Daz Free Software

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Daz Free Software

Postby Sethren » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:21 am

Over at Daz, Daz Studio Pro, Bryce 7 Pro and Hexagon 2.5 is free.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/free-3d-softw ... _btn=start
Sethren

Re: Daz Free Software

Postby joepal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 am

Pity you are required to sign up for spam to try it...

(although I guess it's honest of them to actually say they're going to spam you in return for downloading the free package)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby existentia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am

Email accounts are free. They only send new product announcements and price markdown notices anyway. The real problem is that the current version won't load add-ons for the previous version, and DAE export is broken. So after jumping through all the hoops, I got nothing of use from them. They seem to release bug-fixes every few weeks though, so maybe later it'll be worth another look.
existentia

Postby robertltux » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 pm

existentia wrote:Email accounts are free. They only send new product announcements and price markdown notices anyway. The real problem is that the current version won't load add-ons for the previous version, and DAE export is broken. So after jumping through all the hoops, I got nothing of use from them. They seem to release bug-fixes every few weeks though, so maybe later it'll be worth another look.

the important thing is that THEY ARE GIVING FREE LICENSES OUT so the real value of this is that you can now (assuming you get the installers from somewhere) install a "legit" copy without dropping $800 bucks.

heck if i was Daz3d i would toss the installers into "that network" with a note requesting the downloaders signup on the Daz3d site to get the serials.
robertltux

Postby brkurt » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 pm

The present DAZ 3d software is quite useful as an adjunct to Makehuman/Blender; the only caveat is since so many people are using this open-source combination, there is nothing particularly unique in DAZ. It does however, make a fine sub-surfed mesh model that can be rigged in Blender. I use it mostly to compare to the Makehuman mesh as there are some very wide differences between the two. To see what I mean, check out the eye and mouth face loops or edge rings for yourself. Finally, since the Sintel Lite model is now free on the net, DAZ has no great advantages if you know your Blender. But, 'Rosa' still happened and that's an impressive piece of DAZ. ;)
brkurt

Postby robertltux » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:12 pm

brkurt wrote: Finally, since the Sintel Lite model is now free on the net, DAZ has no great advantages if you know your Blender.

and for us punter/mere humans Daz studio/Hexagon gives us a chance to do some "fun" stuff.
robertltux

Postby Sethren » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Indeed, not everyone is a Blender user here. I can make heads and tails with Modo, Cinema 4D, Maya but i am flubbed by Blender.
Sethren

Postby brkurt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:14 am

A point well taken. In the last week of posting I've seen important topics come up that are not purely technical. I'll highlight just three:

(1) Makehuman, although originally developed as a Blender script, is no longer directly connected to Blender. Blender's supersonic development speed--I can't think of anything like it in the industry, definitely not anything by AutoCAD--often creates problems for Makehuman. :?

(2) If Makehuman takes off as I think it will, the use of makeup and hair styling will become critical; as well as quick clothing changes. There are some very powerful clothing design packages in the commercial field; should Makehuman spend more time developing exports for those, and less for Blender? :shock:

(3) Is Makehuman an academic exercise, or is its goal commercial? If the latter is the goal, then the focus should be on creating an Android smartphone app. I've posted on this before; I believe the real money/power in Makehuman is creating the first open-source, universal 'talking heada' for smartphones; the Looxis people most likely think the same. You know: use for smart phone for front and profile shots (two clicks) and on the third click, real-time animations, complete with facial expressions. 8-)

All of these three areas would mean taking time off Blender integration and focusing commercial apps instead. :o
brkurt

Postby mflerackers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 am

For commercial apps you need a much bigger team, and not just volunteers spending some of their free time on it.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby brkurt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Thank you! Notice that I am merely responding, not creating the topic.
It's important to note that as more people come on board to use Makehuman,
they keep their hopes modest.

For my money, I use Makehuman + Gimp + Blender + OpenShot; perhaps not the most feature rich, but all open-source.
brkurt

Next

Return to Off topic