MakeClothes import into Blender

MakeHuman python API, python plugins, etc

Moderator: joepal

MakeClothes import into Blender

Postby OpTimusGriM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Okay for starters I have the latest release of MakeHuman, the V7a, and I have blender 2.66.1. I'm not sure what build I got the script from, I thought I did a fresh install of makehuman but parts of the older version stuck around. I believe its from the 7a.... I've been trying to import the python script for MakeClothes and MakeHair over to Blender without much luck. I have done this before with the older versions of the programs, and I know that with every release of Blender they change the API or whatever and it breaks the script. Is there a way to still do this? Or will there be a way with future releases? I hate to be a pain, but I would really like this to work again. I do understand that this tool is more for developers, which I am not, but I think that this a great feature that used to be possible. If anyone has figured this out yet or know a solution please let me know. Thanks!
OpTimusGriM

Re: MakeClothes import into Blender

Postby duststorm » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 am

I'm not sure that the blender scripts that come with the 1.0 alpha 7 release are compatible with blender 2.66.
The alpha 7 release proposes to use Blender 2.6.1.
Blender 2.66 is supported by the scripts in the current svn version of makehuman (the pure-python A8 that will hopefully be released somewhere this summer), but they only work with mhx exports done with a more recent version of MakeHuman.

If you insist on using blender 2.66, and want to stick with the current stable version of MakeHuman, a workaround could be to install blender 2.6.1 alongside 2.6.6 on your system. Import your mhx file in blender 2.6.1, save it as a blend file, then open the blend file in the latest blender.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby OpTimusGriM » Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Duststorm you're a gentleman and a scholar bud! I really wanted to import the plug-in but I'll play around with that instead. How stable is the svn version? Is it friendly enough for artists to use?
OpTimusGriM

Postby joepal » Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 pm

OpTimusGriM wrote:Duststorm you're a gentleman and a scholar bud! I really wanted to import the plug-in but I'll play around with that instead. How stable is the svn version? Is it friendly enough for artists to use?

I'd say it is at least as stable in the sense "not crashing and eating your harddrive" as the alpha 7 release, but it might still change around a bit between updates. It will probably play nicer with the latest releases of blender anyway.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby duststorm » Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 pm

The trouble is that we will be doing some big changes to the svn version in the near future, with the new basemesh going in, which will probably break some things that will need some time to fix.
The current state of svn is, however, quite useable. And a good deal of effort has already been put in documenting it. Of course there are still little things we need to iron out.

We will probably do some kind of announcement and post a zip file with the svn version right before we move in the new basemesh, so that users can stick to that version for a while until we straighten out the issues.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby OpTimusGriM » Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 am

Thanks a bunch for the prompt replies, and joepal thanks for pointing me in this direction when I was chattimg in IRC with you. I posted something similar on the Facebook and it didn't go that far... Thanks again, you guys are awesome and I appreciate the hard work you guys are putting in to this. This is why I love open source and the communities that surround it.
OpTimusGriM

Postby OpTimusGriM » Thu May 09, 2013 4:08 am

I still can't do this with the svn... Something's getting messed up somehow and blender just isn't recognizing it. Oh we'll thanks for the assistance. I'll sleep on it a few times and try to come up with something. Lol
OpTimusGriM

Postby duststorm » Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am

OpTimusGriM wrote:I still can't do this with the svn... Something's getting messed up somehow and blender just isn't recognizing it. Oh we'll thanks for the assistance. I'll sleep on it a few times and try to come up with something. Lol

Open blender from the terminal or open blender terminal under windows. Make sure there are no exceptions when attempting import. If there are, post them here and we can help you.
Use blender 2.66a together with the scripts in svn, make sure you delete any mh scripts that ship with blender before you add new ones.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Python scripts