6

Postby pyrochlore » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:13 am

Hi all,
I'm trying to import hair curves in obj format to blender 2.6 using the blender plugin provided by 'script io_import_hair.py' in makehuman.
The script is for blender 2.5, so I try to make it work for blender 2.6.
I found the only different in python module support by blender 2.6 is the position attribute of hair key.
e.g.
blender 2.5 -> key.co_hair_space
blender 2.6 -> key.co or key.co_local

After this modification, though there are no more warning or error messages, the result is complete wrong.

Any one could give me some suggestion about this? I need to import the hair curves correctly. Thanks!!
pyrochlore

Re: Import obj hair to blender 2.6

Postby duststorm » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:54 pm

pyrochlore wrote:I'm trying to import hair curves in obj format to blender 2.6 using the blender plugin provided by 'script io_import_hair.py' in makehuman.
The script is for blender 2.5, so I try to make it work for blender 2.6.

Unfortunately this experiment has been abandoned in recent MH versions. The maintainer is not active on the project anymore and I don't believe there is anyone to support it.
We have decided to only support polygonal hair meshes using the proxy technology in the current releases, as the experiment with hair curves didn't provide very satisfying results and doesn't work in realtime.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Personally my approach to hair for MH humans has been to use the Cycles particle system and "grow" the hair. I'm soon going to post an article to my blog about this as I've spent hours researching the best approaches to do that. Early on I made the mistake of trying to just grow hair from all over the scalp all at once.

More on this topic later.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Postby duststorm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:08 pm

SaltyCowdawg wrote:I'm soon going to post an article to my blog about this as I've spent hours researching the best approaches to do that.

Be sure to post us a link when you do! :)
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Python scripts