Looking for help on a project

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Looking for help on a project

Postby granadajose » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi all,

I've been toying with both Blender and MakeHuman for quite a long time, but it seems that I'd better accept that modelling and posing are not my best skills. To see what I mean, just take a look at one of my creations:

Not too good, really. And I only managed to do that after taking a course on Blender at the university and a lot of work.

The point is that I think I'm better at other things (such as programming), but I need some graphics for a fitness-themed project. After feeling quite frustrated for quite a long time, it has come to my mind that maybe there's someone who could be interested in creating the graphics. I sometimes take a look at the images in the Gallery forum and some of them are so incredible and realistic that I think that I wouldn't be able to achieve those results.

I would also like to clarify that I have no commercial interests in this project. I like doing some programming for fun and I would just like to meet someone with graphic skills interested in working together in a project. That being said, if we create something cool and we decide to go bigger, it would be great.

Well, I think this post went larger thant I thought, thanks for reading this far!
granadajose

Re: Looking for help on a project

Postby MargaretToigo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm

There is a whole library of poses available in User Contributed Assets here:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/poses.html

Now, these poses may not be exactly what you need, but many of the poses will get you close so that you only need to make a few adjustments to get your human into the pose you want.

There is also a "Suggest a Pose" thread where you can make requests for new poses:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11816&start=80
MargaretToigo

Postby granadajose » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Many thanks! It's a wonderful resource that may be helpful to solve many headaches with some difficult poses!

I would also like to get a great model to apply the poses. I have been trying again to create a valid base model, but the results are just meh. The main issue is the skin, I feel it just doesn't feel realistic. I've seen that there is there are some models and skins contributed by the users at:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/skins.html
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/models.html

However, while some of them are awesome, I haven't find anything fit for the purpose.
granadajose

Postby MargaretToigo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 pm

There is a thread here that's all about making realistic-looking skin. There are some really great renders in there, too.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545

I'm not really into the realism thing myself as I usually do cartoon-like work, though it is kinda fun to try and make stuff look real sometimes.
MargaretToigo

Postby granadajose » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Yesss! They are fantastic! That's the kind of render that leave me breathless!

I also like to toon style, but in this specific project, I think that a realistic approach is more adequate, in order to render accurately the movement that the user should do.

Moreover, I think that the realistic renders would open some interesting possibilities! Wouldn't it be great to be trained by Chris Pratt, Beyonce, Daniel Craig, Jennifer Lawrence or any other celebrity?
granadajose

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:27 am

granadajose wrote:Hi all,

I've been toying with both Blender and MakeHuman for quite a long time, but it seems that I'd better accept that modelling and posing are not my best skills. To see what I mean, just take a look at one of my creations:

Not too good, really. And I only managed to do that after taking a course on Blender at the university and a lot of work.

The point is that I think I'm better at other things (such as programming), but I need some graphics for a fitness-themed project. After feeling quite frustrated for quite a long time, it has come to my mind that maybe there's someone who could be interested in creating the graphics. I sometimes take a look at the images in the Gallery forum and some of them are so incredible and realistic that I think that I wouldn't be able to achieve those results.

I would also like to clarify that I have no commercial interests in this project. I like doing some programming for fun and I would just like to meet someone with graphic skills interested in working together in a project. That being said, if we create something cool and we decide to go bigger, it would be great.

Well, I think this post went larger thant I thought, thanks for reading this far!

I take it that you are working in Blender; if so, you need to unlock Rotation on the bones, so that you can control the mesh better. You may have to add bones, too such as latissimus (though I call it 'armpit') to separate out that part of the mesh from the shoulder.

Here's a rough example from a while ago (I do better work now, but folks like this one):

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9626&p=20445&hilit=gogogirl#p20445
brkurt

Postby granadajose » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 pm

brkurt wrote:I take it that you are working in Blender; if so, you need to unlock Rotation on the bones, so that you can control the mesh better. You may have to add bones, too such as latissimus (though I call it 'armpit') to separate out that part of the mesh from the shoulder.

Here's a rough example from a while ago (I do better work now, but folks like this one):
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9626&p=20445&hilit=gogogirl#p20445

First of all, congratulations for your awesome work! It's really impressive, specially the posing.

I'll try to apply your tip to improve my work, but I'm afraid that my Blender knowledge and experience is quite basic. I think that I simply am not a visual person. Sometimes I think that I'b better try to join efforts with someone with similar interests (fitness apps, home workouts, etc), but I don't even know how to start looking for someone with those interests.
granadajose

Postby brkurt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 pm

granadajose wrote:
brkurt wrote:I take it that you are working in Blender; if so, you need to unlock Rotation on the bones, so that you can control the mesh better. You may have to add bones, too such as latissimus (though I call it 'armpit') to separate out that part of the mesh from the shoulder.

First of all, congratulations for your awesome work! It's really impressive, specially the posing.

I'll try to apply your tip to improve my work, but I'm afraid that my Blender knowledge and experience is quite basic. I think that I simply am not a visual person. Sometimes I think that I'b better try to join efforts with someone with similar interests (fitness apps, home workouts, etc), but I don't even know how to start looking for someone with those interests.

You're in luck; I'm a power lifter, and I design my own equipment in the machine shop on our complex. I usually go to the gym to work out poses 'from the inside'. If you'd like to work a project together, I'm interested. I'm fully employed, so money isn't an issue. Most my present work can be seen here: http://nuegua.geekopolis.ca
brkurt

Postby granadajose » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 pm

brkurt wrote:You're in luck; I'm a power lifter, and I design my own equipment in the machine shop on our complex. I usually go to the gym to work out poses 'from the inside'. If you'd like to work a project together, I'm interested. I'm fully employed, so money isn't an issue. Most my present work can be seen here: http://nuegua.geekopolis.ca

Great!!! I'd love to tell you my ideas and the work I've done. As this conversation is going a bit ouf of topic, maybe it's more adequate using a personal email account to continue the conversation. I have a gmail account with the username "granadayjose".

Regards,
granadajose

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 pm

granadajose wrote:
brkurt wrote:You're in luck; I'm a power lifter, and I design my own equipment in the machine shop on our complex. I usually go to the gym to work out poses 'from the inside'. If you'd like to work a project together, I'm interested. I'm fully employed, so money isn't an issue. Most my present work can be seen here: http://nuegua.geekopolis.ca

Great!!! I'd love to tell you my ideas and the work I've done. As this conversation is going a bit ouf of topic, maybe it's more adequate using a personal email account to continue the conversation. I have a gmail account with the username "granadayjose".

Regards,

My gmail account is---wait for it---"brkurt". I know, not terribly creative. ;)
brkurt

Return to Off topic