Hey everybody

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Hey everybody

Postby LynnSpyre » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:05 pm

I thought I would pop in and say hi, introduce myself.

I'm Lynn, I'm a VRM artist. I make rigs for vtubing and vrchat, but potentially any number of new metaverse platforms that pop up in the future. Creatively, I occupy that space just between software engineer and concept artist, where I do a little of both. I skew technical, but enjoy working with texture painting. I work a lot with Blender and Unity, but I wouldn't consider myself a game developer.

So, I've been looking for new ways to build models that aren't vroid studio. I've tried a number of things. Spent three weeks liberating sims4 characters, with mixed results. It can be done, but their rigs aren't really designed for talking. And you can get them there, but it's work. Real work. I've also tried working with Wolf3d models, and those work fairly consistently, but they have this look to them. There are really only maybe a dozen models they use. The system isn't as dynamic as I had hoped it would be with model generation. And I want to make things that are weird, and fun and unique. I've also toyed with things in the unity asset store, but I don't usually get the kind of dynamism I'm looking for from them.

This weekend, I began experimenting with Makehuman models. And it was fun, because I was able to hit varying degrees of realism fairly quickly, once I figured out how materials and geometries worked. I also figured out how to do the direct import on Blender 2.83, which mostly works. I was amazed and fascinated that blendshapes could be done this way. Once I knew what I was doing with it, the only thing I really had to go in and fix was the foot posing, which goes a little sideways when models are wearing heels. But I was able to make one that mostly looked like, and I was able to make her dance. It was fun.

The things I'm interested in looking into now are:
1. Programmatic face generation from reference photos
2. Arkit Blendsahpes

I have leads on both, which I'm following up on with all the veracity of a puppy with a new chew toy!

Anyway, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post something like this, as I don't have any questions just yet.
But I figured I would drop it here anyway.
LynnSpyre

Re: Hey everybody

Postby loki1950 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:35 pm

Welcome aboard Lynn have fun with the new toy BTW there are special foot poses to handle heels of various heights they can be combined with specific shoes.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby tomcat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:48 pm

You have a great portfolio. Your experience could be useful in my project.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby LynnSpyre » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:27 pm

loki1950 wrote:Welcome aboard Lynn have fun with the new toy BTW there are special foot poses to handle heels of various heights they can be combined with specific shoes.

Enjoy the Choice :)

I figured there had to be.
The way i got through it last night was by editing the mesh. Hiding, optimizing, remeshing.
But that gave my poor model a case of unity quicksand feet. That happens occasionally when I do stuff like that at the bottom of the rig.

What I'm really excited about though, is making skin and makeup textures. Fun, weird, punky stuffs
LynnSpyre

Postby Ricardo2020 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:47 am

Welcome to the Community, Lynn.

Glad to have you here. I look forward to seeing what you do with MakeHuman.
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:09 pm

Greetings and Welcome Lynne and Daisy!

I have been really busy in real life but things are settling down for me somewhat now, glad to see all the new faces and ideas milling about :D

Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Return to Off topic