If you know MH code and functionning, I need your advice!

MakeHuman python API, python plugins, etc

Moderator: joepal

If you know MH code and functionning, I need your advice!

Postby J0nathan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 am

So I have a (quite ambitious I Believe) project that needs me to do alot of modifications to Makehuman, I dont know Python yet but I have programming background and I can mostly understand when i'm reading a Python code, a few weeks of heavy study and I should know enough.

But before diving into it (and because I don't want to "waste" time spending weeks of studying Python and Makehuman's code) I want to know the feasability of my project

Here are the things that I want to do:

First create a makehuman body, bring it in Blender to modify it quite a bite (but not touching it's topology)
I need a custom skeleton on it, I need different weightgroups, Remake the UV Maps, and I need to divide it in a few materials
Then I need to make this the default of Makehuman

Once I got that, I would isolate the parts of MH dealing with the head, face, neck, facial expressions, and of course exporting functions
Then! Turn the result of all thats left into a web app using JS and WebGL (And as I said, I dont know Python yet, but the python code works for webdev right? is it just a matter of changing to cgi or this is just a parial implementation?)

My biggest questions are about the first parts of the project
I looked up a little bit the code of MH and I notice the weightgroups and such are in json files (same following question goes for the UVmap files, Skeletons, Materials division) , How would I go about generating those? and can I change the default that much while not messing up the rest and having to rewrite the whole targets?

If anybody knowing Makehuman functionning and Python could tell me if that's possible and give me advices and paths to follow you would be amazingly helpful

Thanks!
J0nathan

Re: If you know MH code and functionning, I need your advice

Postby duststorm » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:09 am

You're not entirely clear on what you want to do exactly, but I assume you want to create a web version of MakeHuman with a different default model.

Before continuing, consider under what license you will be prepared to release your application. MakeHuman is licensed under AGPL3 license, which means that you must release the source code of your modifications with the same license, even if you only intend to host the application yourself.

What you want to do is possible, although it is possbile you need to modify anywhere from 20 to a few 100s of targets, depending on exactly how much you want your mesh to differ from the original. Just keep in mind that the MH morphing data is licensed under AGPLv3 so any application that uses them, or a derivate of them, needs to be released under the same conditions.

There are big omissions in your idea, most importantly being the architecture: will the morphing happen on the client side or on the server side, how will communication between client and server happen? MakeHuman uses SSE optimized SIMD instructions implemented in native compiled C or fortran code to deal with morphing the mesh in real time. I am not certain pure javascript will be able to perform fast enough to offer an interactive experience.

But if you want to help us a web version of MakeHuman we welcome your effort. It's been a long wish of mine to see it work with webgl, but time does not allow me to experiment with this right now.

There have been discussions and clarifications about MH's license (and how we implement and interpret it) similar to this before, please read up on those to avoid asking the same questions again.
viewtopic.php?p=23649#p23649
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10937
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10863
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Return to Python scripts